[Lazarus] TMemDataset.Filename property in Lazarus

[Lazarus] TMemDataset.Filename property in Lazarus

Playing around with TMemDataset, I dropped it on a form, then clicked
"..." button of the FileName property in the Object Inspector. The file
dialog shows that I can select ANY file, so I selected a PNG file and
set Active = True. ;-) NO surprise, that didn't work as expected.
Incorrect data stream.

Clearly the TMemDataset expects a specific file format, so why doesn't
the File Open dialog list the file type and file extension that is expected.

Using Lazarus 1.9.0 r54792 FPC 3.0.2 x86_64-freebsd-gtk2

Regards,
   Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] TMemDataset.Filename property in Lazarus

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Playing around with TMemDataset, I dropped it on a form, then clicked
> "..." button of the FileName property in the Object Inspector. The file
> dialog shows that I can select ANY file, so I selected a PNG file and
> set Active = True. ;-) NO surprise, that didn't work as expected.
> Incorrect data stream.
>
> Clearly the TMemDataset expects a specific file format, so why doesn't
> the File Open dialog list the file type and file extension that is expected.

Because there is no designated extension.

On 2017-10-09 09:11, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> Because there is no designated extension.

Be Delphi-compatible and use *.cds maybe? ;-)

Jokes aside - it would be more useful using any designated extension
than simply "all files". The latter is way too vague.

Regards,
   Graeme