[Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Juha Manninen
Hi

This is not really Lazarus related but I found a Linux distro that works well
without any tweaking and runs fast.
I think it is OK to advertise an open source project when you see a good one.

It is called Sabayon Linux. It has a good installer, too.
It is based on Gentoo Linux which is rather a geek distro and very difficult to
install. That's why the ease of installation and usage is surprising.

Every web-page works without tweaking. Earlier I had to boot Windows for my
school CCNA (Cisco Admin) course material with Java+Flash.
Now even that works!

Everything is faster than anything I have seen in Linux before. The reason
must be the good and optimized Gentoo base. Even the Sabayon devels during
chat didn't find other explanation for it.

Java apps that run from browser, like Runescape game, have speed equal or
better than Windows.
OpenGL apps and games all work super-fast.
Earlier my son booted Windows to play Runescape (browser) or Sauerbraten
(OpenGL) because they were slow on Linux. No need for that any more.

Sabayon is basically a pre-compiled Gentoo.
You can use Gentoo ebuilds if you need.
It makes the system very flexible, but most users don't need that.

I am impressed!

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Torsten Bonde Christiansen
Hi Juha

Which WM do you use with it?

As far as i can tell from my local ftp download site, there are ISO's for:
Gnome, Enlightenment, KDE, LXDE and XFCE

Happy linuxing,

On 2011-03-23 13:50, Juha (gmail) wrote:

> Hi
>
> This is not really Lazarus related but I found a Linux distro that works well
> without any tweaking and runs fast.
> I think it is OK to advertise an open source project when you see a good one.
>
> It is called Sabayon Linux. It has a good installer, too.
> It is based on Gentoo Linux which is rather a geek distro and very difficult to
> install. That's why the ease of installation and usage is surprising.
>
> Every web-page works without tweaking. Earlier I had to boot Windows for my
> school CCNA (Cisco Admin) course material with Java+Flash.
> Now even that works!
>
> Everything is faster than anything I have seen in Linux before. The reason
> must be the good and optimized Gentoo base. Even the Sabayon devels during
> chat didn't find other explanation for it.
>
> Java apps that run from browser, like Runescape game, have speed equal or
> better than Windows.
> OpenGL apps and games all work super-fast.
> Earlier my son booted Windows to play Runescape (browser) or Sauerbraten
> (OpenGL) because they were slow on Linux. No need for that any more.
>
> Sabayon is basically a pre-compiled Gentoo.
> You can use Gentoo ebuilds if you need.
> It makes the system very flexible, but most users don't need that.
>
> I am impressed!
>
> Regards,
> Juha

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Geoffray Levasseur
Le mercredi 23 mars 2011 13:50:31, Juha (gmail) a écrit :

> Hi
>
> This is not really Lazarus related but I found a Linux distro that works
> well without any tweaking and runs fast.
> I think it is OK to advertise an open source project when you see a good
> one.
>
> It is called Sabayon Linux. It has a good installer, too.
> It is based on Gentoo Linux which is rather a geek distro and very
> difficult to install. That's why the ease of installation and usage is
> surprising.
That's right I'm using the 64 bit version of Sabayon since September 2010 and
that's a really really good distro.

> Every web-page works without tweaking. Earlier I had to boot Windows for my
> school CCNA (Cisco Admin) course material with Java+Flash.
> Now even that works!
>
> Everything is faster than anything I have seen in Linux before. The reason
> must be the good and optimized Gentoo base. Even the Sabayon devels during
> chat didn't find other explanation for it.
Yes this is really fast. I tough the Gentoo base have something to do with
that as well as Sabayon developer's choice about optimization. Consequently
it's made for modern computers.

> Java apps that run from browser, like Runescape game, have speed equal or
> better than Windows.
> OpenGL apps and games all work super-fast.
> Earlier my son booted Windows to play Runescape (browser) or Sauerbraten
> (OpenGL) because they were slow on Linux. No need for that any more.
>
> Sabayon is basically a pre-compiled Gentoo.
> You can use Gentoo ebuilds if you need.
Yes but mixing precompiled binaries and ebuilds is not recommended by Sabayon
developers as the system may becomes unstable.

> It makes the system very flexible, but most users don't need that.
>
> I am impressed!
As me when I first installed it.

The only problem with Sabayon is the limited number of packages (but all the
usual things are here anyway). For some more rare packages it's easy to
compile as dev files are always included with all the libraries (due to Gentoo
heritage). That's why it's a very good distro for development.

--
Geoffray « fatalerrors » Levasseur
http://jeff.levasseur.tuxfamily.org

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Juha Manninen
2011/3/23, Torsten Bonde Christiansen <[hidden email]>:
> Which WM do you use with it?

