[Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

[Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

brian
Hi all,

I downloaded and installed the AMD 64 DEBs from Sourceforge, cleaned
off my 0.9.28 setup onto DVD and then installed v0.9.30 from scratch.
The process has been a bit fraught. :( This is all using Linux Mint 9,
which is a fork from Ubuntu.

The first problem was that installing the DEBs gives a couple of
unresolved dependencies, basically the QT4 stuff. Don't use QT4, so I
can ignore that, Lazarus still started up OK after a apt-get -f, so no
worries there.

Next thing missing was one package, pack_powerpdf or something like
that, but I knew I'd seen that in the CCR, so no problems, download
and install that. Then there were a few file and directory permissions
to be changed.

Now the problem which has got me stuck - trying to rebuild Lazarus
from within the IDE, I get an error

/usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.30/ide/idecmdline.pas(1,1) Fatal: Can't find unit
exploreidemenu used by Lazarus

This is NOT some kind of mangled path problem - I used Dolphin to do a
*case-insensitive* search of my *entire* file system for exploreidemenu.*

No files were found.

So, my question - I did, yes **I DID**, install all the .DEBs within
those two files on Sourceforge, including both the FPC and the Lazarus
sources. I don't want to end up with an incompatible set of sources,
and I've not enough experience with Lazarus to want to work through
building everything from an SVN download. Does anyone know if/where I
can get a set of the sources used to build the release of Lazarus
that's available on Sourceforge, so that I can try to fix the problem
myself?

Thanks,

Brian.

Re: [Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

Mattias Gaertner

brian <[hidden email]> hat am 5. April 2011 um 11:11 geschrieben:

> Hi all,
>
> I downloaded and installed the AMD 64 DEBs from Sourceforge, cleaned
> off my 0.9.28 setup onto DVD and then installed v0.9.30 from scratch.
> The process has been a bit fraught. :( This is all using Linux Mint 9,
> which is a fork from Ubuntu.
>
> The first problem was that installing the DEBs gives a couple of
> unresolved dependencies, basically the QT4 stuff. Don't use QT4, so I
> can ignore that, Lazarus still started up OK after a apt-get -f, so no
> worries there.

Perhaps you tried to install the

lcl-qt4-0.9.30_0.9.30-0_i386.deb

?

> Next thing missing was one package, pack_powerpdf or something like
> that, but I knew I'd seen that in the CCR, so no problems, download
> and install that. Then there were a few file and directory permissions
> to be changed.

Can you give some more details?

Maybe this can be added to the installation hints.

> Now the problem which has got me stuck - trying to rebuild Lazarus
> from within the IDE, I get an error
>
> /usr/lib/lazarus/0.9.30/ide/idecmdline.pas(1,1) Fatal: Can't find unit
> exploreidemenu used by Lazarus

The unit Exploreidemenu is an example package (examples/exploremenu). It is not installed by default. Problably you had it installed in a former version and the IDE tried to restore your old set of packages.

The debian package maintainer has set all packages (lpk files) to compile "manually", even those that the debian packages not provided in compiled form (ppu files).

Either uninstall the package exploreidemenu or open the package and compile it manually.

> This is NOT some kind of mangled path problem - I used Dolphin to do a
> *case-insensitive* search of my *entire* file system for exploreidemenu.*
>
> No files were found.
>
> So, my question - I did, yes **I DID**, install all the .DEBs within
> those two files on Sourceforge, including both the FPC and the Lazarus
> sources. I don't want to end up with an incompatible set of sources,
> and I've not enough experience with Lazarus to want to work through
> building everything from an SVN download. Does anyone know if/where I
> can get a set of the sources used to build the release of Lazarus
> that's available on Sourceforge, so that I can try to fix the problem
> myself?

On Sourceforge are debs, rpms and zip. The zip contains only the sources.

Re: [Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

brian
Hi Mattias,

On 04/05/2011 06:48 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> brian <[hidden email]> hat am 5. April 2011 um 11:11 geschrieben:
>
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > I downloaded and installed the AMD 64 DEBs from Sourceforge, cleaned
>  > off my 0.9.28 setup onto DVD and then installed v0.9.30 from scratch.
>  > The process has been a bit fraught. :( This is all using Linux Mint 9,
>  > which is a fork from Ubuntu.
>  >
>  > The first problem was that installing the DEBs gives a couple of
>  > unresolved dependencies, basically the QT4 stuff. Don't use QT4, so I
>  > can ignore that, Lazarus still started up OK after a apt-get -f, so no
>  > worries there.
>
> Perhaps you tried to install the
>
> lcl-qt4-0.9.30_0.9.30-0_i386.deb
>
> ?

Unquestionably. As you know, the files on SourceForge unpack to 19
.debs (FreePascal) and 13 .debs (Lazarus) with no indication as to
whether there's any particular order in which to install them. I just
took the unsubtle approach, unpacked each into their own subdirectory
and then ran a couple of "sudo dpkg -i *.deb", first on the FreePascal
directory and then on the Lazarus directory, figuring that if there
was any sensitivity as to the installation order, the second pass
would probably fix it.

>  > Next thing missing was one package, pack_powerpdf or something like
>  > that, but I knew I'd seen that in the CCR, so no problems, download
>  > and install that. Then there were a few file and directory permissions
>  > to be changed.
>
> Can you give some more details?
>
> Maybe this can be added to the installation hints.

