[Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

[Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I've made available precompiled bundles of FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 for the Raspberry Pi. You can download this bundle at this location:

This Raspbian bundle is much larger than my previous bundle weighing in at 635MB compared to the previous version's 200MB. The increase in almost entirely size is due to the inclusion of more many FPC packages. If any of you feel that a reduced install size is more important, please let me know and I'll consider removing the same packages which were remove in the previous bundle.

Please note, if you are trying to run Lazarus 2.0 on Raspbian and want to rebuild the IDE you'll need at least a 512MB swap file size. Please see the Raspbian documentation on how to enable and manage your Raspbian swap file.

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Am 11.02.2019 um 15:12 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
> I've made available precompiled bundles of FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0
> for the Raspberry Pi.
Great, Antony. Thanx.
-- Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Am 11.02.2019 um 15:12 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
> I've made available precompiled bundles of FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0
> for the Raspberry Pi. You can download this bundle at this location:

Hi, Anthony,

several attempts failed to send you my bug report with screen shots.
Some bytes too large...
So here you get a copy of my report without screem shots, but with
stderr output of the script.

Regards --  Joe

Copy:

Hi, Anthony,

I installed a fresh Stretch (Nov 2018) on a new SD card and put it in a
Pi 3B+-. Selected 'German' and 'Germany'. Enabled VNC. Then I installed
Lazarus 1.6.2 via "Add/Remove software", started Lazarus and got the
known error message "The package editor macro script has detected a
problerm and was activated".

Copied your script in /home/pi, made it executable and started it.

I was asked to install libghx-x11-dev and did it. Started the script
again, accepted /home/pi/Development/FreePascal as default install
location.

Said 'y' to the shortcuts question. But then I got an error message from
line 206 of the script, and it finished.

Tried it again to get a screen shot with the error messages. It is
enclosed.

How to fix?

Thank you --  Joe

ErrorLog.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Why are you posting a screenshot image of the terminal output? Just paste the terminal output in here.

It looks like your download of the gzipped tar file isn't working. I am guessing you don't have Internet on your Pi? Well you need it to run the install script. Otherwise it is likely a problem with AWS S3 not having a replicated instance of the my files in your region.

Try the following command:

That should download the the binary bundle from Amazon's servers. Please verify that it downloads the file fpc.lazarus.raspberry.tar.gz. If the download works:

tar xvf fpc.lazarus.raspberry.tar.gz

And you it should extract both a fpc and lazarus folder. Let me know what this does for you.

Am 11.02.2019 um 19:16 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
> Let me know what this does for you.

Yes, the two folders are created. Thank you. What is the next step?

Regards --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Joe,

I am pretty sure the problem is that the setup script you downloaded was the old version. I use cloud distribution on Amazon and it wakes a while to replicate files to your area. As a result you received an old copy referencing deleted files. Delete the setup script, download it again, and re-run.

Am 11.02.2019 um 20:45 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
> Delete the setup script, download it again, and re-run.

Anthony,

the two versions are the same, says winmerge.

In the mean time, I reinstalled Raspian again, but this time I did not
activate Lazarus 1.6.2.
Instead I did 'tar xvf fpc.lazarus.raspberry.tar.gz' and now there are
the two new directories fpc and lazarus.

What is the next step?

Rewgards --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Joe, you should delete setup.sh, download it again:

Here is the location of the Rasberry Pi setup script:

https://www.getlazarus.org/download/?platform=raspberry

chmod + x setup.sh && ./setup.sh

After that follow the instructions in the terminal. When the script completes you will have a menu entry in Raspbian under Programming titled Lazarus 2.0. Use that shortcut to launch Lazarus. Alternately you can navigate to the install location and in the lazarus folder run lazarus.sh to start Lazarus 2.0 to with the properly configured environment.

You should see the Lazarus splash screen with version 2.0 emboldened at the bottom.

Am 12.02.2019 um 00:51 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
Joe, you should delete setup.sh, download it again:

Here is the location of the Rasberry Pi setup script:

https://www.getlazarus.org/download/?platform=raspberry

chmod + x setup.sh && ./setup.sh

After that follow the instructions in the terminal. When the script completes you will have a menu entry in Raspbian under Programming titled Lazarus 2.0. Use that shortcut to launch Lazarus. Alternately you can navigate to the install location and in the lazarus folder run lazarus.sh to start Lazarus 2.0 to with the properly configured environment.

You should see the Lazarus splash screen with version 2.0 emboldened at the bottom.

Anthony,

on executing this setup.sh I just got the same error messages:. Among them:

tar: Das sieht nicht wie ein "tar"-Archiv aus
gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
./setup.sh: Zeile 206: /home/pi/Development/FreePascal/fpc/bin/fpcmkcfg: Datei nicht gefunden
and much more.

Nevertherless  setup.sh finishes with message "Your Free Pascal 3.0 with Lazarus is now installed".

Translation: 'Das sieht nicht wie ein "tar"-Archiv aus' -> Doesn't look like a "tar" archive
                     'Datei nicht gefunden -> Filre not found

Now I am preparing another sd card with Raspian Stretch again, but do not switch to German and try this setup.sh again.

Regards --  Joe

Am 12.02.2019 um 10:44 schrieb Joe via lazarus:
[...]

in English-UK settings, I see the same behaviour of the script. Now it says 'this does not look like an tar arc hive'.

Regards --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Am 12.02.2019 um 00:51 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
Joe, you should delete setup.sh, download it again:

Here is the location of the Rasberry Pi setup script:

https://www.getlazarus.org/download/?platform=raspberry

chmod + x setup.sh && ./setup.sh

After that follow the instructions in the terminal. When the script completes you will have a menu entry in Raspbian under Programming titled Lazarus 2.0. Use that shortcut to launch Lazarus. Alternately you can navigate to the install location and in the lazarus folder run lazarus.sh to start Lazarus 2.0 to with the properly configured environment.

You should see the Lazarus splash screen with version 2.0 emboldened at the bottom.

Anthony, eventually  i increased the swap file size from 100 to 1000 MB, and now your script succeeded.
Thanx --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 00:39:14 +0100, Joe via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 12.02.2019 um 00:51 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
>> Joe, you should delete setup.sh, download it again:
>>
>> Here is the location of the Rasberry Pi setup script:
>>
>> https://www.getlazarus.org/download/?platform=raspberry
>>
>> chmod + x setup.sh && ./setup.sh
>>
>> After that follow the instructions in the terminal. When the script
>> completes you will have a menu entry in Raspbian under Programming
>> titled Lazarus 2.0. Use that shortcut to launch Lazarus. Alternately
>> you can navigate to the install location and in the lazarus folder run
>> lazarus.sh to start Lazarus 2.0 to with the properly configured
>> environment.
>>
>> You should see the Lazarus splash screen with version 2.0 emboldened
>> at the bottom.
>>

>Anthony, eventually  i increased the swap file size from 100 to 1000 MB,
>and now your script succeeded.
>Thanx --  Joe

I just added the following to the top of my own FPC/Lazarus install
scipt:

# Check swap space since building Lazarus uses lots of resources and
swap. Need 1 GB swap.
SWAPSPACE=$(free | grep Swap | grep  -P -o "[0-9]+" | head -1)
if [ "$SWAPSPACE" -lt 1000000 ]; then
  echo "Swap space $SWAPSPACE too small! You must set 1 GB swap!"
  exit 1
fi
echo "Swap space $SWAPSPACE OK!"

Am 18.02.2019 um 08:44 schrieb Bo Berglund via lazarus:
> I just added the following to the top of my own FPC/Lazarus install
> scipt: Check swap space

Excellent idea. Where can I get it this new version? Have to update to
Lazarus 2 some some more Pi-3s.

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
You can put it at the top after #!/bin/bash

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

On Mon, 18 Feb 2019 11:52:20 +0100, Joe via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 18.02.2019 um 08:44 schrieb Bo Berglund via lazarus:
>> I just added the following to the top of my own FPC/Lazarus install
>> scipt: Check swap space
>
>Excellent idea. Where can I get it this new version? Have to update to
>Lazarus 2 some some more Pi-3s.

Do you mean my own installation script or Anthony Walter's?
Mine works strictly from sources via svn.
I think Anthony's include compiled binaries and his files are hosted
elsewhere than at https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/ .
I use that server for both fpc and lazarus (but I do have a compiled
binary as seed compiler for ARM hosted on my own site but all else
comes from svn.

Am 18.02.2019 um 18:58 schrieb Bo Berglund via lazarus:
> Do you mean my own installation script or Anthony Walter's?

Bo, in the mean time Anthony's script and fpupdeluxe work well. For
comparison purposes, I would be glad I could test your script as well.

--  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
My script uses prebuilt binaries for the Raspberry Pi to save network bandwidth time, compile speed, sd card space, and swap space. It downloads gzipped files, extracts the, sets up configuration files, and created desktop files to launch either an FPC terminal or Lazarus 2.0 both referencing the correct folders and variables. The process to build the compiler yourself results in approximately the same thing, but hopefully my methodology reduces possible problems during installation.

The snippet Bo supplied could work with any setup script, and 512MB or more of swap is needed to build Lazarus 2.0 on Raspberry.

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

http://blog.boberglund.com/install_lazfpc_local_pi_blog.sh

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Bo,

You should probably put a shebang at the top of your script.

Re: [Lazarus] Raspbian FPC 3.3.1 and Lazarus 2.0 Available

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 09:14:23 -0500, Anthony Walter via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Bo,
>
>You should probably put a shebang at the top of your script.

Sorry, I don't understand. What is a "shebang"?