[Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?
Every time I need to make an icon for a component,
I find myself in the situation that I start looking for a tool on internet.

Should not lazarus come out of the box with a basic tool that allows you to
create component icons with the correct sizes ?

Re: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
21.05.2020 17:13, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus пишет:

Hi,

What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?
Every time I need to make an icon for a component, I find myself in the situation that I start looking for a tool on internet.

Should not lazarus come out of the box with a basic tool that allows you to
create component icons with the correct sizes ?

Michael.

IMO, inkscape

https://inkscape.org/

--
-- with best regards, Zoltanleo aka Док

Re: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

I use "Greenfish Icon Editor". GPL with FPC/Lazarus sources.
http://greenfishsoftware.org/gfie.php

Am 21.05.2020 um 16:13 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:
> What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?

Roland Hahn who designed most of the palette and a good part of the
toolbar icons is using Inkscape. This may be a bit surprising because
Inkscape is a vector graphics program for svg drawings, but icons are
bitmaps. The main advantage is that every feature of the drawing is
available as a separate object, not merged together like in the bitmap
programs (unless layers are supported). Producing svg vector drawings it
is enough to do an image once and export the three resolutions (95ppi,
144pii, 192ppi) from that single source file. Well - in principle
because the 150% image usually becomes a bit blurred this way. Roland
goes even a step further and does every size individually in order to
fine-tune details.  And the final advantage is that we have svg files
for the time when a future Lazarus will support to scalable svg images.

In the meantime I tried Inkscape myself for some of my own components,
and yes, once I learned the basic operations it is really well-suited.

> Should not lazarus come out of the box with a basic tool that allows
> you to
> create component icons with the correct sizes ?

It really would have to be an advanced program, most of all supporting
layers, and I think that this would be too much work. Besides GreenFish
there is also LazPaint, both written with Lazarus and are very good.

On Thu, 21 May 2020, Werner Pamler via lazarus wrote:

> Am 21.05.2020 um 16:13 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:
>> What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?
>
> Roland Hahn who designed most of the palette and a good part of the
> toolbar icons is using Inkscape. This may be a bit surprising because
> Inkscape is a vector graphics program for svg drawings, but icons are
> bitmaps. The main advantage is that every feature of the drawing is
> available as a separate object, not merged together like in the bitmap
> programs (unless layers are supported). Producing svg vector drawings it
> is enough to do an image once and export the three resolutions (95ppi,
> 144pii, 192ppi) from that single source file. Well - in principle
> because the 150% image usually becomes a bit blurred this way. Roland
> goes even a step further and does every size individually in order to
> fine-tune details.  And the final advantage is that we have svg files
> for the time when a future Lazarus will support to scalable svg images.
OK.

Where are the SVG sources for the icons ? I looked but can't find them.

I need to create a new dataset descendent image. It would be good to be able
to start from one of the existing SVGs and simply change the text.

So maybe the SVGs of the original icons could be included in the lazarus
distribution. That way people can take an existing one and change it.

> In the meantime I tried Inkscape myself for some of my own components,
> and yes, once I learned the basic operations it is really well-suited.

I believe it.

>> Should not lazarus come out of the box with a basic tool that allows
>> you to
>> create component icons with the correct sizes ?
>
> It really would have to be an advanced program, most of all supporting
> layers, and I think that this would be too much work. Besides GreenFish
> there is also LazPaint, both written with Lazarus and are very good.

Yes and no. The goal is to be able to make a minimalistic icon quickly.
For this you don't need a full-blown editor. I expect such tool to be
included in Lazarus.

For Delphi I still use the icon editor that came with D7.
Since they later removed it, I specially saved this program in a separate folder.
For example, I have my own TDatasource. I just changed the colors of the
TDatasource one.
The icons will not win a beauty prize, but at least every component gets a
distinct icon.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the answers ! If the SVG files could be
committed, that would be nice.

https://sourceforge.net/p/lazarus-ccr/svn/HEAD/tree/image_sources/

Re: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Thu, 21 May 2020, Werner Pamler via lazarus wrote:

> Am 21.05.2020 um 17:45 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:
>> Where are the SVG sources for the icons ?

Great ! Thanks !

Now I still need to learn some Inkscape, but that's for later :-)

Re: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

vojtech.cihak

I also use Inkscape and rsvg-convert

I have a script for converting all *.svg icons to multiple sizes:

#!/bin/bash

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 64 -h 64 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_64.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 56 -h 56 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_56.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 48 -h 48 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_48.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 40 -h 40 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_40.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 32 -h 32 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_32.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 28 -h 28 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_28.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 24 -h 24 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_24.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 20 -h 20 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/.svg$/_20.png/'`; done

for i in *.[Ss][Vv][Gg]; do rsvg-convert $i -w 16 -h 16 -a -o ../png_all/`echo $i | sed -e 's/svg$/png/'`; done

Yes, non-integer scaling may be blury sometimes but nothing horrible.

V.

> Datum: 21.05.2020 16:14
> Předmět: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

Hi,

What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?
Every time I need to make an icon for a component,
I find myself in the situation that I start looking for a tool on internet.

Should not lazarus come out of the box with a basic tool that allows you to
create component icons with the correct sizes ?

cut.png (870 bytes) Download Attachment
cut_20.png (1K) Download Attachment
cut_24.png (1K) Download Attachment
cut_28.png (1K) Download Attachment
cut_32.png (2K) Download Attachment
cut_40.png (2K) Download Attachment
cut_48.png (3K) Download Attachment
cut_56.png (4K) Download Attachment
cut_64.png (5K) Download Attachment
cut.svg (11K) Download Attachment

Am 21.05.2020 um 18:06 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus:
> Now I still need to learn some Inkscape, but that's for later :-)

I feel with you... Unfortunately every graphics program has its own
short cuts and places in the menus and toolbars, and yes, Inkscape, like
the well-respsected Gimp, is not a master-piece in user-guidance, at
least for my way of working.  Since the icons are stored in universal
svg, however, you can also switch you other vector programs instead,
like CorelDraw or LibreOffice Draw. But they have other issues...

Re: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

vojtech.cihak

IMO Inkscape works much better compared to Karbon (if it is what you meant LibreOffice Draw).

Therefore I prefer it, even if it is a little stranger (GTK app.) on my Plasma desktop.

V.

On 21/05/2020 3:13 pm, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
> What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?

Aseprite is brilliant. Included in Linux package repositories too. I use
it for pixel art - playing around with game development. There are loads
of fantastic tutorials on youtube too.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Tool to make icons ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
With IcoFX tool I stopped myself googling (also available in portableapps). It create multiple layers icon according with the OS style. See the screenshots
Salvatore

Il giorno ven 22 mag 2020 alle ore 18:03 Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
On 21/05/2020 3:13 pm, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
> What is the tool used to make icons for standard Lazarus components ?

Aseprite is brilliant. Included in Linux package repositories too. I use
it for pixel art - playing around with game development. There are loads
of fantastic tutorials on youtube too.

Regards,
  Graeme

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp