[Lazarus] PascalScript

Juha Manninen
Hi

How to get PascalScript for Lazarus on Linux?

I have read this:
 http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_Script
but didn't manage to get it.
Didn't find it in CCR.
REMObjects offers a Windows .exe or .NET version.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Juha Manninen
Juha (gmail) kirjoitti lauantai, 26. maaliskuuta 2011 14:20:17:
> How to get PascalScript for Lazarus on Linux?
>
> I have read this:
>  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_Script
> but didn't manage to get it.
> Didn't find it in CCR.
> REMObjects offers a Windows .exe or .NET version.

Does it really mean there is no PascalScript for Lazarus?
It used to be in CCR if I understand right.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

michael.vancanneyt

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011, Juha (gmail) wrote:

> Juha (gmail) kirjoitti lauantai, 26. maaliskuuta 2011 14:20:17:
>> How to get PascalScript for Lazarus on Linux?
>>
>> I have read this:
>>  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_Script
>> but didn't manage to get it.
>> Didn't find it in CCR.
>> REMObjects offers a Windows .exe or .NET version.
>
> Does it really mean there is no PascalScript for Lazarus?

As far as I know:
You can just use the sources. they simply don't provide a source file.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho
Googling I found this link:

http://ko.sourceforge.jp/projects/sfnet_lazarus-ccr/downloads/Code%20and%20Component%20Packages/Pascal%20Script%203.0.3.54/pascalscript-3.0.3.54.zip/

It will open a korean page and then automatically start the download....

If I remember well, at some point there was some change in source
forge and old folders got removed, so they had to be reinserted, or
something like that ... likely pascalscript would need to be readded
to be visible in the lazarus-ccr sourceforge download

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Eugen Bolz
Hey,

you could try ScriptEngineII, it is far more powerful than PascalScript. ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/scriptengine2/
http://www.delphipraxis.net/140590-scriptengine-ii-v-0-6-a.html (german
delphi-forum)

Best Regards
Eugen

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Juha Manninen
Eugen Bolz kirjoitti tiistai, 29. maaliskuuta 2011 18:48:20:
> you could try ScriptEngineII, it is far more powerful than PascalScript. ;)
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/scriptengine2/
> http://www.delphipraxis.net/140590-scriptengine-ii-v-0-6-a.html (german
> delphi-forum)

I tried to compile this Scriptengine2 but it also has x86 assembly.
What is going on? It should be very possible to create a script engine without
assembly but both PascalScript and Scriptengine2 use it.

I am not planning to use scripting in my own programs but I try to figure out
how much work is porting a 3-D program called DeleD for Lazarus.
 http://www.delgine.com/

It has some libraries included in its source tree which are already ported to
Lazarus, and I planned to just replace them.
PascalScript is one of those libraries.
Assembly code also in the ported version of PascalScript is a setback now.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

leledumbo
Administrator
Download RemObjects version (sourceforge version is obsolete IMO), FPC is officially supported by them. Then you just use the provided .lpk and compile. There's no .exe given, except for unit importer (which strangely has no source code given) since PascalScript is written to be used as units, not standalone program.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Marco van de Voort
On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:08:14AM -0300, [hidden email] wrote:
> And this version works on Windows and Linux, 32 and 64 bits. Maybe I'm
> wrong, but the version of the PascalScript on Lazarus CCR don't work with 64
> bits systems and the scriptengine2 don't work with linux. So, if you want
> run your application on a variety of systems, use the RemObjects version of
> the PascalScript.

Probably you are right. IIRC Carlo did the 64-bit stuff last august.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Juha Manninen
Thanks!

In fact I didn't find the sources earlier from RemObjects page.
Now I found them and updated the wiki page accordingly.
 http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_Script

PascalScript installed nicely now. The cross-platform porting has received
lots of work. It has assembly code written for x86, x64 and ARM.
That means it is still not completely cross-platform. FPC supports more
processors than those 3.
I still don't understand why such program needs assembly at all.
It is a script language engine, not an OS kernel!

[hidden email] kirjoitti keskiviikko, 30. maaliskuuta 2011 06:08:14:

> And this version works on Windows and Linux, 32 and 64 bits. Maybe I'm
> wrong, but the version of the PascalScript on Lazarus CCR don't work with
> 64 bits systems and the scriptengine2 don't work with linux. So, if you
> want run your application on a variety of systems, use the RemObjects
> version of the PascalScript.
>
> Regards,
> Fabio
>
> 2011/3/29 leledumbo <[hidden email]>
>
> > Download RemObjects version (sourceforge version is obsolete IMO), FPC is
> > officially supported by them. Then you just use the provided .lpk and
> > compile. There's no .exe given, except for unit importer (which strangely
> > has no source code given) since PascalScript is written to be used as
> > units,
> > not standalone program.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

michael.vancanneyt

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Juha (gmail) wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> In fact I didn't find the sources earlier from RemObjects page.
> Now I found them and updated the wiki page accordingly.
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Pascal_Script
>
> PascalScript installed nicely now. The cross-platform porting has received
> lots of work. It has assembly code written for x86, x64 and ARM.
> That means it is still not completely cross-platform. FPC supports more
> processors than those 3.
> I still don't understand why such program needs assembly at all.
> It is a script language engine, not an OS kernel!

It is needed to call native functions from within the scripting language.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Juha Manninen
[hidden email] kirjoitti keskiviikko, 30. maaliskuuta 2011
14:04:20:
> It is needed to call native functions from within the scripting language.

Ok, it can do more than I first thought. I must learn more of this.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Michael Schnell
On 03/30/2011 12:59 PM, Juha (gmail) wrote:
> I still don't understand why such program needs assembly at all.
This will just a few lines as wrappers for calling binary functions. I
suppose it should be not much work to enhance the code for additional
targets for someone who in fact needs it and does have the hardware.

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Juha Manninen
Juha (gmail) kirjoitti keskiviikko, 30. maaliskuuta 2011 13:59:26:
> It has assembly code written for x86, x64 and ARM.
> That means it is still not completely cross-platform. FPC supports more
> processors than those 3.

Actually it supports also PowerPC. That makes 4 processors. Still better.

Re: [Lazarus] PascalScript

Henry Vermaak
On 30/03/11 12:44, Juha (gmail) wrote:
> Juha (gmail) kirjoitti keskiviikko, 30. maaliskuuta 2011 13:59:26:
>> It has assembly code written for x86, x64 and ARM.
>> That means it is still not completely cross-platform. FPC supports more
>> processors than those 3.
>
> Actually it supports also PowerPC. That makes 4 processors. Still better.

Only darwin, but linux should be easy to add.  Arm will need work to get
it eabi ready.

Henry