[Lazarus] visual appearance of ReadOnly state widgets

[Lazarus] visual appearance of ReadOnly state widgets

Is it normal for read-only LCL widgets to look identical to their
Read/Write state?

For example in fpGUI read-only widgets look visibly different.
See attached animated GIF.

But with a LCL application I'm working on, read-only widgets don't
have any indication that they are read-only at all. The only slight
change is in the Calendar ComboBox widget where the icon is greyed
out.

And to make matters worse, a ReadOnly TComboBox allows me to change the
focusitem via a mouse, adding to the confusion.

I'm using LCL-GTK2 in the second screenshot, but this application run
on Linux, Windows and OSX.

Is my only LCL option to make them ReadOnly = False, and Enabled
= False?

Regards,
  Graeme

readonly_test.gif (29K) Download Attachment
screenshot_lcl.png (31K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] visual appearance of ReadOnly state widgets

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 10.05.2017 16:40, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> And to make matters worse, a ReadOnly TComboBox allows me to change the
> focusitem via a mouse, adding to the confusion.

It is made like in Delphi's r/o combobox. In Lazarus better use
Enabled:=false and it has indication for some controls. Not for all. I
suggested indication for disabled Grid.

Alexey

Re: [Lazarus] visual appearance of ReadOnly state widgets

I just did a little test in Qt Designer.

There seems to be no difference in QLineEdit (TEdit). There is sometimes difference in editable and non-editable QComboBox (depends on style - QtCurve, Oxygen, Breeze are different, Windows style is identical).

OTOH, your fpGUI read-only controls looks like disabled, which may be confusing.

V.

> Datum: 10.05.2017 15:40
> Předmět: [Lazarus] visual appearance of ReadOnly state widgets

Hi,

On 2017-05-10 15:08, Alexey via Lazarus wrote:
> It is made like in Delphi's r/o combobox.

Well, then both are broken.

> In Lazarus better use Enabled:=false and it has indication for some
> controls.

1) The problem with Enabled = False is that in then greys the text
    too. Thus making in very hard to read. See attached screenshot.
    Alos see the difference in fpGUI's ReadOnly = True where the text
    is still in Black - only the background indication changed.

2) Some controls?? Here we go with the LCL inconsistency again. :-/

Regards,
   Graeme

Screenshot_enabled_false.png (14K) Download Attachment

On 2017-05-10 15:26, Vojtěch Čihák via Lazarus wrote:
> your fpGUI read-only controls looks like disabled, which may be confusing.

In fpGUI, with Enabled = False, the text is greyed out too. Same for
buttons in ComboBoxes, Edit Button widgets etc. In read-only mode the
text is still in Black (or whatever text color the component was set
at), and buttons are still visually "enabled".

Regards,
   Graeme

On 10.05.2017 17:35, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> 2) Some controls?? Here we go with the LCL inconsistency again. :-/
I suggested pch [gray color for disabled] for Grids, not accepted yet.
Can do pch for Treeview and etc.

Alexey

On 10.05.2017 15:40, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> Is it normal for read-only LCL widgets to look identical to their
> Read/Write state?

Yes.

Ondrej

On 2017-05-10 16:05, Alexey via Lazarus wrote:
> I suggested pch [gray color for disabled] for Grids, not accepted yet.
> Can do pch for Treeview and etc.

Thanks for your feedback and warning about some controls with Enabled =
False state.

Regards,
   Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] visual appearance of ReadOnly state widgets

On 10.05.2017 15:40, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it normal for read-only LCL widgets to look identical to their
> Read/Write state?

Yes, LCL behaves exactly as underlaying widgetset says so.

> For example in fpGUI read-only widgets look visibly different.
> See attached animated GIF.

Looks pretty wrong to me. It's big difference between ReadOnly and Enabled.

zeljko

On 2017-05-10 17:21, zeljko wrote:
>> For example in fpGUI read-only widgets look visibly different.
>> See attached animated GIF.
> Looks pretty wrong to me. It's big difference between ReadOnly and Enabled.

Well, they visually indicate to the end-user the ReadOnly or Enabled
state, without the user having to guess or do trial-and-error (try and
change something in a widget, just to find out you can't). LCL gives no
visual cues.

Regards,
   Graeme

On 10.05.2017 18:29, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:

> On 2017-05-10 17:21, zeljko wrote:
>>> For example in fpGUI read-only widgets look visibly different.
>>> See attached animated GIF.
>> Looks pretty wrong to me. It's big difference between ReadOnly and
>> Enabled.
>
> Well, they visually indicate to the end-user the ReadOnly or Enabled
> state, without the user having to guess or do trial-and-error (try and
> change something in a widget, just to find out you can't). LCL gives no
> visual cues.

Again: it's not LCL, but widgetset (win32, qt, gtk2 etc). If widgetset
gives some visual feedback about readonly state then LCL shows it
exactly like it is. No more no less.

zeljko