I'm afraid I didn't keep a note of them. I do remember that there was
an x86_64-linux somewhere in the path, but that won't come as too much
of a surprise to you. :) Since I'm the only user of this PC, I just
said the hell with it, did a recursive chown on
/usr/lib/lazarus  and had no further problems.

> The unit Exploreidemenu is an example package (examples/exploremenu).
> It is not installed by default. Problably you had it installed in a
> former version and the IDE tried to restore your old set of packages.

It's hard for me to prove a negative, but I really did take pains to
remove the old version - I did an "apt-get purge" on both fpc and
lazarus, and then did a search on both and removed anything else I
could find.

> The debian package maintainer has set all packages (lpk files) to
> compile "manually", even those that the debian packages not provided
> in compiled form (ppu files).
>
> Either uninstall the package exploreidemenu or open the package and
> compile it manually.

I will give that a try, thanks.

> On Sourceforge are debs, rpms and zip. The zip contains only the sources.

Ah. I'd missed the zip file. Thanks for the pointer.

Brian.

Re: [Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

Mattias Gaertner

brian <[hidden email]> hat am 5. April 2011 um 14:54 geschrieben:

>[...]
> > Perhaps you tried to install the
> >
> > lcl-qt4-0.9.30_0.9.30-0_i386.deb
> >
> > ?
> >

> Unquestionably. As you know, the files on SourceForge unpack to 19
> .debs (FreePascal) and 13 .debs (Lazarus) with no indication as to
> whether there's any particular order in which to install them. I just
> took the unsubtle approach, unpacked each into their own subdirectory
> and then ran a couple of "sudo dpkg -i *.deb", first on the FreePascal
> directory and then on the Lazarus directory, figuring that if there
> was any sensitivity as to the installation order, the second pass
> would probably fix it.

The dpkg is clever enough to order the packages automatically.

Unfortunately the debian packages are made for repositories, which is somewhat awkward for downloaders.

OTOH if you use repositories the debian packages are really great.

>[...]
> > The unit Exploreidemenu is an example package (examples/exploremenu).
> > It is not installed by default. Problably you had it installed in a
> > former version and the IDE tried to restore your old set of packages.
> >

> It's hard for me to prove a negative, but I really did take pains to
> remove the old version - I did an "apt-get purge" on both fpc and
> lazarus, and then did a search on both and removed anything else I
> could find.

The old lazarus stored your user configs in ~/.lazarus. There is also the list of your installed packages. This list is applied when you rebuild the IDE.

Eventually there should be a check and a dialog to help migrating old package sets. Although I'm not sure how this should work.

On 04/05/2011 09:20 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:

> brian <[hidden email]> hat am 5. April 2011 um 14:54 geschrieben:
>
>  <...>
>
> The dpkg is clever enough to order the packages automatically.
>
> Unfortunately the debian packages are made for repositories, which is
> somewhat awkward for downloaders.
>
> OTOH if you use repositories the debian packages are really great.

The repositories configured for Mint are still offering 0.9.28-2.

> The old lazarus stored your user configs in ~/.lazarus. There is also
> the list of your installed packages. This list is applied when you
> rebuild the IDE.

I just checked the timestamps in that directory, and of course you're
correct. Obviously apt-get's attempt to purge the configuration files
from the previous installation was a bit short of comprehensive. I
should have thought of a hidden directory and checked... :(

> Eventually there should be a check and a dialog to help migrating old
> package sets. Although I'm not sure how this should work.

The one thing I did note is that I had the 'build lazarus'
configuration set to NOT do anything with the examples.

Brian.

Re: [Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

Flávio Etrusco
On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 9:54 AM, brian <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mattias,
>
> On 04/05/2011 06:48 AM, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>>
>> brian <[hidden email]> hat am 5. April 2011 um 11:11 geschrieben:
>>
>>  > Hi all,
>>  >
>>  > I downloaded and installed the AMD 64 DEBs from Sourceforge, cleaned
>>  > off my 0.9.28 setup onto DVD and then installed v0.9.30 from scratch.
>>  > The process has been a bit fraught. :( This is all using Linux Mint 9,
>>  > which is a fork from Ubuntu.
>>  >
>>  > The first problem was that installing the DEBs gives a couple of
>>  > unresolved dependencies, basically the QT4 stuff. Don't use QT4, so I
>>  > can ignore that, Lazarus still started up OK after a apt-get -f, so no
>>  > worries there.
>>
>> Perhaps you tried to install the
>>
>> lcl-qt4-0.9.30_0.9.30-0_i386.deb
>>
>> ?
>>

> Unquestionably. As you know, the files on SourceForge unpack to 19 .debs
> (FreePascal) and 13 .debs (Lazarus) with no indication as to whether there's
> any particular order in which to install them. I just took the unsubtle
> approach, unpacked each into their own subdirectory and then ran a couple of
> "sudo dpkg -i *.deb", first on the FreePascal directory and then on the
> Lazarus directory, figuring that if there was any sensitivity as to the
> installation order, the second pass would probably fix it.

You could use the lazarus repository for debian/ubuntu:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_version_for_Ubuntu

-Flávio

Re: [Lazarus] Problems with the v0.9.30 AMD 64 DEBs on Sourceforge

brian
On 04/07/2011 01:31 PM, Flávio Etrusco wrote:

<...>

> You could use the lazarus repository for debian/ubuntu:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_release_version_for_Ubuntu

At the point at which I started trying to do the installation, the
repositories were still offering 0.9.28-2

Brian.