[Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
This isn't a free pascal or lazarus project, but something I wrote using typescript quite a while ago. 


I thought you guys might want to look at and digest it for the following reasons. Obviously it's an application, but one which mimics a desktop program. It reads/write files, uses dialogs, has keyboard shortcuts/navigation, and presents an interactive list view like set of data. In short a lot of the same things you might have when or if you had written a desktop app, the main difference being you need not install the app, rather you use any modern browser and visit a web page. As such maybe you lazarus developers might benefit by taking a step back and looking at something other if only for a brief moment.

If the above app stirs any questions/discussions, I'd be more than happy to share. Yes I still love free pascal and lazarus and have a cool project in the works using it.

Thanks

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list


On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:

> This isn't a free pascal or lazarus project, but something I wrote using
> typescript quite a while ago.
>
> http://cache.getlazarus.org/videos/cloud-files.mp4

Soon, you'll be able to write this app in Free Pascal.

Michael.
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

El 19/04/17 a las 11:14, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus escribió:

>
>
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2017, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:
>
>> This isn't a free pascal or lazarus project, but something I wrote using
>> typescript quite a while ago.
>>
>> http://cache.getlazarus.org/videos/cloud-files.mp4
>
> Soon, you'll be able to write this app in Free Pascal.
>

How? what's cooking?.

--
Leonardo M. Ramé
Medical IT - Griensu S.A.
Av. Colón 636 - Piso 8 Of. A
X5000EPT -- Córdoba
Tel.: +54(351)4246924 +54(351)4247788 +54(351)4247979 int. 19
Cel.: +54 9 (011) 40871877
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 2017-04-19 14:54, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:
> This isn't a free pascal or lazarus project, but something I wrote using
> typescript quite a while ago.

That's very impressive. I'm still amazed at what is actually possible
via a web browser - other than just viewing web pages. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
  Graeme

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 19.04.2017 16:31, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> That's very impressive. I'm still amazed at what is actually possible
> via a web browser - other than just viewing web pages. Thanks for sharing.
>
In fact my little QNAP NAS (an ARM Linux Box) features a GUI vi Browser
that is very similar to a Gui that would have been designed by using the
Lazarus IDE.

AFAIK, they transfer a lot of Java Script from the server to the bowser
to have the appropriate widgets created there.

So this seems rather standard since some years. It would be great if
Lazarus would b able to seamlessly create such programs (even more up to
date, versatile and fast: using WebAssembly compiled from Pascal instead
of hand crafted Java Script).

-Michael
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Thank you all for the feedback and discussion. From me, the implementer and designer, I can say the most difficult part of creating this project, and in most projects, is not the actual programming. It's the creation of the user interface design. Choosing and creating a layout, and deciding on css values. That by far took more time than the actual code, and I'm sure that part could be vastly improved.

The sad thing is with more design capability (html/css/images) the harder it is to create a final stylized application.

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 2017-04-19 15:58, Michael Schnell via Lazarus wrote:
> Lazarus would b able to seamlessly create such programs (even more up to
> date, versatile and fast: using WebAssembly compiled from Pascal instead
> of hand crafted Java Script).


I believe that is what Michael van Canneyt is working on.

Regards,
  Graeme

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Here are the typescript files:


I'll add the C# file backend after I remove my salt and private keys, and denote to other people that they need to add their own salt and private keys.

For the curious, here is what the file with main() looks like:


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 19/04/2017 a las 17:09, Anthony Walter via Lazarus escribió:
> Thank you all for the feedback and discussion. From me, the
> implementer and designer, I can say the most difficult part of
> creating this project, and in most projects, is not the actual
> programming. It's the creation of the user interface design. Choosing
> and creating a layout, and deciding on css values. That by far took
> more time than the actual code, and I'm sure that part could be vastly
> improved.
Of course, GUIs are massive time consuming. Have you ever create a form
by hand in runtime?

That is what RAD and GUI designers were created for ;-)

I'm afraid that the world is still waiting for a good GUI designer for web.

--
Saludos

Santiago A.
[hidden email]

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list


On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Santiago A. via Lazarus wrote:

> El 19/04/2017 a las 17:09, Anthony Walter via Lazarus escribió:
>> Thank you all for the feedback and discussion. From me, the
>> implementer and designer, I can say the most difficult part of
>> creating this project, and in most projects, is not the actual
>> programming. It's the creation of the user interface design. Choosing
>> and creating a layout, and deciding on css values. That by far took
>> more time than the actual code, and I'm sure that part could be vastly
>> improved.
> Of course, GUIs are massive time consuming. Have you ever create a form
> by hand in runtime?
>
> That is what RAD and GUI designers were created for ;-)
>
> I'm afraid that the world is still waiting for a good GUI designer for web.
We will deliver it :)

Michael.
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 2017-04-20 08:54, Santiago A. via Lazarus wrote:
> Of course, GUIs are massive time consuming. Have you ever create a form
> by hand in runtime?

Yes, many times. If you want to see the real ease of that (without
needing a GUI Designer), then take a look at Java's MiGLayout layout
engine. Absolutely brilliant, dynamic, requires little code, supports
multiple size types (pixel, cm, mm, inches etc), knows the button order
between OSX, Windows, and even supports a "debug overlay" to help you
resolve layouting problems.

  http://miglayout.com/

This blogs shows a nice comparison of MiGLayout vs other Java layout
options. Noticably you can see MiGLayout requires much less code and has
many more features.


https://objectcomputing.com/resources/publications/sett/may-2009-miglayout-the-one-java-layout-manager-that-does-it-all/


Regards,
  Graeme

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 19.04.2017 17:21, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> I believe that is what Michael van Canneyt is working on.

