[Lazarus] TLabel or TStaticText?

I'm using Lazarus 1.8.4 on Win10. In my application I have a Form with 2
functions. (1) Is to download files from an internet server using ftp,
(2) is to store the data from those files in the datacollection.
Sometimes I loose my internet connection and in that case I want to show
a warning in the the middle of the form and in front of all the other
components. For the warning I use a TLabel component for the layout
parameter tlCenter. But the label is partly hidden behind another
component (TFileListBox) and BringToFront doesn't help.
Now I tried a TStaticText component and that works just fine. Except
that it has no Layout property and no Paint procedure I could override.
Is there a component that gives me all the behaviour I want? Is there a
way to bring the TLabel realy in front of all other components? Is there
a way to vertical align the text of a TStaticText caption?

Thx for your reactions

--
mvg
Frans van Leeuwen

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Re: [Lazarus] TLabel or TStaticText?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
what about a new form with FormStyle := fsSystemStayOnTop ?!

Am 15.03.19 um 12:37 schrieb frans via lazarus:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Lazarus 1.8.4 on Win10. In my application I have a Form with
> 2 functions. (1) Is to download files from an internet server using
> ftp, (2) is to store the data from those files in the datacollection.
> Sometimes I loose my internet connection and in that case I want to
> show a warning in the the middle of the form and in front of all the
> other components. For the warning I use a TLabel component for the
> layout parameter tlCenter. But the label is partly hidden behind
> another component (TFileListBox) and BringToFront doesn't help.
> Now I tried a TStaticText component and that works just fine. Except
> that it has no Layout property and no Paint procedure I could override.
> Is there a component that gives me all the behaviour I want? Is there
> a way to bring the TLabel realy in front of all other components? Is
> there a way to vertical align the text of a TStaticText caption?
>
> Thx for your reactions

Re: [Lazarus] TLabel or TStaticText?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I thougth of that, but I need the focus on the original form. The
mesaage is only informative, all the functionality must be availabe.

mvg
Frans van Leeuwen
M 06-51695390

Op 15-3-2019 om 14:08 schreef John Landmesser via lazarus:

> what about a new form with FormStyle := fsSystemStayOnTop ?!
>
> Am 15.03.19 um 12:37 schrieb frans via lazarus:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Lazarus 1.8.4 on Win10. In my application I have a Form
>> with 2 functions. (1) Is to download files from an internet server
>> using ftp, (2) is to store the data from those files in the
>> datacollection.
>> Sometimes I loose my internet connection and in that case I want to
>> show a warning in the the middle of the form and in front of all the
>> other components. For the warning I use a TLabel component for the
>> layout parameter tlCenter. But the label is partly hidden behind
>> another component (TFileListBox) and BringToFront doesn't help.
>> Now I tried a TStaticText component and that works just fine. Except
>> that it has no Layout property and no Paint procedure I could override.
>> Is there a component that gives me all the behaviour I want? Is there
>> a way to bring the TLabel realy in front of all other components? Is
>> there a way to vertical align the text of a TStaticText caption?
>>
>> Thx for your reactions

---
Deze e-mail is gecontroleerd op virussen door AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Re: [Lazarus] TLabel or TStaticText?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:42:52 +0100
frans via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I thougth of that, but I need the focus on the original form. The
> mesaage is only informative, all the functionality must be availabe.
>
> mvg
> Frans van Leeuwen
> M 06-51695390
>
> Op 15-3-2019 om 14:08 schreef John Landmesser via lazarus:
> > what about a new form with FormStyle := fsSystemStayOnTop ?!
> >
> > Am 15.03.19 um 12:37 schrieb frans via lazarus:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm using Lazarus 1.8.4 on Win10. In my application I have a Form
> >> with 2 functions. (1) Is to download files from an internet server
> >> using ftp, (2) is to store the data from those files in the
> >> datacollection.
> >> Sometimes I loose my internet connection and in that case I want
> >> to show a warning in the the middle of the form and in front of
> >> all the other components. For the warning I use a TLabel component
> >> for the layout parameter tlCenter. But the label is partly hidden
> >> behind another component (TFileListBox) and BringToFront doesn't
> >> help. Now I tried a TStaticText component and that works just
> >> fine. Except that it has no Layout property and no Paint procedure
> >> I could override. Is there a component that gives me all the
> >> behaviour I want? Is there a way to bring the TLabel realy in
> >> front of all other components? Is there a way to vertical align
> >> the text of a TStaticText caption?

You can put the TLabel inside a TPanel.

Re: [Lazarus] TLabel or TStaticText?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Using a TPanel as a container is generally good advice for similar
problems with all TGraphicControl descendents. I often use a TPanel to
contain a TImage for this reason.

Perhaps the point that needs to come across is that TLabel is a
TGraphicControl and is drawn by the LCL, while TStaticText is a
TWinControl descendent (as is TPanel) and is drawn by the underlying
"interface" e.g. GTK2. They thus behave differently e.g. with Z-order.

On 15/03/2019 14:04, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:42:52 +0100
> frans via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I thougth of that, but I need the focus on the original form. The
>> mesaage is only informative, all the functionality must be availabe.
>>
>> mvg
>> Frans van Leeuwen
>> M 06-51695390
>>
>> Op 15-3-2019 om 14:08 schreef John Landmesser via lazarus:
>>> what about a new form with FormStyle := fsSystemStayOnTop ?!

> You can put the TLabel inside a TPanel.
>
> Mattias

Re: [Lazarus] TLabel or TStaticText?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Thx all, a TPanel is the solution for my problem.

mvg
Frans van Leeuwen
M 06-51695390

Op 15-3-2019 om 15:14 schreef Tony Whyman via lazarus:

> Using a TPanel as a container is generally good advice for similar
> problems with all TGraphicControl descendents. I often use a TPanel to
> contain a TImage for this reason.
>
> Perhaps the point that needs to come across is that TLabel is a
> TGraphicControl and is drawn by the LCL, while TStaticText is a
> TWinControl descendent (as is TPanel) and is drawn by the underlying
> "interface" e.g. GTK2. They thus behave differently e.g. with Z-order.
>
> On 15/03/2019 14:04, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 14:42:52 +0100
>> frans via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I thougth of that, but I need the focus on the original form. The
>>> mesaage is only informative, all the functionality must be availabe.
>>>
>>> mvg
>>> Frans van Leeuwen
>>> M 06-51695390

>> You can put the TLabel inside a TPanel.