[Lazarus] Size of program executable very big...

Re: [Lazarus] Size of program executable very big...

wkitty42
On 2/19/2011 07:15, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> Mattias Gaertner schrieb:
>
>> When you create a new build mode in Lazarus the current one is copied.
>
> Why that?
>
> When I want to maintain different branches of a project, I can already save the
> project under a new name. But IMO Release and Debug versions only should change
> compiler options, not the units.

i kinda wondered the same thing... but then i thought about it a little more and
realized that one could have "debug" units and include files that are the same
as the release ones but without the debug stuff included...

another thing is do you really want to rebuild everything in your project when
switching modes and including (or not) all the additional debug info?

yes, i know the above could easily be handled with a define but not everyone
thinks or operates the same way ;)

Re: [Lazarus] Size of program executable very big...

Hans-Peter Diettrich
Mattias Gaertner schrieb:

>>> When you create a new build mode in Lazarus the current one is copied.
>> Why that?
>
> Because normally you want to change only a few things like optimization
> flags and keep the rest (e.g. search paths, target file name,
> verbosity, ...).

The *rest* is of my concern. It should not be copied, instead be used as
is, in every mode.

What fun when you debug a new version, and then ship the old one, built
from the old release build mode :-(

DoDi

Re: [Lazarus] Size of program executable very big...

Mattias Gaertner
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 23:05:14 +0100
Hans-Peter Diettrich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Why that?
> >
> > Because normally you want to change only a few things like optimization
> > flags and keep the rest (e.g. search paths, target file name,
> > verbosity, ...).
>
> The *rest* is of my concern. It should not be copied, instead be used as
> is, in every mode.
>
> What fun when you debug a new version, and then ship the old one, built
> from the old release build mode :-(

Ehm, maybe you misunderstood the term "build mode" in
Lazarus?

http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Compiler_Options#Build_modes