[Lazarus] Target Survey

Santiago A.
Hi:

From a message from Gabor, it would be interesting to learn what's the
distribution of Lazarus users:

These are my data:

OS target:
Windows: 55%
Linux: 45%

Widget Target:
Win32 45%
Gtk2: 45%
fpGUI: 10%

Easter Egg data ;-)
Country: Spain

--
Saludos
Santiago A.

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

zeljko
On 07/13/2016 06:12 PM, Santiago A. wrote:

> Hi:
>
> From a message from Gabor, it would be interesting to learn what's the
> distribution of Lazarus users:
>
> These are my data:
>
> OS target:
> Windows: 55%
> Linux: 45%

Windows: 20%
Linux: 75%
OSX: 5%

> Widget Target:
> Win32 45%
> Gtk2: 45%
> fpGUI: 10%

Qt 100%

> Easter Egg data ;-)
> Country: Spain

Country: Croatia

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Graeme Geldenhuys-3

OS target:
  FreeBSD:  90%
  Linux:    10%
  Windows:   0%
  MacOS:     0%

Widget Target:
  Win32:   0%
  GTK2:    5%
  fpGUI:  95%   (pure fpGUI as LCL-fpGUI is still in Alpha state)

Country:
  England

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Marco van de Voort
On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 06:12:09PM +0200, Santiago A. wrote:
> These are my data:

Nearly all is Windows, increasingly 64-bit. Some older and server oriented
programs on Linux. Some of those I also use on my FreeBSD shell accounts.

*nix GUI is nearly zero, so widgetset is win32 except for during Lazarus/FPC
 conferences.

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Anthony Walter
My web server logs show the following Lazarus downloads and installs by platform at getlazarus.org for the past 30 days:

2894 : /download/?platform=windows
1929 : /download/?platform=linux
1572 : /download/?platform=raspberry
691 : /download/?platform=macintosh
1279 : /installed/?platform=windows
1107 : /installed/?platform=linux
658 : /installed/?platform=raspberry
380 : /installed/?minimal&os=linux&dist=unknown
227 : /installed/?platform=macintosh
29 : /installed/?minimal&os=linux&dist=ubuntu

Source:

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Leonardo M. Ramé
OS Target:
Windows: 30%
Linux: 70% (CGI/Brook - command line utilities).

Widget Target:
Win32: 100%*

*: The only desktop target right now, but most of our targets are
command line and WEB.

Country: Argentina.

--
Leonardo M. Ramé
Medical IT - Griensu S.A.

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Denis Kozlov
80% Windows (mostly Win32 apps, few console tools)
15% Linux (console services and tools)
3% Mac (console tools)
2% FreeBSD (console services and tools)

Plan is to increase the share in Linux and Mac by porting some GUI apps.

Denis

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Alexsander Rosa
Our customers (desktop count only):
85% Ubuntu
15% Windows

80% Windows (mostly Win32 apps, few console tools)
15% Linux (console services and tools)
3% Mac (console tools)
2% FreeBSD (console services and tools)

Plan is to increase the share in Linux and Mac by porting some GUI apps.

Denis

Atenciosamente,
Alexsander da Rosa

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

aradeonas
Can I use a LCL component in a fpGUI app?

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - mmm... Fastmail...

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2016-07-18 21:58, Aradeonas wrote:
> Can I use a LCL component in a fpGUI app?

No, they are separate toolkits - just like you can't mix GTK and Qt
widgets in the same application.

Saying that, I have found it is quite easy and relatively quick to port
LCL or VCL components to fpGUI. I've done that quite a few times
already. Just curious, what component did you want to use?

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Giuliano Colla
OS target:
   Linux:  99.9%
   Windows: 0.1%
   MacOS:     0%
   FreeBSD:   0%

Widget Target:
   Qt 99.8%
   GTK2:  0.1% (just one app because of a Qt bug I never bothered to fix/report)
   Win32: 0.1%

Country:
   devel: Italy
   deploy: pretty much all the rest of the world (industrial equipments)

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Andrea Mauri
OS target:
Linux: 50%
Windows: 50%

Widget Target:
Win32: 50%
GTK2: 50%

Application:
both GUI and CLI on win ad linux. MacOSX not yet evaluated, it will
probably be the next target. GTK2 (and eventually win32) could be
replaced with Qt.
Customer: big companies and universities.

Il 19/07/2016 01:47, Giuliano Colla ha scritto:

> OS target:
>   Linux:  99.9%
>   Windows: 0.1%
>   MacOS:     0%
>   FreeBSD:   0%
>

> Widget Target:
>   Qt    99.8%
>   GTK2:  0.1% (just one app because of a Qt bug I never bothered to
> fix/report)
>   Win32: 0.1%
>
> Country:
>   devel: Italy
>   deploy: pretty much all the rest of the world (industrial equipments)

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

aradeonas
Saying that, I have found it is quite easy and relatively quick to port
LCL or VCL components to fpGUI. I've done that quite a few times
already. Just curious, what component did you want to use?

Virtual tree view.

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - The professional email service

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2016-07-19 15:50, Aradeonas wrote:
>> Just curious, what component did you want to use?
>
> Virtual tree view.

