[Lazarus] inconviniance....

Eduard Filipas
hi

inconviniance is that when having lazarus open and working on project
and then clicking via explorer on some file it will open another
instance of lazarus and opening same project and open a file ....and
then you get this warnings that file changed on disk that exe cannot bi
built ..now on win 7 is easyly to overlook that you have same program
opened twice ...but when your into coding your mind is not on such litle
things and then you go ...what the hell!?.... i hope you get the
picture.... its wery annoying ....theres no need to automaticly open
last project ...i can survive if i have to make one click on open recent
project...i hope there will be someone agreeing with me ...or ill just
die :DD

regards
Eduard Filipas

Re: [Lazarus] inconviniance....

Rich Saunders
On 3/17/11 6:09 PM, Eduard Filipas wrote:
> inconviniance is that when having lazarus open and working on project
> and then clicking via explorer on some file it will open another
> instance of lazarus and opening same project and open a file ....and
> then you get this warnings that file changed on disk that exe cannot
> bi built.
I agree with Eduard that this is annoying and we should have the ability
to NOT have the last project automatically loaded when Lazarus starts.
Is that not a configuration choice?

DSK

Re: [Lazarus] inconviniance....

DSK
Rich,

>>and then clicking via explorer on some file it will open another  instance
>>of lazarus

>I agree with Eduard that this is annoying and we should have the ability
>to NOT have the last project automatically loaded when Lazarus starts. Is
>that not a configuration choice?

The ability to NOT have the last project automatically loaded when Lazarus
starts does exist.
>>Environment
Environment,
Open last project on start checkbox.

That won't work if it's a file you have [dbl]clicked on ... Eduards case.

Not sure what would solve the problem Eduard has ... some want to be able
to open additional IDEs.
--
DSK
Posted with XanaNews 1.19.1.269

Re: [Lazarus] inconviniance....

Rich Saunders
On 3/17/11 7:39 PM, DSK wrote:

> The ability to NOT have the last project automatically loaded when
> Lazarus starts does exist.
>>> Environment
> Environment,
> Open last project on start checkbox.
>
> That won't work if it's a file you have [dbl]clicked on ... Eduards case.
>
> Not sure what would solve the problem Eduard has ... some want to be
> able to open additional IDEs.
I don't think the problem is solely in opening an additional IDE
instance. Doing that would be OK if the project opened in the first
instance is not touched when the second instance is started. The problem
sounds like it is when the second instance opens the already-opened
project.

If the "Open last project on start" is not checked, why does the IDE
open the last project when you double click on a Pascal source file?
Seems completely wrong to me.

DSK

Re: [Lazarus] inconviniance....

DSK
Rich,

>If the "Open last project on start" is not checked, why does the IDE open
>the last project when you double click on a Pascal source file? Seems
>completely wrong to me.

Ahhhh now I get it ... yea, I agree that's not good. I'd use a word [maybe
several] other than "inconvenient" that's for sure :)

--
DSK
Posted with XanaNews 1.19.1.269

Re: [Lazarus] inconviniance....

Mattias Gaertner
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 00:25:08 +0000 (UTC)
"DSK" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rich,
>
> >If the "Open last project on start" is not checked, why does the IDE open
> >the last project when you double click on a Pascal source file? Seems
> >completely wrong to me.
>
> Ahhhh now I get it ... yea, I agree that's not good. I'd use a word [maybe
> several] other than "inconvenient" that's for sure :)

Eventually it should be tested if there is a running instance and tell
it to open the file.
If there is no running instance:
Lazarus needs a project to save the meta data, compiler options,
paths, session, etc. When a non project file is opened the IDE should
ask what to do. Open the last project, create a new, locate the
corresponding project, quit.

Re: [Lazarus] inconviniance....

Eduard Filipas

S, Rich Saunders piše:

> On 3/17/11 7:39 PM, DSK wrote:
>> The ability to NOT have the last project automatically loaded when
>> Lazarus starts does exist.
>> Environment,
>> Open last project on start checkbox.
>>
>> That won't work if it's a file you have [dbl]clicked on ... Eduards
>> case.
>>
>> Not sure what would solve the problem Eduard has ... some want to be
>> able to open additional IDEs.
> I don't think the problem is solely in opening an additional IDE
> instance. Doing that would be OK if the project opened in the first
> instance is not touched when the second instance is started. The
> problem sounds like it is when the second instance opens the
> already-opened project.
>
> If the "Open last project on start" is not checked, why does the IDE
> open the last project when you double click on a Pascal source file?
> Seems completely wrong to me.

Thank you for mentioning enviroment option i had a check and because im
working several days now on test project it has also been the last so it
was also current ...and that makes problems....also uncheking that
option in enviroment... dblclicking pas file via explorer forces new
Lazarus to open but also opens dummy project and a file...i dont like
that Lazarus cannot be in projectless state .... so now i changed
default program to notepad for pas . one way of solving it ....