[Lazarus] gdb version for use with lazarus

[Lazarus] gdb version for use with lazarus

Marc Santhoff
Hi,

still in the reconstruction process:

Which version of gdb is requiered at least for us with lazarus on
freebsd with fpc 2.6.4?

I'm using nthe systems gdb which does not seem to suffice:

 > gdb --version
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]

Lazarus is from today, 1.4.2.

TIA,
Marc

--
Marc Santhoff <[hidden email]>

Re: [Lazarus] gdb version for use with lazarus

leledumbo
Administrator
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]

Wow! That's about 11 years ago :o
I don't know what's the lower bound, but 7.1-7.2 is found to be working. I'm on a rolling release distro which always provides latest GDB (7.9.1 atm) and it works quite fine (well, there are hiccups here and there, but only in certain corner cases).

Re: [Lazarus] gdb version for use with lazarus

Martin Frb
On 19/07/2015 18:16, Marc Santhoff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> still in the reconstruction process:
>
> Which version of gdb is requiered at least for us with lazarus on
> freebsd with fpc 2.6.4?
>
> I'm using nthe systems gdb which does not seem to suffice:
>
>   > gdb --version
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
>
> Lazarus is from today, 1.4.2.

It might not just be the version number.
The lowest version regularly tested is or was till recently 6.3.5 (the
apple mac edition).
But it is well possible that even older versions still work.

IIRC the problem on freebsd is that some commands returns different
values. Instead of PID you get a Lightweight thread id, or something,
and it has a diff abbreviation.
I remember 1 or 2 years back some reports and some changes. But I have
not tested since. (And I do not know, if those changes apply only to
certain version of the freebsd gdb.)

Lets start with a log, on whatever gdb you currently have
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Log_info_for_debug_session

Re: [Lazarus] gdb version for use with lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2015-07-19 18:16, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>  > gdb --version
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]

Yeah, don't use that one. FreeBSD includes that one by default because
of licensing issues with newer versions. Use ports and install a later
GDB (/usr/ports/devel/gdb). I have gdb 7.8.1 installed here on FreeBSD
10.1 and it works perfectly with FPC 2.6.4.  I see GDB 7.9.1 is
available in ports too, but I don't want to "fix" what isn't broken. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

On 2015-07-19 18:16, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>  > gdb --version
> GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]

I forgot to mention in my previous reply, when you install a later GDB
via ports, they use a different executable name so you can have multiple
versions installed.

  /usr/bin/gdb                 <-- v6.6
  /usr/local/bin/gdb781        <-- v7.8.1

Regards,
  - Graeme -

On Mo, 2015-07-20 at 00:08 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2015-07-19 18:16, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> >  > gdb --version
> > GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
>
> I forgot to mention in my previous reply, when you install a later GDB
> via ports, they use a different executable name so you can have multiple
> versions installed.
>
>   /usr/bin/gdb                 <-- v6.6
>   /usr/local/bin/gdb781        <-- v7.8.1

Seems to be the case, the newer gdb from ports is installed, I only need
to tell lazarus.

Will do, will test, but not today.

On So, 2015-07-19 at 23:40 +0100, Martin Frb wrote:

> On 19/07/2015 18:16, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > still in the reconstruction process:
> >
> > Which version of gdb is requiered at least for us with lazarus on
> > freebsd with fpc 2.6.4?
> >
> > I'm using nthe systems gdb which does not seem to suffice:
> >
> >   > gdb --version
> > GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
> >
> > Lazarus is from today, 1.4.2.
> >

> It might not just be the version number.
> The lowest version regularly tested is or was till recently 6.3.5 (the
> apple mac edition).
> But it is well possible that even older versions still work.
>
> IIRC the problem on freebsd is that some commands returns different
> values. Instead of PID you get a Lightweight thread id, or something,
> and it has a diff abbreviation.
> I remember 1 or 2 years back some reports and some changes. But I have
> not tested since. (And I do not know, if those changes apply only to
> certain version of the freebsd gdb.)
>
> Lets start with a log, on whatever gdb you currently have
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Log_info_for_debug_session

If the newer gdb doesn't run, I will.

Since i really shot down my installation I cannot tell which gdb has
been used lastly, but lazarus was version 1.2.0 and that combination
worked - well somehow at least. Debugging a programm killed some config
files, some of my sources and maybe the compiler itself, cannot tell
because in the end the machine freezed and shortly rebooted on CTRL-F9.

The problem worked at was some confusion in the contruction chain, so I
had to stop several times even before a window showed up on the screen.

I kept the defect fpc and lazarus dirs, but not the hosed configuration,
it is repaired now. Lazarus stumbled across some zero length files, but
it should not reboot the computer. I think the damaged file system
killed the compiler or the like.

On 20/07/2015 00:44, Marc Santhoff wrote:
> Since i really shot down my installation I cannot tell which gdb has
> been used lastly, but lazarus was version 1.2.0 and that combination
> worked - well somehow at least.
Well there were some changes in the startup of the debug session

You can try (in the option   / property grid) to set InternalStartBreak
to a diff value: gdsbMain or gdsbEntry my be good.