Are you using Virtual Treeview as a treeview or a grid? It seems some
components (VT, ListView etc) don't really know what they want to be. ;-)

Many of fpGUI's standard components are much faster than LCL or VCL
equivalents, so you don't need 3rd party component suites. eg: fpGUI's
standard TreeView and StringGrid are really fast. For example the last
time I testing fpGUI's StringGrid it could create 8 million columns and
rows and populate each cell with unique text in 5 seconds. Scrolling was
instant with no delays. LCL's TStringGrid got stuck at 100% CPU load for
over 3 hours before I killed the process.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

aradeonas
Are you using Virtual Treeview as a treeview or a grid? It seems some
components (VT, ListView etc) don't really know what they want to be. ;-)

Both, As VTV is the best grid-ish component I fount in Lazarus world. Kgrid is good but slow.

Many of fpGUI's standard components are much faster than LCL or VCL
equivalents, so you don't need 3rd party component suites. eg: fpGUI's
standard TreeView and StringGrid are really fast. For example the last
time I testing fpGUI's StringGrid it could create 8 million columns and
rows and populate each cell with unique text in 5 seconds. Scrolling was
instant with no delays. LCL's TStringGrid got stuck at 100% CPU load for
over 3 hours before I killed the process.

 You are right about LCL speed, it's grids are for simple use and I never used them in a real project but in the other hand VTV is the fastest I found and has many abilities (not built in unfortunately ) as editors and ... .
I didnt see a grid for this usage in fpGUI demos at least in my last check. Can it be a good grid because I miss DevExpress's cxGrid very much and I dont expect its abilities but I need VTV abilities at least.

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Does exactly what it says on the tin

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Graeme Geldenhuys-3
On 2016-07-19 18:05, Aradeonas wrote:
>> Are you using Virtual Treeview as a treeview or a grid? It seems
>> some components (VT, ListView etc) don't really know what they want
>> to be. ;-)
>
> Both, As VTV is the best grid-ish component I fount in Lazarus world.
> Kgrid is good but slow.

Umm... using a TreeView component as a Grid. Somewhere the design went
horrible wrong. :-p

For the rest of your questions, I'll reply in the fpGUI newsgroup
(fpgui.support). It is not appropriate to continue this hijacked thread
here.

  http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/support.shtml

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

aradeonas
Ok, I should install XanaNews for that (after these years a forum will help new users knowing fpGUI) and I will ask for that but as I said VTV is the best option and its a good grid, its name is only a trick.

Regards,
Ara

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Send your email first class

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Martin Schreiber
On Tuesday 19 July 2016 19:32:33 Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2016-07-19 18:05, Aradeonas wrote:
> >> Are you using Virtual Treeview as a treeview or a grid? It seems
> >> some components (VT, ListView etc) don't really know what they want
> >> to be. ;-)
> >
> > Both, As VTV is the best grid-ish component I fount in Lazarus world.
> > Kgrid is good but slow.
>
> Umm... using a TreeView component as a Grid. Somewhere the design went
> horrible wrong. :-p

I don't think so. MSEgui also supports a combination of treeview and grid by
placing a TTreeItemEdit in a TWidgetGrid. TWidgetGrid accepts any data edit
widget as column widget (TStringEdit, TIntegerEdit, TRealEdit, TDataButton,
TSlider, TDropdownListedit...) which builds a column with the according data
type. In case of TTreeItemEdit the datatype is an instance pointer of
TTreeListItem. Very handy.

Martin

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Jürgen Hestermann
Am 2016-07-19 um 19:32 schrieb Graeme Geldenhuys:
> Umm... using a TreeView component as a Grid. Somewhere the design went
> horrible wrong. :-p

I don't think so.
VTV (which I also find extremely flexible and fast)
is a grid where one (arbitrary) column can contain a tree
which simply means that the visible parts in this column
are indented according to the level of the tree structure
but still it is just an ordinary column with data
(getting wider with each level of tree depth).
The other columns just present meta-data to the entry.
That's how I would expect any tree representation to look like:

If you don't use a tree like column it just falls back to an ordinary grid.

Re: [Lazarus] Target Survey

Michael Schnell
On 07/19/2016 05:31 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Many of fpGUI's standard components are much faster than LCL or VCL
> equivalents,...
I am astonished to hear that, because up to now I thought that fpGUI
("drawing" a lot of the more complex stuff in Pascal code) would
necessarily be slower than a library that links to a complex external
graphical framework, that is OS and graphics driver aware and hence
should be able to make use of the underlying system in a more optimized
way.

As you might know I plan to enhance the "NoGui" Widget Type to allow for
a standard main thread event queue, including standard usage of TTimer,
TThread.Synchronize, TThread.Queue and friends. This already does work,
but is not published as the project currently is stalled due to the
usual "lack of available time" problem.

In a second step, I intend to do the basics for a "remote GUI" on top of
that. Options here are "ifi" (invented by Martin, and already working in
MSE: a dedicated program that shows the GUI of a remote program
connected via a bidirectional byte stream), or a JavaScript based remote
HTML GUI to allow for a "smart Web" application. As a base for this, I
think, stealing the code of  either of "FPGUI" or "CustomDrawn" might
make sense.

Do you think FpGUI is more appropriate  ?

Thanks,
-Michael