[Lazarus] Where are the coolbar and desktop config files saved?

[Lazarus] Where are the coolbar and desktop config files saved?

I setup my Lazarus IDE Coolbar with some of my own coolbar groups. Somehow I just messed up my Lazarus code that makes it failed to start. So I had to reinstall it fresh to have a working Lazarus. But I couldn't find where Lazarus saves the coolbar configuration file(s). I'd like to keep may custom coolbar setup so I could restore it back after I reinstall Lazarus. The same story for desktop layout configuration.

Where does Lazarus save the configuration files for IDE Coolbar and desktop layout? And what's the file name?

I'm using Lazarus v.2.0.10 on Windows 10 64 bit.

Thank you.

Best regards,

–Mr Bee

Re: [Lazarus] Where are the coolbar and desktop config files saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Never mind. I've found all the Lazarus user setting files. They all are in the "/Users/<USER>/AppData/Local/lazarus". The "AppData" is a hidden folder, make sure you enable "Hidden Items" option in the File Explorer. So, I just zipped the folder and saved it somewhere else. If I broke my Lazarus setting, I simply delete the folder and restore from the zip file. Simple and easy.

Thank you.

–Mr Bee

Hi,

On 2020/10/04 10:09, Mr Bee via lazarus wrote:
Never mind. I've found all the Lazarus user setting files. They all are in the "/Users/<USER>/AppData/Local/lazarus". The "AppData" is a hidden folder, make sure you enable "Hidden Items" option in the File Explorer. So, I just zipped the folder and saved it somewhere else. If I broke my Lazarus setting, I simply delete the folder and restore from the zip file. Simple and easy.

On Windows (which stores this in /Appdata) you don't need to show hidden files - you can just type %AppData%\ in the explorer address bar, same as when using the commandline. This will take you directly to the Appdata folder, and while AppData itself is hidden, all its content are not.

You can further, obviously, use it as part of a full filename in both eplorer and commandline, such as:
%AppData%\Lazarus\myfile.txt

Note that depending on the Windows setup and logged-in user level, the direct reference to %AppData% might land you in the "....\appdata\roaming" folder in stead of /local - to remedy that, it's best to specify the path with an "Up-Dir" prefix ".." to indicate the actual parent appdata directory, so to get to a file in the Lazarus subdir in "Local", this will be the best method, it doesn't matter which subdir of appdata you land in, it will go up-one and then to local always:

%AppData%\..\Local\

or for a file:

%AppData%\..\Local\Lazarus\somefile.txt

PS: I'm not used to typing Windows paths, had to go back and change all the slashes to backslashes, so if I missed one, please adjust accordingly.

On 10/4/20 4:09 AM, Mr Bee via lazarus wrote:
> Never mind. I've found all the Lazarus user setting files. They all are in the
> "/Users/<USER>/AppData/Local/lazarus". The "AppData" is a hidden folder, make
> sure you enable "Hidden Items" option in the File Explorer.

FWIW: you can simply open the search on the start button, type %appdata%, and
hit enter... windows will open file manager (or whatever they're using these
days) in the user's AppData directory and you can navigate in from there... this
works whether "hidden items" is enabled or not...

Re: [Lazarus] Where are the coolbar and desktop config files saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
> FWIW: you can simply open the search on the start button, type
> %appdata%, and hit enter... windows will open file manager (or whatever
> they're using these days) in the user's AppData directory and you can
> navigate in from there... this works whether "hidden items" is enabled
> or not...

or use %LocalAppData%