[Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Tommi Prami-2
Hello,

I am Windows Guy and tried to install the latest Lazarus to my Ubuntu
Virtual machine, but it just did not work... (Not even sure why, tried
to install the all packages, but some of them complained that I have too
old FPC etc, ecven it seemed that I just installed it successfully,
never know :D)

But is there distro which comes with new Lazarus (already in package
manager  etc) or is dead simple to get installed.... (For Windows dude ;) )


-Tee-

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Mattias Gaertner
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:13:43 +0300
Tommi Prami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Windows Guy and tried to install the latest Lazarus to my Ubuntu
> Virtual machine, but it just did not work... (Not even sure why, tried
> to install the all packages, but some of them complained that I have too
> old FPC etc, ecven it seemed that I just installed it successfully,
> never know :D)

Have you installed all three deb packages fpc, fpc-src and lazarus from
the Lazarus sourceforge site?

 
> But is there distro which comes with new Lazarus (already in package
> manager  etc) or is dead simple to get installed.... (For Windows dude ;) )


Mattias

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Tommi Prami-2
Installed, I think first two seemed to install OK, but the last (Lazarus) did not install because Apparently FPC did not install even it did not give any Error messages... 

Or something like that, it just complained the FPC is too old. and jsut isntalled the latest (Or one with Lazarus)... 

....


On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 21:13:43 +0300
Tommi Prami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am Windows Guy and tried to install the latest Lazarus to my Ubuntu
> Virtual machine, but it just did not work... (Not even sure why, tried
> to install the all packages, but some of them complained that I have too
> old FPC etc, ecven it seemed that I just installed it successfully,
> never know :D)

Have you installed all three deb packages fpc, fpc-src and lazarus from
the Lazarus sourceforge site?


> But is there distro which comes with new Lazarus (already in package
> manager  etc) or is dead simple to get installed.... (For Windows dude ;) )


Mattias

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Mattias Gaertner
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:12:21 +0300
Tommi Prami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installed, I think first two seemed to install OK, but the last (Lazarus)
> did not install because Apparently FPC did not install even it did not give
> any Error messages...
>
> Or something like that, it just complained the FPC is too old. and jsut
> isntalled the latest (Or one with Lazarus)...

Ubuntu provides an older FPC. Maybe you accidentally installed that one?

Try to install the three packages with this one line:

sudo dpkg -i fpc_2.6.2-0_amd64.deb fpc-src_2.6.2-0_amd64.deb
lazarus_1.0.8-0_amd64.deb

Mattias

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Tommi Prami-2
I tried to install packages from the file, downloaded from sourceforge, all seemed to install (Except Lazarus) just fine... I can try again later and add more facts... 

So most likely the Package(s) failed to install but it was not reported to user... or something like that... 

-Tee-


On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM, Mattias Gaertner <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 23:12:21 +0300
Tommi Prami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Installed, I think first two seemed to install OK, but the last (Lazarus)
> did not install because Apparently FPC did not install even it did not give
> any Error messages...
>
> Or something like that, it just complained the FPC is too old. and jsut
> isntalled the latest (Or one with Lazarus)...

Ubuntu provides an older FPC. Maybe you accidentally installed that one?

Try to install the three packages with this one line:

sudo dpkg -i fpc_2.6.2-0_amd64.deb fpc-src_2.6.2-0_amd64.deb
lazarus_1.0.8-0_amd64.deb

Mattias

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
In reply to this post by Tommi Prami-2
Slackware comes with ALL required libraries to do LCL-QT, LCL-GTK2,
fpGUI etc development. Simply install FPC from the binary (*.tar)
release. Download the source for Lazarus and do a 'make install bigide'.
Nothing else is required.


The same goes for FreeBSD 9.1.

Regards,
  Graeme.


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Kostas Michalopoulos
Similar to what Graeme suggested, except for Ubuntu: install the libgtk2.0-dev (and the requirements), get FPC's binary (.tar) installer (make sure you install it in /usr/local and not the default /usr), get the source code for Lazarus, put it somewhere in your home directory (f.e. ~/Code/lazarus) and inside it type 'make bigide' (you don't need to do an install since you can run it from there with ./startlazarus - not to mention that you wont need to to mess with permissions later to rebuild Lazarus in order to install components).


On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:18 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
Slackware comes with ALL required libraries to do LCL-QT, LCL-GTK2,
fpGUI etc development. Simply install FPC from the binary (*.tar)
release. Download the source for Lazarus and do a 'make install bigide'.
Nothing else is required.


The same goes for FreeBSD 9.1.

Regards,
  Graeme.


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Mark Morgan Lloyd
In reply to this post by Graeme Geldenhuys-2
Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Slackware comes with ALL required libraries to do LCL-QT, LCL-GTK2,
> fpGUI etc development. Simply install FPC from the binary (*.tar)
> release. Download the source for Lazarus and do a 'make install bigide'.
> Nothing else is required.