It seems like, which to me is great news !

Of course we would need first a Pascal->WebAssembly compiler and then a
new WidgetType in Lazarus. Same maybe could be derived from
"CustomDrawn", as this also uses Pascal Code to generate the (more
complex) widgets. Such code would be translated to WebAssembly and at
runtime be transferred to and then executed in the Browser in high speed.

-Michael
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 20.04.2017 09:54, Santiago A. via Lazarus wrote:

> That is what RAD and GUI designers were created for ;-)
Obviously it's not easy to do a (compatible) GUI designer for a
Browser-(remote)-GUI. Otherwise I suppose Lazarus would have it.

With WebAssembly, maybe there is a new chance...

-Michael
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On 20.04.2017 11:11, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:
> Yes, many times.

There obviously are lots of alternate GUI design tools (e.g. mse,
FireMonkey, WXPython (Poenix), ...) . But for Lazarus users, it of
course would be beneficial to be able to use the GUI designer already
perfectly working in the IDE.

-Michael

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Santiago A. via Lazarus wrote:

El 19/04/2017 a las 17:09, Anthony Walter via Lazarus escribió:
Thank you all for the feedback and discussion. From me, the
implementer and designer, I can say the most difficult part of
creating this project, and in most projects, is not the actual
programming. It's the creation of the user interface design. Choosing
and creating a layout, and deciding on css values. That by far took
more time than the actual code, and I'm sure that part could be vastly
improved.
Of course, GUIs are massive time consuming. Have you ever create a form
by hand in runtime?

That is what RAD and GUI designers were created for ;-)

I'm afraid that the world is still waiting for a good GUI designer for web.

We will deliver it :)

Can you share with us when?  :)


Marcos Douglas

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Applicationx

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list


On Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Santiago A. via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> El 19/04/2017 a las 17:09, Anthony Walter via Lazarus escribió:
>>>
>>>> Thank you all for the feedback and discussion. From me, the
>>>> implementer and designer, I can say the most difficult part of
>>>> creating this project, and in most projects, is not the actual
>>>> programming. It's the creation of the user interface design. Choosing
>>>> and creating a layout, and deciding on css values. That by far took
>>>> more time than the actual code, and I'm sure that part could be vastly
>>>> improved.
>>>>
>>> Of course, GUIs are massive time consuming. Have you ever create a form
>>> by hand in runtime?
>>>
>>> That is what RAD and GUI designers were created for ;-)
>>>
>>> I'm afraid that the world is still waiting for a good GUI designer for
>>> web.
>>>
>>
>> We will deliver it :)
>
>
> Can you share with us when?  :)
Current tentative schedule is september.
But no guarantees. It doesn't depend only on me :)

But today an important milestone (for me) was reached, so there is hope :)

Michael.
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Applicationx

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, Apr 30, 2017 at 4:42 PM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:


On Sun, 30 Apr 2017, Marcos Douglas B. Santos via Lazarus wrote:

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 6:03 AM, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <
[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Santiago A. via Lazarus wrote:

El 19/04/2017 a las 17:09, Anthony Walter via Lazarus escribió:

Thank you all for the feedback and discussion. From me, the
implementer and designer, I can say the most difficult part of
creating this project, and in most projects, is not the actual
programming. It's the creation of the user interface design. Choosing
and creating a layout, and deciding on css values. That by far took
more time than the actual code, and I'm sure that part could be vastly
improved.

Of course, GUIs are massive time consuming. Have you ever create a form
by hand in runtime?

That is what RAD and GUI designers were created for ;-)

I'm afraid that the world is still waiting for a good GUI designer for
web.


We will deliver it :)


Can you share with us when?  :)

Current tentative schedule is september. But no guarantees. It doesn't depend only on me :)

But today an important milestone (for me) was reached, so there is hope :)

Ok Michael, stay focused, stay focused... :)


Marcos Douglas

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Sorry, didn't watch the video yet, but, wasn't Morfik something similar?
Or that was mostly offline apps?

Then there was also the intraweb for delphi, but AFAIR the Indy authors.
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Lazarus] Quick Video: A Web Application

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
In reply to this post by Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 2017-04-19 10:21, Graeme Geldenhuys via Lazarus wrote:

> On 2017-04-19 15:58, Michael Schnell via Lazarus wrote:
>> Lazarus would b able to seamlessly create such programs (even more up
>> to
>> date, versatile and fast: using WebAssembly compiled from Pascal
>> instead
>> of hand crafted Java Script).
>
>
> I believe that is what Michael van Canneyt is working on.
>

I am also working on something like this for chromium embedded Offline
Apps (with callbacks that can call native fpc code using html5/js
widgets as the GUI), but, as I have many programs on the go, and many
ideas, and not sure if it will be open source... I don't want to blow
the whistle early. FastCGI would be a good mechanism for events, since
it keeps a exe/elf open all the time rather than forking a new one for
each event. But fastcgi doesn't run on that many servers.
--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus
Loading...