[Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Richard Mace

Hi all,
I am really interested in tracking how many people are using my software and was wondering what people that would be a good and ethical way of doing it. Any thoughts?

Richard

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Travis Ayres
Get a mailing list, count how active it is?

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Richard Mace <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,
I am really interested in tracking how many people are using my software and was wondering what people that would be a good and ethical way of doing it. Any thoughts?

Richard

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

leledumbo
Administrator
> I am really interested in tracking how many people are using my software and was wondering what people that would be a good and ethical way of doing it. Any thoughts?

- Require registration prior to using your software
- Send background HTTP request during installation
- Recording ip address who downloads

Every way has its own drawback and none are 100% reliable, just pick whatever you prefer.

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

wkitty42
On 07/23/2015 12:42 AM, Richard Mace wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am really interested in tracking how many people are using my software and was
> wondering what people that would be a good and ethical way of doing it. Any
> thoughts?

quite many "call home" packages are quickly removed over here unless they are
extremely important and required... in those cases, they are blocked from making
the call... this mainly because of privacy concerns... it is no one's business
when someone executes a program or how long they are running it or other metrics
that may be divined from certain "call home" connections... in some areas of the
world, the use of timestamps in messaging is illegal because of the possibility
of tracking when someone may be at home or work...

if you really desire this information, make it configurable so that those who
don't care can enable it if they like... it should be disabled by default, though...

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2015-07-23 17:40, waldo kitty wrote:
> if you really desire this information, make it configurable so that those who
> don't care can enable it if they like... it should be disabled by default, though...

+1
I don't like "call home" software either.

On a side note:
We did once, for internal franchise testing only, added Google Analytics
[yes, what you normally use for websites ;-) ] into our desktop
application. Different areas of our desktop application was tracked like
different web pages in a website. :)  Our product was a total rewrite of
a previous version with lots of redesigned areas. We wanted to collect
data to see what areas in the new program is used a lot, what isn't etc.
That way we could tweak the user interface based on where our
franchisees get "stuck" or missing out on useful features.  We did give
them training, but you know how it goes.... in by the one ear, out by
the other. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Richard Mace

Thanks for everyone's reply.
Really valuable.

Richard

On 2015-07-23 17:40, waldo kitty wrote:
> if you really desire this information, make it configurable so that those who
> don't care can enable it if they like... it should be disabled by default, though...

+1
I don't like "call home" software either.

On a side note:
We did once, for internal franchise testing only, added Google Analytics
[yes, what you normally use for websites ;-) ] into our desktop
application. Different areas of our desktop application was tracked like
different web pages in a website. :)  Our product was a total rewrite of
a previous version with lots of redesigned areas. We wanted to collect
data to see what areas in the new program is used a lot, what isn't etc.
That way we could tweak the user interface based on where our
franchisees get "stuck" or missing out on useful features.  We did give
them training, but you know how it goes.... in by the one ear, out by
the other. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Michael Schnell
On 07/23/2015 07:01 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> I don't like "call home" software either.
Is such not commonly called a virus ?

-Michael

On 2015-07-24 11:35, Michael Schnell wrote:
> Is such not commonly called a virus ?

No, a virus normally does harm - "call home" software is more of a
privacy concern.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Lukasz Sokol
On 24/07/15 11:35, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 07/23/2015 07:01 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> I don't like "call home" software either.
> Is such not commonly called a virus ?

Not really, sometimes it's just your browser

http://lwn.net/Articles/651118/

follow to https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2015/07/msg00226.html ...

> -Michael

el es

Den

Re: [Lazarus] Tracking software useage

Den
It's usually implemented as a 'send anonymous statistics' option in most
programs.