[Lazarus] User defined defaults in object inspector

[Lazarus] User defined defaults in object inspector

Paul van Helden
Hi,

Would it be desirable to be able to specify one's own defaults for each component (without subclassing), similar to defining your own favourite properties?

Eg. each time I drop a TPanel, I change BevelOuter to bvNone and the Caption to nothing. Doesn't seem that RAD. (TPanels really shouldn't be bevelled and captioned by default either...)

There is already a "Set to default: xxx" menu item just before "Add to favourites". Perhaps only for properties already defined as favourites, add a "Make xxx my new default" menu item.

Alternatively, when you right-click on a component, have an option "Create new TPanel controls like this one".

Or even better, the ability to have your own named templates: "My top-aligned orange panel", "Modal button panel with OK & Cancel", etc. These would be named form-lets, little pieces of LFM that aren't stored in units by themselves and are easily accessible from the toolbar. Subclassing, frames and form inheritance seem to be overkill to address this simple requirement.

Just some thoughts...

Regards,

Paul.

Re: [Lazarus] User defined defaults in object inspector

Mattias Gaertner
On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:02:11 +0200
Paul van Helden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would it be desirable to be able to specify one's own defaults for each
> component (without subclassing), similar to defining your own favourite
> properties?

Yes.