[Lazarus] gdb problems on ubtuntu 19.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I know this problem is not entirely Lazarus related, but I'm hoping someone here might be able to provide some insight.

On a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10 when running projects from Lazarus with gdb debugging, any and all projects take anywhere from 20 to 30 seconds to become interactive after a project has been compiled and run. That is, the visual forms either do not appear when running, or appear but an unresponsive for 20-30 seconds. If I run without the debugger the programs start almost instantly.

When I run the same program from a terminal using gdb manually, I get the same unresponsive delay.

Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it? I've done a little google foo searching and have come up empty.

Thanks for your help.

Anthony

Re: [Lazarus] gdb problems on ubtuntu 19.10

On 01/11/2019 02:27, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:

> I know this problem is not entirely Lazarus related, but I'm hoping
> someone here might be able to provide some insight.
>
> On a fresh install of Ubuntu 19.10 when running projects from Lazarus
> with gdb debugging, any and all projects take anywhere from 20 to 30
> seconds to become interactive after a project has been compiled and
> run. That is, the visual forms either do not appear when running, or
> appear but an unresponsive for 20-30 seconds. If I run without the
> debugger the programs start almost instantly.
>
> When I run the same program from a terminal using gdb manually, I get
> the same unresponsive delay.
>
> Does anyone know what the problem might be and how to fix it? I've
> done a little google foo searching and have come up empty.

Don't know, but maybe a guess and a question.

Does gdb output anything during this time?

GDB loads info about libraries used (watch mem usage), though over 20
secs seems long
   set auto-solib-add off

There may be other such hidden work of gdb, but I wouldn't be aware of
it.... (there is follow forks, but that must be off)

-----
If you strip the executable, and then run it in gdb what happens? You
can't debug, obviously. But gdb has less work to do.

Re: [Lazarus] gdb problems on ubtuntu 19.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Stripping debug symbols from my test program has no effect. The gdb program still takes 20-30 seconds to open my text programs written using Lazarus.

Re: [Lazarus] gdb problems on ubtuntu 19.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
An update. I installed Linux Mint 19.2 on the same laptop and re-ran my install script. The problem previously described with gdb did not present itself. This leads me to believe there is some kind of problem with gdb in Ubtuntu 19.10, the prior OS I was testing.

On Fri, 1 Nov 2019, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:

> An update. I installed Linux Mint 19.2 on the same laptop and re-ran my
> install script. The problem previously described with gdb did not present
> itself. This leads me to believe there is some kind of problem with gdb in
> Ubtuntu 19.10, the prior OS I was testing.

It might be a good idea to report it.

Re: [Lazarus] gdb problems on ubtuntu 19.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
If anyone wants to follow along with this problem, I've posted a question about it on askubuntu here: