Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Marco van de Voort
On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 02:34:40PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:

> That was WinForms which is basically deprecated today. In contrary to
> the C WinAPI world the .NET GUI world changes very fast and very
> radically ^^

Huh? WPF has been advocated for ages (and is indeed Microsofts prefered
technology), but afaik WinForms 2.0 is still the more used tech?

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Marco van de Voort
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:02:09PM +0100, Michael Schnell wrote:
> >> Although I'm not that a big fan of the move, I won't be pessimistic
> >> about it. :P
> > For e.g. webapps it is IMHO perfectly fine.
> But Delphi Prism would be just as fine and still be preserve some Object
> Pascal competence.

Prism is such a small market, and it would require much more than a little
dialect similarity to go there.

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Marco van de Voort
On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 12:47:33PM +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>  But what about new employees? What if you need external consultants
>  etc.? It's a *lot* easier to find C# (Java, C++ ... even Python)
>  developers than Delphi developers.

We always target both C++ and Delphi devels. In our experience you can
easier retrain a good C++ programmer than have a beginning programmer with
delphi knowledge gain experience.

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Sven Barth
On 20.02.2011 19:29, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 02:34:40PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
>>
>> That was WinForms which is basically deprecated today. In contrary to
>> the C WinAPI world the .NET GUI world changes very fast and very
>> radically ^^
>
> Huh? WPF has been advocated for ages (and is indeed Microsofts prefered
> technology), but afaik WinForms 2.0 is still the more used tech?

Of course this is not an official statement from Microsoft, but the
article on WinForms on Wikipedia (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation ) writes
this: Windows Forms has been in effect superseded by Windows
Presentation Foundation

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

wkitty42
On 2/20/2011 14:45, Sven Barth wrote:
> On 20.02.2011 19:29, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>> Huh? WPF has been advocated for ages (and is indeed Microsofts prefered
>> technology), but afaik WinForms 2.0 is still the more used tech?
>
> Of course this is not an official statement from Microsoft, but the article on
> WinForms on Wikipedia (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation ) writes this:
> Windows Forms has been in effect superseded by Windows Presentation Foundation

[OS/2 experience rearing its ugly head]
i have to wonder if and how much of the above may be related to the original
OS/2 Presentation Manager stuffings or if it is simply a name that is close to
what was once shared by m$ and IBM ;)
[\OS/2 experience rearing its ugly head]

NOTE: i smile and wink all the time... emoticons or their lack in my messages
are not to be used to convey any quantity of seriousness... almost everything i
post is serious with some humor and joking also conveyed... i think ;)

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Sven Barth
On 21.02.2011 04:21, waldo kitty wrote:

> On 2/20/2011 14:45, Sven Barth wrote:
>> On 20.02.2011 19:29, Marco van de Voort wrote:
>>> Huh? WPF has been advocated for ages (and is indeed Microsofts prefered
>>> technology), but afaik WinForms 2.0 is still the more used tech?
>>
>> Of course this is not an official statement from Microsoft, but the
>> article on
>> WinForms on Wikipedia (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation ) writes
>> this:
>> Windows Forms has been in effect superseded by Windows Presentation
>> Foundation
>
> [OS/2 experience rearing its ugly head]
> i have to wonder if and how much of the above may be related to the
> original OS/2 Presentation Manager stuffings or if it is simply a name
> that is close to what was once shared by m$ and IBM ;)
> [\OS/2 experience rearing its ugly head]

I'd say that Microsoft has long forgotten its OS/2 past with IBM...
after all they've removed the OS/2 subsystem from Windows after Windows
2000.

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Marco van de Voort
On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:45:59PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
> Of course this is not an official statement from Microsoft, but the
> article on WinForms on Wikipedia (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation ) writes
> this: Windows Forms has been in effect superseded by Windows
> Presentation Foundation

That's because WPF is the base of Silverlight, which they wanted to push,
also for applications.

As far as I know it only grabbed a small market share.

Re: [Lazarus] fpGUI

Michael Van Canneyt

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 08:45:59PM +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
>> Of course this is not an official statement from Microsoft, but the
>> article on WinForms on Wikipedia (
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Presentation_Foundation ) writes
>> this: Windows Forms has been in effect superseded by Windows
>> Presentation Foundation
>
> That's because WPF is the base of Silverlight, which they wanted to push,
> also for applications.

Just like .NET (and so Windows Forms) "superseded" Win32.

Meanwhile, Win32 is still around and functioning just fine.
And as long as Microsoft supports Visual C++, win32 will be around.

It's mostly about marketing; very little about technology.
Microsoft needs to make money, as any commercial enterprise.