[Lazarus] TApplication.Create and BidiMode

ik

[Lazarus] TApplication.Create and BidiMode

ik
Hello All,

I've created a patch to add support for SysLocale.MiddleEast and SysLocale.RightToLeft, however I'm not sure that the way I implement it, was a valid way.
First of all, I do not know how Delphi does it, and secondly, I'm not sure if it should take precedence or should I rewrite the direction function instead, and if so, what should be first in my checking.

So I wish to raise a discussion on this implementation before someone will apply this patch.

Thanks,
Ido

LINESIP - Opening the source for communication
http://www.linesip.com
http://www.linesip.co.il

ik

Re: [Lazarus] TApplication.Create and BidiMode

ik
The patch is wrong, please ignore it for now, until I'll send a new patch.

I think in general that the way we detect the language direction is wrong.
For example the detection is by the translation file, however what if the translation file does not include any translations, or is only full 10% or less. Such direction will do the wrong job, because most of the text will be in English, yet the direction will be from right to left and that's render the usage to be very hard.

So we should have a more reliable way to do so imho.

Ido

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 01:01, ik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello All,

I've created a patch to add support for SysLocale.MiddleEast and SysLocale.RightToLeft, however I'm not sure that the way I implement it, was a valid way.
First of all, I do not know how Delphi does it, and secondly, I'm not sure if it should take precedence or should I rewrite the direction function instead, and if so, what should be first in my checking.

So I wish to raise a discussion on this implementation before someone will apply this patch.

Thanks,
Ido

LINESIP - Opening the source for communication
http://www.linesip.com
http://www.linesip.co.il

Re: [Lazarus] TApplication.Create and BidiMode

Zaher Dirkey
2011/2/20 ik <[hidden email]>
The patch is wrong, please ignore it for now, until I'll send a new patch.

I think in general that the way we detect the language direction is wrong.
For example the detection is by the translation file, however what if the translation file does not include any translations, or is only full 10% or less. Such direction will do the wrong job, because most of the text will be in English, yet the direction will be from right to left and that's render the usage to be very hard.

So we should have a more reliable way to do so imho.

Ido

Hi, I think Application.BidiMode must depend on the translation that choose not on the system installed, because i sometime write a English tools only, and it must changed when the translated changed.

Regards

--
Zaher Dirkey