[Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

[Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
This is both an announcement and request for help for an open source FreePascal project which strives to provide:
1) a low level access to Vulkan API created directly from the vk.xml specification
2) high level wrapper classes for ease of integration in an FP/Lazarus project

The project is located at https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

It is my hope that a better programmer than I am will take an interest and help create a truly useful Vulkan Library for FreePascal.

-James

[mutiple attempts to post; re-subscribed to mail list in hopes that this one will take]

Re: [Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
This is nice, although personally i do not like the use of multiple inc files. I think Benjamin Rosseaux's pasvulkan does it better with creating a single pas file (he also uses a unit from the vk.xml file):

https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan/blob/master/src/Vulkan.pas

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM, James.mcjohnson via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is both an announcement and request for help for an open source FreePascal project which strives to provide:
1) a low level access to Vulkan API created directly from the vk.xml specification
2) high level wrapper classes for ease of integration in an FP/Lazarus project

The project is located at https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

It is my hope that a better programmer than I am will take an interest and help create a truly useful Vulkan Library for FreePascal.

-James

[mutiple attempts to post; re-subscribed to mail list in hopes that this one will take]

Re: [Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
a2017-04-13 11:30 GMT+02:00 Kostas Michalopoulos via Lazarus
<[hidden email]>:

> This is nice, although personally i do not like the use of multiple inc
> files. I think Benjamin Rosseaux's pasvulkan does it better with creating a
> single pas file (he also uses a unit from the vk.xml file):
>
> https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan/blob/master/src/Vulkan.pas
>

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM, James.mcjohnson via Lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is both an announcement and request for help for an open source
>> FreePascal project which strives to provide:
>> 1) a low level access to Vulkan API created directly from the vk.xml
>> specification
>> 2) high level wrapper classes for ease of integration in an FP/Lazarus
>> project
>>
>> The project is located at
>> https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and I would
>> appreciate any constructive feedback.
>>
>> It is my hope that a better programmer than I am will take an interest and
>> help create a truly useful Vulkan Library for FreePascal.

I want to add Vulkan renderer to Castle Game Engine later this year.
Now I don't know which project to choose:) Both approaches
(https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and
https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan ) seem very fine to me,

- in both cases you generate the Pascal code automatically from vk.xml,
- in both cases you provide a nicely-looking OOP API,
- both projects have suitable open-source licenses (MIT or zlib).

I don't mind a couple of include files, they actually include
readability for me. (I know, it's a matter of taste -- do you prefer
to navigate multiple smaller files, or navigate one big file.)

@James, would you mind removing the "Public Service Announcement" from
https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal/blob/master/LICENSE.md
? Don't get me wrong, I understand that you want to promote your faith
and I respect that. Having this in README files, and Pascal sources,
is absolutely OK. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm unsure how it affects
the legal text of the license. Having just an "unmodified MIT license"
would feel safer for me.

Regards,
Michalis

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:32 AM, James.mcjohnson via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
The project is located at https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and I would appreciate any constructive feedback.

thanks,
Dmitry

Re: [Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

PasVulkan seems to be have better Platform Support (incl. Support for Wayland, Mir, Android, MoltenVK, etc.) and more Vulkan Utils stuff, like texture loaders for DDS, KTX, PNG, TGA, etc. and a own working memory manager for manage the Vulkan memory (the reason for it, see slide 20 on http://32ipi028l5q82yhj72224m8j.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Most-common-mistakes-in-Vulkan-apps.pdf with the slide sub-title "PROBLEMATIC AREAS: MEMORY MANAGEMENT" ).

The Vulkan memory management stuff is in very many Vulkan code examples and Vulkan frameworks on the web often totally wrong, that there will be often worked without sub-allocations and that the maxMemoryAllocationCount limit is often ignored by the most Vulkan code examples and Vulkan frameworks on the web. In contrast to it, PasVulkan is here in this point fully Vulkan specification compliant.

On 2017-04-12 23:32, James.mcjohnson via Lazarus wrote:
> This is both an announcement and request for help for an open source
> FreePascal project which strives to provide:

You may want to also post this to the FPC mailing list rather than just
the Lazarus list, as, vulkan can probably be used outside of the Lazarus
IDE and just with plain fpc programs!

On 2017-04-13 11:34, Michalis Kamburelis via Lazarus wrote:

> @James, would you mind removing the "Public Service Announcement" from
> https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal/blob/master/LICENSE.md
> ? Don't get me wrong, I understand that you want to promote your faith
> and I respect that. Having this in README files, and Pascal sources,
> is absolutely OK. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm unsure how it affects
> the legal text of the license. Having just an "unmodified MIT license"
> would feel safer for me.

Plus, it recommends using GoLang, not fpc, in the faith..

Be Baptized: "Go

Not fpc.

Just my opinion

<[hidden email]>:
> This is nice, although personally i do not like the use of multiple inc
> files. I think Benjamin Rosseaux's pasvulkan does it better with creating a
> single pas file (he also uses a unit from the vk.xml file):
>
> https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan/blob/master/src/Vulkan.pas
>

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:32 AM, James.mcjohnson via Lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is both an announcement and request for help for an open source
>> FreePascal project which strives to provide:
>> 1) a low level access to Vulkan API created directly from the vk.xml
>> specification
>> 2) high level wrapper classes for ease of integration in an FP/Lazarus
>> project
>>
>> The project is located at
>> https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and I would
>> appreciate any constructive feedback.
>>
>> It is my hope that a better programmer than I am will take an interest and
>> help create a truly useful Vulkan Library for FreePascal.

I want to add Vulkan renderer to Castle Game Engine later this year.
Now I don't know which project to choose:) Both approaches
(https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal and
https://github.com/BeRo1985/pasvulkan ) seem very fine to me,

- in both cases you generate the Pascal code automatically from vk.xml,
- in both cases you provide a nicely-looking OOP API,
- both projects have suitable open-source licenses (MIT or zlib).

I don't mind a couple of include files, they actually include
readability for me. (I know, it's a matter of taste -- do you prefer
to navigate multiple smaller files, or navigate one big file.)

@James, would you mind removing the "Public Service Announcement" from
https://github.com/james-mcjohnson/VulkanLibraryForFreePascal/blob/master/LICENSE.md
? Don't get me wrong, I understand that you want to promote your faith
and I respect that. Having this in README files, and Pascal sources,
is absolutely OK. But I'm not a lawyer, and I'm unsure how it affects
the legal text of the license. Having just an "unmodified MIT license"
would feel safer for me.

Regards,
Michalis

Re: [Lazarus] Vulkan Library for FreePascal/Lazarus

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Awesome :)