[Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

[Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

BobB
Strangely, this popular and useful component seems to be missing from Lazarus.  Why?

A. G.

Re: [Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

leledumbo
Administrator
Because Delphi's RichEdit is a wrapper over Win32 API component which doesn't have counterpart in other widgetsets. There are two alternatives which are built in a cross-platform way:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/RichMemo
http://wiki.freepascal.org/RichView (no editing features AFAIK)

Re: [Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

Leonardo M. Ramé
On 2012-08-19 12:37:11 -0700, leledumbo wrote:
> Because Delphi's RichEdit is a wrapper over Win32 API component which doesn't
> have counterpart in other widgetsets. There are two alternatives which are
> built in a cross-platform way:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/RichMemo
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/RichView (no editing features AFAIK)

There's also lzRichEdit, you can get it using svn from:

http://lazarus-br.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/package/lzRichEdit

Hopefully some day somebody will convert TRichView (www.richview.com),
the best rich editor I've seen so far.

Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Re: [Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

Graeme Geldenhuys
On 19/08/12 22:39, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
> Hopefully some day somebody will convert TRichView (www.richview.com),

That URL now advertises a "home window blinds" product. :)

Regards,
   - Graeme -

Hehe, sorry, it's www.trichview.com.

--
Leonardo M. Ramé
http://leonardorame.blogspot.com

Re: [Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

wkitty42
On 8/19/2012 18:04, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 19/08/12 22:39, Leonardo M. Ramé wrote:
>> Hopefully some day somebody will convert TRichView (www.richview.com),
>
> That URL now advertises a "home window blinds" product. :)

agreed... however, trichview.com appears to turn up a valid and related site ;)

Re: [Lazarus] What to use instead of Delphi's RichEdit component?

Bernd K.
For only displaying some colored text (not editing) it might be enough
to use the html control from turbopower_ipro that comes with lazarus,
so no installing of 3rd party component needed.

For example I am soon going to use this control to display the
incoming chat messages in my (yet to be written) instant messenger,
there I'm going to need colored time stamps, nicknames and hyperlinks
in the text and maybe also smileys and other fancy stuff but no text
entry, only display. It can display partial (incomplete) documents (no
closing html or body tag) which is important because new content will
be added at the end and it seems to be very fast, fast enough to give
no problems even with very long texts (huge backlogs of old chat
sessions).