No VM. It is my main distro now because the other main distros refused
to work in my exotic 3-core AMD64 machine. That is a longer story but
some feature in recent kernels halted my system. Only Sabayon did not
halt for some mysterious reason.

I have Windows with a boot loader entry but it is not used much.

> As far as i can tell from my local ftp download site, there are ISO's for:
> Gnome, Enlightenment, KDE, LXDE and XFCE

I use the KDE version.

> Happy linuxing,
> Torsten Bonde Christiansen.

Same to you, regards,

On 2011-03-23 16:20, Juha Manninen wrote:
> 2011/3/23, Torsten Bonde Christiansen<[hidden email]>:
>> Which WM do you use with it?
> No VM. It is my main distro now because the other main distros refused
> to work in my exotic 3-core AMD64 machine. That is a longer story but
> some feature in recent kernels halted my system. Only Sabayon did not
> halt for some mysterious reason.
>
> I have Windows with a boot loader entry but it is not used much.
Sorry for the confusion - WM = Window Manager, hence the reference to
Gnome, KDE, etc.

Your WM is KDE then... ;)

-Torsten.

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Reimar Grabowski
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:57:59 +0100
Torsten Bonde Christiansen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your WM is KDE then... ;)
Actually neither KDE nor Gnome nor Enlightenment are window managers. They are desktop environments which each come with their own WM. Compiz or Metacity for Gnome, KWin for KDE (if they did not change it in their newest version) and I don't know what the enlightenment one is called.

R.
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Geoffray Levasseur
Le mercredi 23 mars 2011 19:31:23, Reimar Grabowski a écrit :
> KWin for KDE (if they did not change it in their newest version)
Yes it's still KWin as the window manager. Plasma is the desktop manager. They
are both using compositing and OpenGL when available for desktop effect with
plug-in system and support for Edje (enlightment desktop widget), Google
Gadget and Superkaramba (the old desktop widget system from KDE 3). With
Sabayon KDE is very up-to-date (actually 4.6.1 which is the last stable).

About Lazarus, do you think that KDE Pascal bindings are possible (maybe using
Smoke, the abstraction bindings system from KDE)?

Geoffray « fatalerrors » Levasseur
http://jeff.levasseur.tuxfamily.org
GNU-PG public key: B0EC11B62617B11A582A7C4226573BFD878E334D
Sic luceat lux et pax.

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Juha Manninen
Torsten Bonde Christiansen kirjoitti keskiviikko, 23. maaliskuuta 2011
> Sorry for the confusion - WM = Window Manager, hence the reference to
> Gnome, KDE, etc.
>
> Your WM is KDE then... ;)

Yes, sorry.
I like KDE because of its better design which will be visible also for users
more and more.
The current 4.6.x is very good.

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Juha Manninen
Geoffray Levasseur kirjoitti keskiviikko, 23. maaliskuuta 2011 20:54:09:
> With Sabayon KDE is very up-to-date (actually 4.6.1 which is
> the last stable).

Still, Sabayon is not as on-the-edge as Gentoo. The packages are tested in
Gentoo repos for some time before they and up to Sabayon repos.

> About Lazarus, do you think that KDE Pascal bindings are possible (maybe
> using Smoke, the abstraction bindings system from KDE)?

I also have thought of automatic bindings generation.
Zeljan mentioned he has even made some code for such QT generator.
(Did I understand right?)
The same generator could bind for KDE.

Smoke is mainly meant for dynamic languages.
Reading the overview here:
 http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke
it seems to have lots of overhead, lookup tables for method names etc., which
is needed by dynamic languages.

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Juha Manninen
Geoffray Levasseur kirjoitti keskiviikko, 23. maaliskuuta 2011 15:52:55:
> The only problem with Sabayon is the limited number of packages (but all
> the usual things are here anyway). For some more rare packages it's easy
> to compile as dev files are always included with all the libraries (due to
> Gentoo heritage). That's why it's a very good distro for development.

Yes, I also figured that out when trying to search "-devel" packages.
There aren't any :)

The number of packages is not very limited IMO. I installed very much SW
already and only one prog (8051 simulator MCU8051IDE) I had to install using a
Gentoo ebuild (which didn't cause problems either).

Re: [Lazarus] Sabayon Linux

Michael Schnell
On 03/23/2011 07:31 PM, Reimar Grabowski wrote:
> Actually neither KDE nor Gnome nor Enlightenment are window managers. They are desktop environments
OK, far Offtopic, but no answer expected:

I just talked to a company manager, who used to be a technical developer
in his former life and with his statement that window will go away
withing four years he used Linux and Google as a synonym.

Funny new world ....

-Michael