[Lazarus] fpchess

Brian Chalega da Silva
Hi, I read here: http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Free_Pascal_Application_Suite
About the "fpChess" an chess application under development by Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho,
but I don't find information about that in anywhere else, this project still exist?

Regards.
Brian Chalega

Re: [Lazarus] fpchess

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
I put a link where you can download it here:

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/fpChess

I started writing it, but at some point got stuck trying to implement
internet playing and recently I've been very busy at work, so I had no
time for anything...

You can download and build it and check what is missing. I think that
the drawing is implemented, and even basic piece moving, although
probably without restrictions. patches are welcome =)

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: [Lazarus] fpchess

Graeme Geldenhuys
Hi Felipe,

The "Free Pascal Application Suite" [1] wiki page mentions the "Free
Pascal Window Manager". Is that the fpwm project on SourceForge? If it
is, I've been thinking of reviving that project - Gnome and KDE are just
too bloated and slow. I would love to implement something like OS/2's
Workplace Shell, but for Linux.

Looking at the wiki page, and the listing of various applications. I
have a Calculator and File Manager (Total Commander 2-pane style) and a
simple Text Editor written with fpGUI. Could I add those with links, or
is that list just for LCL based applications?

As for the fpChess project. I remember seeing in WDSybil (I think)
repository a whole host of documentation and source code samples for
learning OOP, where they design a chess program as part of the tutorial.
I can't remember if it included a chess engine too, but I thought it
worth mentioning to you.

Does your fpChess program implement its own chess engine, or is your app
simply a GUI frontend to other known chess engines (eg: Crafty, Houdini,
Rybka etc).

[1] http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Free_Pascal_Application_Suite

Regards,
   - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] fpchess

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The "Free Pascal Application Suite" [1] wiki page mentions the "Free Pascal
> Window Manager". Is that the fpwm project on SourceForge? If it is, I've
> been thinking of reviving that project - Gnome and KDE are just too bloated
> and slow. I would love to implement something like OS/2's Workplace Shell,
> but for Linux.

It's the same one, but now it actually works. I worked a lot on it in
january and november and some students from the University of São
Paulo also worked on it. It still needs a lot of work (for which I
don't have time right now), but since it works now, any future work is
made much easier, because in the worse case you can compare what you
changed and see why it no longer works. In the beginning it was quite
a problem to find errors since there was no base to compare to...

> Looking at the wiki page, and the listing of various applications. I have a
> Calculator and File Manager (Total Commander 2-pane style) and a simple Text
> Editor written with fpGUI. Could I add those with links, or is that list
> just for LCL based applications?

fpGUI based ones are fine too, please add them =)

> Does your fpChess program implement its own chess engine, or is your app
> simply a GUI frontend to other known chess engines (eg: Crafty, Houdini,
> Rybka etc).

Actually my main objective was playing via the internet, so the answer
is no. But for playing against the computer surely I would use
something like GNU Chess in the background.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: [Lazarus] fpchess

Graeme Geldenhuys
Op 2011-03-16 11:43, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho het geskryf:

> It's the same one, but now it actually works. I worked a lot on it in
> january and november and some students from the University of São

That's excellent news. I haven't looked at that project in over a year,
but still have the binaries I built and ran via Xnest. The latter being
an excellent (and safer) way of testing a window manager under
development, but I am pretty sure you know about Xnest already.

> fpGUI based ones are fine too, please add them =)

Thanks.

> Actually my main objective was playing via the internet, so the answer
> is no.

Of coarse! You did mention that in your first reply. Human vs Human
needs no chess engine. :)

> But for playing against the computer surely I would use
> something like GNU Chess in the background.

Thought so. There are some pretty strong open-source chess engines out
there. Far beyond my chess skills. :) If you ever need someone to help
you test your internet play of fpChess, give me a shout.

Regards,
   - Graeme -

[Lazarus] fpchess

Brian Chalega da Silva
I'm having this problem: http://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=12148.0
The compiler don't find the "TUNBPage" component.

Also I had to add the class "Process" in the uses clause of the chesstcputils.

Would be more difficult, but I think that will be necessary to add connection with
one server like FICS or ICC to make this program more atractive.

Thanks for the reply,
Brian Chalega.

> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:54:32 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Lazarus] fpchess
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> I put a link where you can download it here:
>
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/fpChess
>
> I started writing it, but at some point got stuck trying to implement
> internet playing and recently I've been very busy at work, so I had no
> time for anything...
>
> You can download and build it and check what is missing. I think that
> the drawing is implemented, and even basic piece moving, although
> probably without restrictions. patches are welcome =)
>
> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

[Lazarus] fpchess

Brian Chalega da Silva
To communicate with internet chess servers that are compatible with ICC/FICS I know zippy
but it is for engines, and not for human players, the code are embedded in the xbord/winboard interfaces:
http://tim-mann.org/zippy.html
(and, of course, it is not written in Pascal)
But the software behind FICS is free software, and many interfaces are free too.

I will try to improve the project but I'm still a newbie in Lazarus.

And I don't know if I should do that but I comment the line {$R *.res} to make
the program to compile, I'm using Fedora 14 64bits. I guess you compiled in windows, right?.

Regards,

Brian Chalega da Silva

2011/3/18 Brian Chalega da Silva <[hidden email]>:
> And I don't know if I should do that but I comment the line {$R *.res} to
> make
> the program to compile, I'm using Fedora 14 64bits. I guess you compiled in
> windows, right?.

You can comment the lines, but they are not Windows specific. Free
Pascal supports rc/res files in Windows/Linux/Mac.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho