[Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

[Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
The Lazarus team has scheduled
      Lazarus 2.0.8
      for April 2020 (estimated 14th to 20th)

      This release will be built with FPC 3.0.4.

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.8 (since 2.0.0):
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

We would invite everyone to provide their feedback to help us improve
this upcoming release. Please let as know in particular:
- Any bug-fixes already made to trunk, that you believe should still be
  merged to the fixes branch (fixes that are not listed on the above wiki page)
- Any regressions that happened in fixes branch since the release of 2.0
- Other urgent matters, you believe we should know before the release.

Please attempt to provide your feedback by: 9th April 2020

More info on our release process can be found at (work in progress):
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_engineering

Information about the previous release:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4

The intended minimum requirements for the release will be:

Windows:
   2k(*), XP(*), Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
   gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.6 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

macOS:
   10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, beta), qt and qt5
   (32 or 64bit).

(*) requires install from sources

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 2/4/20 a les 10:41, Martin Frb via lazarus ha escrit:

> - Other urgent matters, you believe we should know before the release.
It's not urgent (because I use my local copy with the patch) but there
is this:

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM Luca Olivetti via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's not urgent (because I use my local copy with the patch) but there
is this:

I took care of it. It can safely be merged.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 2/4/20 a les 12:13, Juha Manninen via lazarus ha escrit:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM Luca Olivetti via lazarus
> wrote:
>
>     It's not urgent (because I use my local copy with the patch) but there
>     is this:
>
>     https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35715
>

> I took care of it. It can safely be merged.

Thank you

--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Martin,

I haven't reported this bug because it's difficult to reproduce, but with some of the recent releases and many of the trunk check in there seems to be a lot of problems with the sparta docked form designer (DFD), at least on Linux gtk2.

What happens is that with the DFD installed on Linux gtk2 as the user tries to use the left mouse button in the designer to either click on or lasso select controls, the designer acts as if the previous selection is included in the selection. This happens randomly. The effect is that DFD is difficult to use. You go to select a control by clicking on it and instead it creates a selection group including the item you click on and whatever was last selected. This prevents users from editing a component or control using the DFD and instead they have to clear the selection (by clicking on a blank area of the form) then clicking on a control or component. It is very annoying, but doesn't happen 100% of the time, more like 50%.

When you have a revision number you feel comfortable for me to test, I can try it and report the status of this issue back. If it fails with that revision I can submit a mantis issue and perhaps look at what's going on as well.

For anyone else, if you are using Linux, gtk2, and the DFD, it would be helpful if you could confirm this behavior and perhaps note the pattern you see. That is what is happening when this problem occurs.

Thanks.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Hello Martin,

can you please check for r35362 and r36798 and probably include them too?

Thank you,
Rolf

On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 10:58 AM Rolf Wetjen via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
can you please check for r35362 and r36798 and probably include them too?

Those are from February and April 2012. Eight years ago.
Are you surely looking at Lazarus commit history?

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

Juha,

I wanted to ask for https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35362 and https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=36798.

Rolf

Virenfrei. www.avast.com

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Rolf Wetjen via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, that makes more sense. :)
Issue #35362 is a regression. If your patch works it surely should be applied and merged to 2.0.8 branch.
Apparently Michl is not active right now so I assigned the issue to Martin.
I myself don't have a Windows now. I am setting up Lazarus under Wine in my new super-computer (!) and then I can test Windows patches, too.
Wine has improved steadily and is very good nowadays.

Issue #36798 is solved and I believe the commit r62781 can be merged. I will not add it to the list, somebody else must decide it.
I see you have added a documentation update _after_ the issue was resolved. Please reopen the issue, it is left unnoticed otherwise.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Thank you, Juha.

I've reopened #36798.

Rolf

[Lazarus] TListview event order and drag bug [[Re: We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8]]

On 03/04/2020 11:05, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Rolf Wetjen via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, that makes more sense. :)
Issue #35362 is a regression. If your patch works it surely should be applied and merged to 2.0.8 branch.
Apparently Michl is not active right now so I assigned the issue to Martin.
I myself don't have a Windows now. I am setting up Lazarus under Wine in my new super-computer (!) and then I can test Windows patches, too.
Wine has improved steadily and is very good nowadays.

I did some tests.  (more pending / some assumptions below)

The problem with the patch is, that the LCL events (and the On... events) will then all be called on mouse up.
That is, the mouse down event, will be hold back, until the button is released.

As far as I can see the problem is, that the WindProc, first calls the DefaultWindProc, which (some tests pending) does not return until the mouse up occurs.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/controls/listview-message-processing => it goes into a modal loop....

So If I am right, I guess this listview needs its own windproc, and must trigger the LCL (DeliverMessage) for WMMouseDown before calling DefaultProc.

Downside: the OnMouseDownEvent is called before the OS widget even knows. So maybe some state info will be different......

But as far as I see it, its either that, or defer to mouse up.

-------------------------
In either case, I consider the changes to big for being merged.

1) Defer the event: that is a major behaviour change, needs documented
2) own event proc. That needs a lot of testing, as it is easy to overlook stuff and break it. (Not to say it needs to be implemented).

*****  I think ***
 the immediate DeliverMessage is the better approach. (Despite the possible not yet updated widget)

But it may turn out to have downsides.

So anyone else any preferences?

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

On 03/04/2020 11:05, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
On Fri, Apr 3, 2020 at 11:35 AM Rolf Wetjen via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK, that makes more sense. :)
Issue #35362 is a regression. If your patch works it surely should be applied and merged to 2.0.8 branch.

I have something, based on that patch that may potentially work. But needs testing. So please test.

Unfortunately the SetCapture can (if anything got overlooked) have side effects on any other component. So I do not think this will be merged to fixes.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

Hello Martin,

If it's not too late, can r62551 be merged too?

Bug report #36490:
Bitmap transparency (mask) not respected by TMenuItem

Denis

On 4/10/20 1:28 AM, Denis Kozlov via lazarus wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> If it's not too late, can r62551 be merged too?
>
> Bug report #36490:
> Bitmap transparency (mask) not respected by TMenuItem
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=36490

There are fixes for gtk2,qt,qt5 for same thing too

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.8

The current FPC 3.2.0RC1 / 2.0.8 release works fine for me, though I
would comment that debugging with gdb seemed particularly crash prone; I
am using:

GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora 8.3.50.20190824-30.fc31 (64 bit)

It (gdb) would crash far too often on hitting a breakpoint in my
program. I would say the internal dwarf debugger in Lazarus proved
rather more reliable - maybe this is a better default for Linux?

Colin

On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM C Western via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
The current FPC 3.2.0RC1 / 2.0.8 release works fine for me, though I
would comment that debugging with gdb seemed particularly crash prone; I
am using:

GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora 8.3.50.20190824-30.fc31 (64 bit)

Can you please test if Lazarus trunk makes a difference for the GDB experience.
I am running Lazarus trunk on Manjaro Linux and just debugged Lazarus IDE itself without problems. (Bug tracker issue #36872).
Actually debugging works amazingly well despite its known limitations.
My FPC is now 3.0.4 but I don't think it makes a difference. The debug info format has not changed.

It is either a Lazarus problem or a Fedora problem.

On 10/04/2020 10:46, C Western via lazarus wrote:
> The current FPC 3.2.0RC1 / 2.0.8 release works fine for me, though I
> would comment that debugging with gdb seemed particularly crash prone;
> I am using:
>
> GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora 8.3.50.20190824-30.fc31 (64 bit)
>
> It (gdb) would crash far too often on hitting a breakpoint in my
> program. I would say the internal dwarf debugger in Lazarus proved
> rather more reliable - maybe this is a better default for Linux?
What debug type info are you using?

I know that gdb has quite some issues with FPC's dwarf 3.
There are a few people who say dwarf 3 works for them, but I do highly
recommend dwarf-2-with-sets.

That said gdb with dwarf-2 is not crash free either. Just a little less
likely...

Many crashes happens when accessing watches (or locals or parameters).

Finding what it crashes on:
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Log_info_for_debug_session
Then you might be able to avoid it... Maybe...

In Lazarus 2.1 fpdebug is pre-installed. But not yet the default. That
decision is still pending. But ultimately the idea is for it to become
the default.

On 10/04/2020 23:54, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:
On Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 11:46 AM C Western via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
The current FPC 3.2.0RC1 / 2.0.8 release works fine for me, though I
would comment that debugging with gdb seemed particularly crash prone; I
am using:

GNU gdb (GDB) Fedora 8.3.50.20190824-30.fc31 (64 bit)

Can you please test if Lazarus trunk makes a difference for the GDB experience.

Very unlikely. He said gdb crashed.
Not much has been changed in the commands sent to gdb.

I haven't gotten to test gdb 8.3 myself yet. So I do not know how it compares to other gdb versions.

On Sat, Apr 11, 2020 at 2:06 AM Martin Frb via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't gotten to test gdb 8.3 myself yet. So I do not know how it compares to other gdb versions.

gdb 8.3 is old!
Manjaro has already version 9.1. Maybe it contributed to my solid debugging experience.

$ gdb --version
GNU gdb (GDB) 9.1