There's life in the old dog yet.

> The same goes for FreeBSD 9.1.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 16/04/13 09:01, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>
> There's life in the old dog yet.

Slackware is the next best thing after FreeBSD. Other Linux distros
don't come close. Long live Slackware! :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
In reply to this post by Kostas Michalopoulos
On 16/04/13 08:04, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
> Similar to what Graeme suggested, except for Ubuntu: install the
> libgtk2.0-dev (and the requirements),

The problem there being, if you install on a system that doesn't have
internet, you can't install the libgtk2.0-dev (the X11 and GTK2
requirements), libXft-devel (for anti aliased font support),
libQtxxx-dev (for Qt work) etc.. The requirements is a hefty download -
after the OS install.

My point with Slackware was that after you do the OS install, there is
no extra install requirements for development work. So offline installs
work just as good.

But yes, if you have internet access, Ubuntu works well too - I have
used it as my development system for many years. In fact, Ubuntu 5.10
all the way to Ubuntu 10.04


> ~/Code/lazarus) and inside it type 'make bigide' (you don't need to do an
> install since you can run it from there with

Yes, that was a typo (habit from FreeBSD). 'make bigide' is all that I
do too, and then run Lazarus from inside the source checkout directory.

Regards,
  - Graeme -



--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Juha Manninen
In reply to this post by Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 4/16/13, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Slackware is the next best thing after FreeBSD. Other Linux distros
> don't come close. Long live Slackware! :)

How do you uninstall programs from Slackware?

Juha

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 16/04/13 10:59, Juha Manninen wrote:
>
> How do you uninstall programs from Slackware?


http://www.slackbook.org/html/package-management-package-utilities.html
http://slackware.com/config/packages.php


'pkgtool' or 'removepkg'


That functionality has been around for many many years.


Regards,
  - Graeme -


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Juha Manninen
On 4/16/13, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 'pkgtool' or 'removepkg'

Sorry, it was a stupid question.
I think I wanted to ask about the dependencies.
IIRC it has no package system that takes care of dependencies automatically.
A long time ago when learning Linux systems (maybe also Slackware, not
sure), I struggled with missing dependencies.
I am now very happy with the .deb and .rpm systems. No struggle.

Juha

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 16/04/13 11:25, Juha Manninen wrote:
> I think I wanted to ask about the dependencies.
> IIRC it has no package system that takes care of dependencies automatically.

Slackware not having strict dependency checking is a blessing, not a
downfall. Also, Slackware comes with more libraries that most distros,
so often all dependencies are already met. So even if you use the
Slackware build system (similar to FreeBSD ports collection), things
work without fuss.

My issue with automatic dependencies are many. eg; under Ubuntu (and
Debian), I can't install FlameRobin (Firebird Database Management
system) without it forcefully installing it's own version of the
Firebird Client Library - often an old client too. eg: Firebird 2.5 was
out for 2+ years, and Ubuntu still forcefully installed the 2.1 client
library when I installed Flamerobin - yet FlameRobin (and all other
Firebird apps) run happily with the 2.5 client library, which I
installed manually from the Firebird website.

Now the Firebird client library might not be so much of an issue, but
the Firebird server is - often being forced to have two version of
Firebird server installed. Then you also have other source code related
applications that install older versions of SubVersion or Git - where I
much rather run the latest Git version directly from the originating
project website. Then try and uninstall the older versions and see how
package management software barks at you, and threatens to uninstall
everything else that depends on it too. :-(

Closer to home... the FPC and Lazarus versions in Ubuntu, Debian etc
repositories are always out of date - often 1-2 release behind. Now with
Lazarus's shorter release cycle, that issue is even worse.

Hence I like FreeBSD and Slackware build systems. They will go fetch the
latest source code directly from the original authors, unpack and patch
them (if know bugs exist), often allow you to configure some
functionality of the software, then build and install it.

Again, my needs are obviously very different to most Ubuntu or Debian
users - so such issues go unnoticed by them. Your mileage my vary of
course. Choosing an OS is a very personal choice (unless you run a Mac -
then Apple decides for you). :)


Regards,
  - Graeme -




--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Juha Manninen
On 4/16/13, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Closer to home... the FPC and Lazarus versions in Ubuntu, Debian etc
> repositories are always out of date - often 1-2 release behind. Now with
> Lazarus's shorter release cycle, that issue is even worse.

Yes, this is a real problem.
Sometimes you must download and install packages outside the repo or
compile from source.

I must try Slackware again. I remember its author was dying for some
disease few years ago and the whole future of Slackware was uncertain.
Apparently he recovered. Good.

