[Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

[Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
The Lazarus team has scheduled
      Lazarus 2.0.10
      for July 2020 (estimated 4th to 11th)

      This release will be built with FPC 3.2.0.

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.10 (since 2.0.0):
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

We would invite everyone to provide their feedback to help us improve
this upcoming release. Please let us know in particular:
- Any bug-fixes already made to trunk, that you believe should still be
  merged to the fixes branch (fixes that are not listed on the above wiki page)
- Any regressions that happened in fixes branch since the release of 2.0
- Other urgent (e.g. crashes/data-loss/...) matters, you believe we should know before the release.

Please attempt to provide your feedback by: 30th June 2020

More info on our release process can be found at (work in progress):
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_engineering

Information about the previous release:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.2.0

The intended minimum requirements for the release will be:

Windows:
   2k(*), XP(*), Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
   gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.6 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

macOS:
   10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, beta), qt and qt5
   (32 or 64bit).

(*) requires install from sources

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

On 22/06/2020 16:14, Martin Frb via lazarus wrote:
The Lazarus team has scheduled
      Lazarus 2.0.10
      for July 2020 (estimated 4th to 11th)

      This release will be built with FPC 3.2.0.

For those who wonder why it is 2.0.10 and not 2.2.
We choose to make a 2.0.10 + 3.2.0 release, as this is the faster option. This release can be scheduled for early July.

A Lazarus 2.2 release would take more time to prepare. A new 2.2 fixes branch will probably need some month to stabilize, once it has been branched. That would push a release further back. A decision on 2.2 will be made in due course. More information will be posted once available.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

  >Cocoa (64bit, beta),

Please move Cocoa to `release` state, it's ready..

Alexey Torgashin

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Alexey,

So Cocoa actually is stable now? That's great news! I'll be sure to test it out.

On Tue, 23 Jun 2020, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:

> Alexey,
>
> So Cocoa actually is stable now? That's great news! I'll be sure to test it
> out.

I've been using it for some time now: I run the 64-bit lazarus 2.0.8 on Mac
OS Catalina, and that is cocoa only AFAIK.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 20:45:12 +0300
"Alexey Tor. via lazarus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   >Cocoa (64bit, beta),
>
> Please move Cocoa to `release` state, it's ready..

Done.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:14:40 +0200, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>The Lazarus team has scheduled
>
>       Lazarus 2.0.10
>       for July 2020 (estimated 4th to 11th)
>
>       This release will be built with_*FPC 3.2.0*_.

This concerns Lazarus / FPC on Raspberry Pi4

I have just retrieved the 2.0.10 sources via SVN and built Lazarus
using the FPC 3.2.0 installation I had already done.

It worked fine but when I started Lazarus it showed the dialog where
the location of things like fpc sources and compiler etc are
displayed.
It turns out that for these items it selected fpc 3.0.4 still.

So my Lazarus is built using fpc 3.2.0 but when I install new packages
they will probably be built using fpc 3.0.4.
Does this cause some confusion?

Should Lazarus 2.0.10 be repointed towards fpc 3.2.0 before installing
new packages (via OPM)?

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 04 Jul 2020 17:21:25 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:14:40 +0200, Martin Frb via lazarus
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>The Lazarus team has scheduled
>>
>>       Lazarus 2.0.10
>>       for July 2020 (estimated 4th to 11th)
>>
>>       This release will be built with_*FPC 3.2.0*_.
>>

>This concerns Lazarus / FPC on Raspberry Pi4
>
>I have just retrieved the 2.0.10 sources via SVN and built Lazarus
>using the FPC 3.2.0 installation I had already done.
>
>It worked fine but when I started Lazarus it showed the dialog where
>the location of things like fpc sources and compiler etc are
>displayed.
>It turns out that for these items it selected fpc 3.0.4 still.
>
>So my Lazarus is built using fpc 3.2.0 but when I install new packages
>they will probably be built using fpc 3.0.4.
>Does this cause some confusion?
>
>Should Lazarus 2.0.10 be repointed towards fpc 3.2.0 before installing
>new packages (via OPM)?

Forgot to add that when I try to install packages I get an error:
"Cannot install package: <packagename>" (for every package I try)

So it actually seems like Lazarus must be set to use fpc 3.2.0 in
order to install packages.

How is that done (apart from doing it at the first time  Lazarus runs
and the dialog is shown)?
I think I have once (years ago) been told how to show the initial
dialog again, but now I cannot find it...

So I have the following problem:
- I need to use fpc 3.2.0 for all Lazarus related building (build
itself with new packages).
- But I also want to be able to use Lazarus to build a project using
the old stable fpc 3.0.4
- So Lazarus must be told to use 3.2.0 to rebuild itself and build
packages, but 3.0.4 to build projects.

Right now I think Lazarus can build my projects using fpc 3.0.4 but
not itself using fpc 3.2.0. And it must be able to build itself in
order to install packages...
And I cannot build my projects without these packages installed...

On 04/07/2020 17:21, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:14:40 +0200, Martin Frb via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> The Lazarus team has scheduled
>>
>>        Lazarus 2.0.10
>>        for July 2020 (estimated 4th to 11th)
>>
>>        This release will be built with_*FPC 3.2.0*_.
>>
> This concerns Lazarus / FPC on Raspberry Pi4
>
> I have just retrieved the 2.0.10 sources via SVN and built Lazarus
> using the FPC 3.2.0 installation I had already done.
>
> It worked fine but when I started Lazarus it showed the dialog where
> the location of things like fpc sources and compiler etc are
> displayed.
> It turns out that for these items it selected fpc 3.0.4 still.
>
> So my Lazarus is built using fpc 3.2.0 but when I install new packages
> they will probably be built using fpc 3.0.4.
> Does this cause some confusion?
>
> Should Lazarus 2.0.10 be repointed towards fpc 3.2.0 before installing
> new packages (via OPM)?

You need to differ between upgrade and new install.

Upgrades do not touch (during install) the existing config.

If the old fpc install is kept, then the config still points to it. =>
And installing packages will rebuild the entire IDE with this compiler.
(As will your projects be build with the old compiler)

If you updated fpc too, the old fpc would no longer be there, forcing
the IDE to update the config on startup.
(This is an issue on windows, because the installer does not delete the
old fpc.... afaik)

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 18:12:57 +0200, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 04/07/2020 17:21, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>> On Mon, 22 Jun 2020 16:14:40 +0200, Martin Frb via lazarus
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> The Lazarus team has scheduled
>>>
>>>        Lazarus 2.0.10
>>>        for July 2020 (estimated 4th to 11th)
>>>
>>>        This release will be built with_*FPC 3.2.0*_.
>>>
>> This concerns Lazarus / FPC on Raspberry Pi4
>>
>> I have just retrieved the 2.0.10 sources via SVN and built Lazarus
>> using the FPC 3.2.0 installation I had already done.
>>
>> It worked fine but when I started Lazarus it showed the dialog where
>> the location of things like fpc sources and compiler etc are
>> displayed.
>> It turns out that for these items it selected fpc 3.0.4 still.
>>
>> So my Lazarus is built using fpc 3.2.0 but when I install new packages
>> they will probably be built using fpc 3.0.4.
>> Does this cause some confusion?
>>
>> Should Lazarus 2.0.10 be repointed towards fpc 3.2.0 before installing
>> new packages (via OPM)?
>>

>You need to differ between upgrade and new install.
>
>Upgrades do not touch (during install) the existing config.
>
>If the old fpc install is kept, then the config still points to it. =>
>And installing packages will rebuild the entire IDE with this compiler.
>(As will your projects be build with the old compiler)
>
>If you updated fpc too, the old fpc would no longer be there, forcing
>the IDE to update the config on startup.
>(This is an issue on windows, because the installer does not delete the
>old fpc.... afaik)

1) I do not "upgrade" an installation, I always retrieve sources from
SVN and build them using the make commands. Thus I have multiple
installations of Lazarus available on my system and all are now
pointing to fpc 3.0.4.

2) As stated in the release message Lazarus 2.0.10 is built using fpc
3.2.0, thus I ponted the make script to that version so Lazarus built
just fine from the sources. Every Lazarus version uses its own pcp
directory.

3) I am not talking about Windows here, I stated that it concerns
Raspberry Pi4, i.e. we are talking Raspbian Buster Linux as the
operating system.

Question:
Is there a menu command inside Lazarus to bring up the initial dialog
where the location of the compiler, sources etc is defined?
Because I did not realize that when I started Lazarus 2.0.10 for the
first time I should have made sure fpc was set to use 3.2.0...

On 04/07/2020 19:10, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
> Question:
> Is there a menu command inside Lazarus to bring up the initial dialog
> where the location of the compiler, sources etc is defined?
> Because I did not realize that when I started Lazarus 2.0.10 for the
> first time I should have made sure fpc was set to use 3.2.0...

There is no menu. The compiler/etc can be set in the options dialog.

But you can start
lazarus --setup
and that will show the initial setup.

Re: [Lazarus] We are planning the next release: Lazarus 2.0.10

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 19:23:30 +0200, Martin Frb via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>But you can start
>lazarus --setup
>and that will show the initial setup.

Thanks,
I decided to delete/rename the file environmentoptions.xml in the pcp
directory for Lazarus 2.0.10 and then started Lazarus again.
It brought up the dialog so I could set the compiler as:
/home/pi/lib/fpc/3.2.0/ppcarm
and the fpc sources as:
/home/pi/dev/fpc/3.2.0/

Then all worked normally. Of course I still do not know if the
compiler 3.0.4 or 3.2.0 will be used when I compile the projects, but
I guess I will be able to find out later.
The files in user path are as follows:

pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ which ppcarm
/home/pi/bin/ppcarm
pi@rpi4-gui:~ $ which fpc
/home/pi/bin/fpc

Both of which are 3.0.4

Right now I am OK with having the latest Lazarus with the packages I
normally always add installed without errors.