[Lazarus] Status of namespace

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi all!!

Whats the current state of Lazarus when dealing with packages with dotted units (namespaces)?

Should I avoid this idea?

The best regards,

Fabio Luis Girardi
PascalSCADA Project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pascalscada
http://www.pascalscada.com

Re: [Lazarus] Status of namespace

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all!!
>
> Whats the current state of Lazarus when dealing with packages with dotted
> units (namespaces)?
>
> Should I avoid this idea?

It's working.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] Status of namespace

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:08 PM, Fabio Luis Girardi via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Whats the current state of Lazarus when dealing with packages with dotted
> units (namespaces)?

Dotted unit names are supported more or less.

> Should I avoid this idea?

No. Instead please work with them and report problems.
I found 2 related bug reports:

- FPDoc. May not be relevant in your case. (?)

- The original bug is fixed long time ago, but I understood there are
2 others that should be reported separately.
  - F12 in designer.
  - Codetools issues.
Can you please test and report the remaining issues. I will resolve #20892 then.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Juha Manninen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> - The original bug is fixed long time ago, but I understood there are
> 2 others that should be reported separately.
>   - F12 in designer.
>   - Codetools issues.

... and those may be fixed already, too.

Re: [Lazarus] Status of namespace

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 11:50 AM, Juha Manninen via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Juha Manninen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> - The original bug is fixed long time ago, but I understood there are
>> 2 others that should be reported separately.
>>   - F12 in designer.
>>   - Codetools issues.
>
> ... and those may be fixed already, too.

I believe they were already fixed. I'm using it without these problems.

Regards,
Marcos Douglas

Re: [Lazarus] Status of namespace

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I believe they were already fixed. I'm using it without these problems.

Thanks. I was lazy to test myself now.
Ondrej resolved the issue. The dotted names support may be quite perfect now.

Em 2 de ago de 2017 11:46 AM, "Juha Manninen" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

No. Instead please work with them and report problems.
I found 2 related bug reports:

- FPDoc. May not be relevant in your case. (?)

No.

- The original bug is fixed long time ago, but I understood there are
2 others that should be reported separately.
  - F12 in designer.
  - Codetools issues.
Can you please test and report the remaining issues. I will resolve #20892 then.

My issues are related with Codetools. After insert a component or a control where the class is declared on dotted unit, I can't add a second component/control declared on other dotted unit. But I'll update my Lazarus first and then report my experiences.

Thanks

Fabio

Re: [Lazarus] Status of namespace

On Wed, 2 Aug 2017 22:39:22 +0300
Juha Manninen via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I believe they were already fixed. I'm using it without these problems.
>
> Thanks. I was lazy to test myself now.
> Ondrej resolved the issue. The dotted names support may be quite perfect now.

In fact, even the -NS switch is supported by the IDE. So when
eventually FPC supports it Lazarus is ready.

On 2017-08-02 20:39, Juha Manninen via Lazarus wrote:
> he dotted names support may be quite perfect now.

So does FPC or Lazarus already support the ability to specify the
default namespace that must be applied for a project? If so how and
where do you specify the namespace to be applied?

eg:
  With Delphi I can write code using the Forms unit, but then at compile
time I can specify the VCL or FMX namespace, and the correct
<namespace>.Forms.pas unit will be used. This is a key feature of
namespaces and dotted units - and very useful in framework type code.

Last time I checked [some months ago] FPC and Lazarus only supported
dotted unit names, but the ability to specify a default namespace was
not supported yet.

Regards,
   Graeme

Am 13.08.2017 12:18 schrieb "Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus" <[hidden email]>:

> On 2017-08-02 20:39, Juha Manninen via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> he dotted names support may be quite perfect now.
>

> So does FPC or Lazarus already support the ability to specify the default namespace that must be applied for a project? If so how and where do you specify the namespace to be applied?
>
> eg:
>  With Delphi I can write code using the Forms unit, but then at compile time I can specify the VCL or FMX namespace, and the correct <namespace>.Forms.pas unit will be used. This is a key feature of namespaces and dotted units - and very useful in framework type code.
>
> Last time I checked [some months ago] FPC and Lazarus only supported dotted unit names, but the ability to specify a default namespace was not supported yet.

Specifying default namespaces (yes, plural) is not yet supported by FPC.

On 2017-08-13 11:44, Sven Barth via Lazarus wrote:
> Specifying default namespaces (yes, plural) is not yet supported by FPC.

Okay, thanks for confirming that Sven.

Regards,
   Graeme