[Lazarus] What happened to TNoteBook?

Hans-Peter Diettrich
Since 2011 notebooks are crippled and applications broken:

"Replaces the current wrongly implement TPage and TNotebook with their
correct implementations."

I cannot see what's "correct" with notebooks *without tabs* :-(

What's incorrect with the previous implementation, based on TCustomNoteBook?

See examples/listview for such a broken project.

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] What happened to TNoteBook?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_release_notes#TNotebook_and_TPage

In short: Someone implemented TNotebook wrongly and then people
started using it as a TPageControl. They should use TPageControl
instead and leave TNotebook for it's real purpose, which is a
multi-paged control without borders and without tabs.

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_release_notes#TNotebook_and_TPage
>
> In short: Someone implemented TNotebook wrongly and then people
> started using it as a TPageControl. They should use TPageControl
> instead and leave TNotebook for it's real purpose, which is a
> multi-paged control without borders and without tabs.

Then at least the example applications should be updated accordingly.
It's not a good idea to ship broken examples with a new release :-(

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] What happened to TNoteBook?

Maxim Ganetsky
14.02.2011 23:59, Hans-Peter Diettrich пишет:

> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_release_notes#TNotebook_and_TPage
>>

>> In short: Someone implemented TNotebook wrongly and then people
>> started using it as a TPageControl. They should use TPageControl
>> instead and leave TNotebook for it's real purpose, which is a
>> multi-paged control without borders and without tabs.
>
> Then at least the example applications should be updated accordingly.
> It's not a good idea to ship broken examples with a new release :-(

Fixed in r29551. Hope it will lessen the number of sad smileys from you. ;)

--
Best regards,
  Maxim Ganetsky                  mailto:[hidden email]

Re: [Lazarus] What happened to TNoteBook?

wkitty42
On 2/14/2011 15:59, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_release_notes#TNotebook_and_TPage
>>

>> In short: Someone implemented TNotebook wrongly and then people
>> started using it as a TPageControl. They should use TPageControl
>> instead and leave TNotebook for it's real purpose, which is a
>> multi-paged control without borders and without tabs.
>
> Then at least the example applications should be updated accordingly. It's not a
> good idea to ship broken examples with a new release :-(

agreed! +1000000000000~

this is a problem that i've run into more than once in the last few years that
i've been trying to work with lazarus and FPC... sadly it has caught me out in
numerous instances and, being a newbie to the FPC and/or Lazarus environments
and methodologies, i don't know what to ask about or where to properly ask... so
i read and read and read and hope that i come across a workable answer at some
point... but then i operate a lot differently than others, too ;)

On 2/14/2011 17:33, Maxim Ganetsky wrote:

> 14.02.2011 23:59, Hans-Peter Diettrich пишет:
>> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho schrieb:
>>> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_0.9.30_release_notes#TNotebook_and_TPage
>>>

>>> In short: Someone implemented TNotebook wrongly and then people
>>> started using it as a TPageControl. They should use TPageControl
>>> instead and leave TNotebook for it's real purpose, which is a
>>> multi-paged control without borders and without tabs.
>>
>> Then at least the example applications should be updated accordingly.
>> It's not a good idea to ship broken examples with a new release :-(
>
> Fixed in r29551. Hope it will lessen the number of sad smileys from you. ;)

i'm pulling this fix now... hope to see some goodness as well as crossing
fingers and hoping that the update methods i've pulled from the wiki operate in
cohesion ;)

Maxim Ganetsky schrieb:

>> Then at least the example applications should be updated accordingly.
>> It's not a good idea to ship broken examples with a new release :-(
>
> Fixed in r29551.

Thanks :-)

 > Hope it will lessen the number of sad smileys from you. ;)

Sad smileys from me are not so important, in contrast to those from
other users, which may find Lazarus still broken and unusable...

DoDi