[Lazarus] TextHint rewrite

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Let me continue the "Memo.Lines.Add seems to be slow with Lazarus 1.6" -
TextHint discussion:

1.) Unfortunately it's not possible to create the custom paint event
"PaintAfterInterface" for all TWinControls on Win32. So it doesn't make
sense to implement it.
2.) Some of Lazarus developers don't want to delete the TextHint emulation.

-> For now I rewrote the TextHint emulation a little bit. I hope it's
better since I at least decoupled the properties from the emulation.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] TextHint rewrite

On 11/14/16, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 1.) Unfortunately it's not possible to create the custom paint event
> "PaintAfterInterface" for all TWinControls on Win32. So it doesn't make
> sense to implement it.
> 2.) Some of Lazarus developers don't want to delete the TextHint emulation.
>
> -> For now I rewrote the TextHint emulation a little bit. I hope it's
> better since I at least decoupled the properties from the emulation.

The good news is that GTK 3.2 also supports such a thing natively,
which means that maybe we can move this to widgetset code in the
future.

Bart

On 14.11.2016 17:32, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:
> For now I rewrote the TextHint emulation
Can we have Italic style of textHint , like before? In e.g. IDE filter
boxes.

Alex

On 02.12.2016 17:40, Alexey via Lazarus wrote:
> On 14.11.2016 17:32, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:
>> For now I rewrote the TextHint emulation
> Can we have Italic style of textHint , like before? In e.g. IDE filter
> boxes

WinAPI doesn't support changing text hint font - it is not italic. AFAIK
"TextHint" e.g. in Konqueror navigation bar on Linux isn't italic
either. So no unless you bring very good arguments for it.

On 12/2/16, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> WinAPI doesn't support changing text hint font - it is not italic. AFAIK
> "TextHint" e.g. in Konqueror navigation bar on Linux isn't italic
> either. So no unless you bring very good arguments for it.

I originally made it Italic, because native TextHint on Windows
"looked" Italic to me ...

Bart