[Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I just did a new install on my laptop. I installed 1.6.4-0_amd64.deb,
with fpc-src_3.0.0-151205_amd64.deb,
and fpc_3.0.0-151205_amd64.deb. The operating system is linux mint 17-2 cinnamon.

All the packages compile, but when I try to install them or compile an application, I get an 'Error: Error while linking.'

Where do I start to look?

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

On 06/02/2017 07:15 PM, Larry Dalton via Lazarus wrote:

> I just did a new install on my laptop. I installed 1.6.4-0_amd64.deb,
> with fpc-src_3.0.0-151205_amd64.deb,
> and fpc_3.0.0-151205_amd64.deb. The operating system is linux mint 17-2
> cinnamon.
>
> All the packages compile, but when I try to install them or compile an
> application, I get an 'Error: Error while linking.'
>
> Where do I start to look?

I'd suggest installing the binutils package.

Regards,
Paul
www.ControlPascal.com

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Thanks Paul. Installed the package but still got same error. Next step?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 2, 2017, at 21:14, Paul Breneman via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 06/02/2017 07:15 PM, Larry Dalton via Lazarus wrote:
>> I just did a new install on my laptop. I installed 1.6.4-0_amd64.deb,
>> with fpc-src_3.0.0-151205_amd64.deb,
>> and fpc_3.0.0-151205_amd64.deb. The operating system is linux mint 17-2
>> cinnamon.
>> All the packages compile, but when I try to install them or compile an
>> application, I get an 'Error: Error while linking.'
>> Where do I start to look?
>
> I'd suggest installing the binutils package.
>
> Regards,
> Paul
> www.ControlPascal.com

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 22:38:35 -0500
Larry Dalton via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Paul. Installed the package but still got same error. Next step?

What is your binutils version?

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
How do I find out?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 00:23, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 22:38:35 -0500
> Larry Dalton via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Paul. Installed the package but still got same error. Next step?
>
> What is your binutils version?
>

> Mattias

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

It is 2.24

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 00:23, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 22:38:35 -0500
> Larry Dalton via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Paul. Installed the package but still got same error. Next step?
>
> What is your binutils version?
>

> Mattias

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

  Click Messages window, right-click, and call "Filter hints w/o source
pos",
then you can see details about linking-error in messages, post it.
Alexey

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I am not a Linux expert. I have run Sudo apt-get update, then downloaded binutils 2.28. How do I replace the old version (2.24) with downloaded version (2.28)?

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 3, 2017, at 06:00, Alexey via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Click Messages window, right-click, and call "Filter hints w/o source pos",
> then you can see details about linking-error in messages, post it.
> Alexey

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 3 Jun 2017 07:05:03 -0500
Larry Dalton via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am not a Linux expert. I have run Sudo apt-get update, then downloaded binutils 2.28. How do I replace the old version (2.24) with downloaded version (2.28)?

If you are not a Linux expert you should stay with the binutils of your
distribution.

I will try to build a more compatible fpc deb in a few days.

If you don't want to wait that long, I recommend to install fpc 3.0.0
and build Lazarus on your own:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Installing_Lazarus#Installing_from_source

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Am 03.06.2017 um 14:24 schrieb Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus:
> I will try to build a more compatible fpc deb in a few days.
Could it be used on Pi Zero W (Raspian Jessie, ARMv6)?

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 11:22:06 +0200
Joe via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 03.06.2017 um 14:24 schrieb Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus:
> > I will try to build a more compatible fpc deb in a few days.
> Could it be used on Pi Zero W (Raspian Jessie, ARMv6)?

AFAIK ARMv6 and amd64 are not compatible.

Re: [Lazarus] linking error

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I re-installed 1.6.2 with its fpc and fpc-arc and had no problems

Sent from my iPhone