[Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

[Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

vfclists .
Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

I think they should. One for the design itself and one for describing the usage at design or runtime.

Smalltalk has it.

Consider it a version of the Hint property but for the developer

--
Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Graeme Geldenhuys-2
On 2013-07-11 21:22, vfclists . wrote:

> Consider it a version of the Hint property but for the developer

That's the job of documentation. Fix the documentation in Lazarus IDE
(format, content, integration), and your problems is solved.

Regards,
  G.

Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

leledumbo
Administrator
> Annotations like in Java would be nice...

No IMHO, that would complicate reading the code (more cluttered) as you can see in the newer Delphi versions (called attributes instead of annotations though).

[Lazarus] Accents in IDE and my apps

Éderson Cássio
Hello, guys.
I've just found that the duplicated accents problem in GTK2 only occurs when I configure my system language to Brazilian Portuguese.
The problem happens with any keyboard layout, just like the Brazilian layout and even with the US International.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Éderson Cássio - Brazil

On 11 July 2013 23:07, Benito van der Zander <[hidden email]> wrote:
Annotations like in Java would be nice...

On 07/11/2013 10:22 PM, vfclists . wrote:
Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

I think they should. One for the design itself and one for describing the usage at design or runtime.

Smalltalk has it.

Consider it a version of the Hint property but for the developer

--
Frank Church

This attitude which exists in the Pascal community needs to end. I say Pascal not FreePascal because when I examine a lot of free Delphi libraries I see the same thing. Lots and lots of code and not a comment in sight. It makes stuff needlessly difficult. The simple fact is documentation is never going to happen because no one has time to create it with separate tools, not even the people writing the code themselves. Coding time is the best time for documentation because that is when the intent of the code is clear and fresh in the developers mind, and incurs minimal additional cost. After all it takes barely a minute or two to describe a function, and the same parsing tools compiling the code can pull out the comments and create documentation stubs if there is a need to flesh them out further, eg with examples etc

Even a lot of the funded open source libraries don't have the resources to create proper documentation. If you take Delphi for instance, since Turbo Pascal, Delphi 7 etc the quality of documentation has gone down and these are companies that are well funded.

Instead of doing the simple thing a purist attitude has been adopted which never does anyone any good.

It is time developers learn to treat other developers as consumers not people who are supposed to RTFC or RTFM. Developers are people who are supposed to put parts together just by examining the function parameters and the function descriptions rather than wade through loads of procedure definitions and sample code full of similar sounding and confusing names.

Enough digression - if considered carefully a comment about the purpose of an object belongs in the object definition itself. Why should interrogation about an object's purpose be handled by a whole subsystem of code which has precisely nothing to do with the object, ie the operating system, a help displaying program, a filename which is the help document, as well as a search string which is the object's name? Multiply that by the variety of help displaying programs for each operating system, then by the number of operating systems available then you can see how ridiculous the whole concept is. Just bureaucracy piled on bureaucracy and attachment to ill thought out convention and tradition. There is never a direct link between an object and the  help display programs available on the operating system.

There is a totally insane disconnect here. The Smalltalk guys got it right.

There can be an options to strip the comments out in the final deliverable just like the debugging information.

On 12 July 2013 01:20, leledumbo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Annotations like in Java would be nice...

No IMHO, that would complicate reading the code (more cluttered) as you can
see in the newer Delphi versions (called attributes instead of annotations
though).

This is what folding editors exist for. The developer can fold them out of view when he doesn't need to read them This facility already exists in the Lazarus editor.

Any way I thinking of simple one liners, not whole paragraphs.
--
Frank Church

Re: [Lazarus] [fpc-pascal] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Michael Van Canneyt

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013, vfclists . wrote:

> Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?
>
> I think they should. One for the design itself and one for describing the usage at design or runtime.

No.
It takes memory and needs management. Putting this in a basic class such as TComponent is not an option.
Your suggestion to 'not store it in the final executable' is not even remotely possible.

You can put a comment in front of the object or any of its properties, and the lazarus
IDE will display this comment for you.

It does not take memory, and performs the same function. The only reason the smalltalk people didn't
take that approach, I suppose, is because they don't have an intelligent IDE.

Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

Benito van der Zander
 >as you can see in the newer Delphi versions (called attributes instead
of annotations though).

Well, then they need to be added for Delphi compatiblity :o

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Benito van der Zander wrote:

>> as you can see in the newer Delphi versions (called attributes instead of
> annotations though).
>
> Well, then they need to be added for Delphi compatiblity :o

They have been added. It's just not yet in trunk.

Re: [Lazarus] Accents in IDE and my apps

wkitty42
On 7/12/2013 00:05, Éderson Cássio wrote:
> Hello, guys.
> I've just found that the duplicated accents problem in GTK2 only occurs when I
> configure my system language to Brazilian Portuguese.
> The problem happens with any keyboard layout, just like the Brazilian layout and
> even with the US International.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
> Éderson Cássio - Brazil

other than thoughts about your thread hijacking attempt? nope... no ideas at
all... perhaps you meant to post this another thread specific to your keyboard
problem topic? perhaps you meant to start a new thread? ;) ;) ;)

Re: [Lazarus] Accents in IDE and my apps

Éderson Cássio
I wrote on this thread because I'd like to help to improve Lazarus code as I find problems with it.

It was a problem for which I could produce a solution in the LCL code, but Mattias Gaertner said me the problem doesn't occur on all systems. Well, I found one situation when the problem occurs, on my system.

It's not only a "my system" problem, it's a problem in the way the GTK2 Lazarus widgetset interacts with some systems (including mine). I say that because other GTK2 applications have a normal behavior, even Lazarus applications when my system language is "English". Maybe an "if" would solve the problem; I just want to keep talking to someone who can guide me in the LCL changes without causing disasters. Mattias gave me an advice (thanks!), and I have found a new direction.

De: waldo kitty <[hidden email]>
Para: [hidden email]
Enviadas: Sexta-feira, 12 de Julho de 2013 10:38
Assunto: Re: [Lazarus] Accents in IDE and my apps

On 7/12/2013 18:36, Éderson Cássio wrote:
> I wrote on this thread because I'd like to help to improve Lazarus code as I
> find problems with it.

i understand that but your addition has nothing to do with comment properties in
TObject or TComponent :/

the only reason i saw your portion was because i have not marked this thread as
"ignore" or "all caught up"... many others will not see your posts because of
this...

Em 12-07-2013 22:31, waldo kitty escreveu:

> On 7/12/2013 18:36, Éderson Cássio wrote:
>> I wrote on this thread because I'd like to help to improve Lazarus
>> code as I
>> find problems with it.
>
> i understand that but your addition has nothing to do with comment
> properties in TObject or TComponent :/
>
> the only reason i saw your portion was because i have not marked this
> thread as "ignore" or "all caught up"... many others will not see your
> posts because of this...

I am new to this list, the only way I know to use it is sending a
message to "[hidden email]". How do I know what
thread the message is going to, who is reading, who is not reading...?

Re: [Lazarus] Accents in IDE and my apps

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
Éderson Cássio <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wrote on this thread because I'd like to help to improve Lazarus code as I find problems with it.

Waldo meant:
Use the 'Reply' button of your mailer, when you want to
reply to someone's mail. Otherwise use the 'New' button.
The reason is that the 'Reply' button copies the hidden message ID. It
does not matter if you change the subject. The mail is associated with
the old mail thread "Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment
property".

On 7/13/2013 00:48, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:36:26 -0700 (PDT)
> Éderson Cássio<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I wrote on this thread because I'd like to help to improve Lazarus code as I find problems with it.
>
> Waldo meant:
> Use the 'Reply' button of your mailer, when you want to
> reply to someone's mail. Otherwise use the 'New' button.

thank you, mattias... i need to work on my communication method i guess ;)

> The reason is that the 'Reply' button copies the hidden message ID. It
> does not matter if you change the subject. The mail is associated with
> the old mail thread "Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment
> property".

exactly...

On 7/12/2013 22:26, Éderson Cássio wrote:

> Em 12-07-2013 22:31, waldo kitty escreveu:
>> On 7/12/2013 18:36, Éderson Cássio wrote:
>>> I wrote on this thread because I'd like to help to improve Lazarus code as I
>>> find problems with it.
>>
>> i understand that but your addition has nothing to do with comment properties
>> in TObject or TComponent :/
>>
>> the only reason i saw your portion was because i have not marked this thread
>> as "ignore" or "all caught up"... many others will not see your posts because
>> of this...
>>
> I am new to this list, the only way I know to use it is sending a message to
> "[hidden email]". How do I know what thread the message is
> going to, who is reading, who is not reading...?

the problem is that you hit the REPLY button on a post in this thread instead of
hitting the NEW MESSAGE or WRITE MESSAGE button depending on your interface...
REPLY is to reply to an existing thread and generally quotes the message you are
replying to...

NEW or WRITE starts your own new thread... one can have many new threads as well
as participating in many existing ones... just pay attention to the button you
click to start your post...

i apologize that i did not make this clear in the beginning...

lastly, i should say welcome to the list! hopefully you will find it
educational, enjoyable and possibly even entertaining ;)

On 2013-07-13 15:55, waldo kitty wrote:

>> The reason is that the 'Reply' button copies the hidden message ID. It
>> does not matter if you change the subject. The mail is associated with
>> the old mail thread "Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment
>> property".
>
> exactly...

It is such a pity that we can not induce an electric shock remotely, to
each person that does that. It is so annoying!  One more reason I prefer
newsgroups (NNTP). The news client automatically inserts the "To" field
when you press "New message".

Regards,
  G.

Re: [Lazarus] Should TObject or TComponent have a Comment property?

leledumbo
Administrator
> Well, then they need to be added for Delphi compatiblity :o

I can't say anything anymore when the reason is this :)

Hoo... a hidden branch?

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, leledumbo wrote:

>> Well, then they need to be added for Delphi compatiblity :o
>
> I can't say anything anymore when the reason is this :)
>
>> They have been added. It's just not yet in trunk.
>
> Hoo... a hidden branch?

It's not hidden. I suspect it is called "joost"