[Lazarus] TBufDataset.Filename property in Object Inspector

[Lazarus] TBufDataset.Filename property in Object Inspector

Following on from my previous TMemDataset.Filename issue. With
TBufDataset, there is no property editor associated with the FileName
property. Is this just an oversight or done for a specific reason?

An the same issue as with TMemDataset.Filename. Clearly it expects a
specific file format denoted with a specific file extension. I selected
one of Kylix 3's *.cds files...

   /home/graemeg/apps/kylix3/examples/delphi/db/fishfact/biolife.cds

and when I set Active = True, the TBufDataset gave an "unable to open
file" error - I assume what it really meant is that it doesn't know the
file stream format.

Regards,
   Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] TBufDataset.Filename property in Object Inspector

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Sun, 8 Oct 2017, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Following on from my previous TMemDataset.Filename issue. With
> TBufDataset, there is no property editor associated with the FileName
> property. Is this just an oversight or done for a specific reason?

Oversight.

> An the same issue as with TMemDataset.Filename. Clearly it expects a
> specific file format denoted with a specific file extension. I selected
> one of Kylix 3's *.cds files...
>
>   /home/graemeg/apps/kylix3/examples/delphi/db/fishfact/biolife.cds
>
> and when I set Active = True, the TBufDataset gave an "unable to open
> file" error - I assume what it really meant is that it doesn't know the
> file stream format.

Correct.

TBufDataset can read the XML format used by TClientDataset, but by default it uses another format.
It cannot read the binary cds format.

On 2017-10-09 09:13, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> TBufDataset can read the XML format used by TClientDataset, but by default it uses another format.
> It cannot read the binary cds format.

I looked at the properties listed in the Object Inspector again. I see
no property that tells me to switch between XML or any other format. How
do you tell TBufDataset what the format is of the file specified in the
FileName property?

Regards,
   Graeme