Juha

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Mark Morgan Lloyd
Juha Manninen wrote:

> On 4/16/13, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Closer to home... the FPC and Lazarus versions in Ubuntu, Debian etc
>> repositories are always out of date - often 1-2 release behind. Now with
>> Lazarus's shorter release cycle, that issue is even worse.
>
> Yes, this is a real problem.
> Sometimes you must download and install packages outside the repo or
> compile from source.
>
> I must try Slackware again. I remember its author was dying for some
> disease few years ago and the whole future of Slackware was uncertain.
> Apparently he recovered. Good.

That I didn't know, and I'm sure we all wish him well.

WITHOUT WANTING THIS TO BECOME A DISTRO WAR: I've got reservations.
Debian's automatic upgrades can be a blessing where they e.g.
automatically install a security patch, but at the same time I've twice
had systems that were broken by an upgrade (in one case because it left
X incompatible with the kernel, and in the other because it removed
firmware from the kernel because the Debian managers- bless 'em- had
decided that the copyright was restrictive).

Also it's obviously worth considering that Debian runs on many more
platforms than Slackware, and from a support aspect it's far easier to
get people onto a broadly-ported distro than to have a hodge-podge with
different package naming conventions etc.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Kostas Michalopoulos
In reply to this post by Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys <[hidden email]> wrote:
The problem there being, if you install on a system that doesn't have
internet, you can't install the libgtk2.0-dev (the X11 and GTK2
requirements), libXft-devel (for anti aliased font support),
libQtxxx-dev (for Qt work) etc.. The requirements is a hefty download -
after the OS install.

If you do not have internet you wont be able to get Lazarus in the first place.

If you do have internet but not at the machine you want to install Lazarus you can use apt-zip which generates a script that can be executed in another machine (including Windows machines, but it'll need wget and probably Cygwin or MSYS) to download the necessary files and copy them to an external USB drive. Then move the files to the target machine where you want Lazarus, etc and install them there.



--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
In reply to this post by Mark Morgan Lloyd
Hi,

I believe Slackware is now more than just a "single person", so it
should surfice. I do believe Patrick Volkerding has fully recovered from
his illness though.


> Debian's automatic upgrades can be a blessing where they e.g.
> automatically install a security patch, but at the same time I've twice
> had systems that were broken by an upgrade

Consider yourself lucky. Ubuntu auto updates have broken my systems way
more than twice. I now disable package updates completely. I'll only
update specific packages if I know about a bug that affects me has been
fixed, or I see a valid reason for a specific security update. I never
blindly click "Update" any more. As the old saying goes "If it ain't
broken - don't fix it!".  That applies to any software, not just Linux
distros.


> get people onto a broadly-ported distro than to have a hodge-podge with
> different package naming conventions etc.

The "hodge-podge" distro (I gather you mean Slackware) is the oldest
active Linux distro in existence. That must count for something. It is
also the closest Linux distro to "Unix style" management, and least
modified (leaving packages as the original authors intended). This
appeals to many. It might not win a popularity contest any time soon,
but it sure is consistent, stable, and has a loyal following. Plus it
makes for a good development system [returning to the message thread at
hand].


Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
In reply to this post by Kostas Michalopoulos
On 2013-04-16 13:01, Kostas Michalopoulos wrote:
>
> If you do not have internet you wont be able to get Lazarus in the first
> place.

For many years I had very slow 3G access at home. It was very easier to
do a single Lazarus checkout at work, onto a USB stick and compile it at
home. Often I used even run all my development tools off the USB stick.

Compare the opposite, of downloading 100+Mb of various inter-dependent
packages (no idea how you get the full listing of that), and then having
to install them at home.


Anyway, it is up to Tommi to take from this thread what he needs, do
some experimentation and make his own educated decision on what distro
suits his needs.


Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] What is most Lazarus Friendly Linux Distro [OT]

Lukasz Sokol
In reply to this post by Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 16/04/2013 13:20, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I believe Slackware is now more than just a "single person", so it
> should surfice. I do believe Patrick Volkerding has fully recovered from
> his illness though.
>
>
>> Debian's automatic upgrades can be a blessing where they e.g.
>> automatically install a security patch, but at the same time I've twice
>> had systems that were broken by an upgrade
>
> Consider yourself lucky. Ubuntu auto updates have broken my systems way
> more than twice. I now disable package updates completely. I'll only
> update specific packages if I know about a bug that affects me has been
> fixed, or I see a valid reason for a specific security update. I never
> blindly click "Update" any more. As the old saying goes "If it ain't
> broken - don't fix it!".  That applies to any software, not just Linux
> distros.
>

Like you know, what Ubuntu word means in south-african ? :)
'I can't configure Debian'

L.
> Regards,
>   - Graeme -
>



--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
12