[Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

[Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I think this tool should be added to the lazarus components folder. I've been trying to fix issues with the sparta docked form designer and fell back to debugging/testing using a tool I wrote some time ago. It has helped me understand the structure of the sparta designer a lot. It's helpful in many other areas as well.

Here is a brief video with a property grid newly added:

And here is the original page for this tool with a better overview:

I've updated the tool and moved the sources to gthub. This tool is stable on all platforms and it's useful enough that I think it should be in included in the lazarus components folder. The source code is small.

Request filed under #32191

Re: [Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Anthony Walter via Lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think this tool should be added to the lazarus components folder. I've
> been trying to fix issues with the sparta docked form designer and fell back
> to debugging/testing using a tool I wrote some time ago. It has helped me
> understand the structure of the sparta designer a lot. It's helpful in many
> other areas as well.
>
> Here is a brief video with a property grid newly added:
>
> https://video.getlazarus.org/appexploregrid.mp4
>
> And here is the original page for this tool with a better overview:
>
> https://www.getlazarus.org/apps/appexplore/

Very interesting!
Thanks for share.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas

On 24.07.2017 0:08, Anthony Walter via Lazarus wrote:
> I think this tool should be added to the lazarus components folder.

Actually we are going the other way - decentralize components and
packages. Such a tool should be added to the online package manager.
Please contact Balasz (if he missed this messages).

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Ondrej,

Okay will do. This tool actually helped me fix the sparta docked form designer yesterday and I submitted a patch.

Also, the online package manager ought to be integrated into lazarus, such that you can browse and install packages from within the IDE. and if that's the case maybe we could have a lazarus "what's new" page added to the IDE, kind of like visual studio, that notifies users about what's new/hot so that users might find new or interesting packages that would otherwise go unnoticed.

Re: [Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 11:47:51 -0400
Anthony Walter via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ondrej,
>
> Okay will do. This tool actually helped me fix the sparta docked form
> designer yesterday and I submitted a patch.
>
> Also, the online package manager ought to be integrated into lazarus, such
> that you can browse and install packages from within the IDE. and if that's
> the case maybe we could have a lazarus "what's new" page added to the IDE,
> kind of like visual studio, that notifies users about what's new/hot so
> that users might find new or interesting packages that would otherwise go
> unnoticed.

A package for that would be welcome.

Re: [Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

The tool may be merged into current tool "Edit context help" (Ctrl + Shift + F1). "Edit context help" somehow has similar functionality for exploring "how IDE is constructed". We can add "Application explorer" to "Help" menu to invoke "Edit context help" with new functionalities.

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak

On 25/07/2017 13:02, Maciej Izak via Lazarus wrote:

The tool may be merged into current tool "Edit context help" (Ctrl + Shift + F1). "Edit context help" somehow has similar functionality for exploring "how IDE is constructed". We can add "Application explorer" to "Help" menu to invoke "Edit context help" with new functionalities.
And replace/remove the ide inspector (view > ide internals)

Re: [Lazarus] Please consider adding Application Explorer to lazarus components folder

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Ah, I didn't know about "Edit context help".

Here are a few things to of note.

Application explorer is not directly tied to the Lazarus IDE. Meaning it can be deployed with applications written with Lazarus:

Also beyond the context help editor you can search for items, highlight them (by pressing the space bar), and view/edit properties and other diagnostic information (inheritance, componentstate ect).

Maybe these features can be combined? Something to consider.