[Lazarus] Open Source IDE Written Using Delphi

[Lazarus] Open Source IDE Written Using Delphi

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I thought this bit of information might be of interest and useful to us Lazarus people.

Apparently Embarcadero has forked the Bloodshed IDE and rewritten it to run natively using Delphi. Although this is a C++ IDE, it's lightweight, fast, and free open source software. It may be worth our effort to examine it and see if it contains any parts that are innovative, then either fork or be inspired by some of their code to bring about Lazarus enhancements.

I believe this is totally within the spirit of the open source movement. At the minimum it would be nice to look at the Pascal source code of another IDE and determine how someone else has decided to implement existing and different features, laying the way for using that knowledge to improve upon Lazarus.

Re: [Lazarus] *** SPAM *** Open Source IDE Written Using Delphi

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
It's nice that Embarcadero comes back to a Pascal IDE build with Pascal.

It's seems this IDE is compiled with Delphi 7, with .bat and .exe files,
I imagine it's windows only ?

May be it would have been nice that they sponsor Lazarus ;-) ?

Lazarus runs on nearly every platform where you want to develop,
Windows, x86 Linux, Raspberry, Mac ...

I imagine it would be complicated to reconcile the delphi bpl package
concept with lazarus package concept.

On 26/12/2020 9:56 am, Jean SUZINEAU via lazarus wrote:
> It's seems this IDE is compiled with Delphi 7, with .bat and .exe files,
> I imagine it's windows only ?
>
> May be it would have been nice that they sponsor Lazarus ;-) ?

In my honest opinion, I don't think there is anything WE can learn from
Embarcadero (other than how not to do things). But I do believe there is
a lot they can learn from us.

The Free Pascal and Larazus community should be leading the future of the
Object Pascal languge, not Embarcadero.

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] *** SPAM *** Open Source IDE Written Using Delphi

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Why was the subject of my submission changed with "*** SPAM ***" inserted?

Curious

Re: [Lazarus] Open Source IDE Written Using Delphi

+1
I agree

Re: [Lazarus] Open Source IDE Written Using Delphi

Sorry, I didn't notice.

I think it's my mail provider Orange/Wanadoo, the french phone operator.

Sometimes they arbitrarily insert *** SPAM *** in the subject of some mails before I receive them .

I should have removed it by hand.

W dniu 2020-12-26 o 10:05, Anthony Walter via lazarus pisze:

> I thought this bit of information might be of interest and useful to us
> Lazarus people.
>
> Apparently Embarcadero has forked the Bloodshed IDE
> <https://blogs.embarcadero.com/dev-c-is-a-low-memory-windows-native-c-ide-built-in-delphi/>
> and rewritten it to run natively using Delphi. Although this is a C++
> IDE, it's lightweight, fast, and free open source software. It may be
> worth our effort to examine it and see if it contains any parts that are
> innovative, then either fork or be inspired by some of their code to
> bring about Lazarus enhancements.
>
> I believe this is totally within the spirit of the open source movement.
> At the minimum it would be nice to look at the Pascal source code of
> another IDE and determine how someone else has decided to implement
> existing and different features, laying the way for using that knowledge
> to improve upon Lazarus.
>
> https://blogs.embarcadero.com/dev-c-is-a-low-memory-windows-native-c-ide-built-in-delphi/
> <https://blogs.embarcadero.com/dev-c-is-a-low-memory-windows-native-c-ide-built-in-delphi/>

Dev-Pascal - probably my first contact with Free Pascal (about 20 years
ago?).

Michał.

On 12/26/2020 3:15 AM, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> Why was the subject of my submission changed with "*** SPAM ***"
> inserted?
>
> Curious

It is not your submission but the reply of someone else, who's email
server had a spam filter triggered, possibly a false positive of your
message on their system through a misconfiguration.

I see your original message just fine, without the spam tag...

On 12/26/2020 1:56 AM, Jean SUZINEAU via lazarus wrote:
It's nice that Embarcadero comes back to a Pascal IDE build with Pascal.

It's seems this IDE is compiled with Delphi 7, with .bat and .exe files, I imagine it's windows only ?

Yes, it is Windows only and it is not a Pascal IDE, but a C++ IDE.

They picked up an abandoned Open Source C++ IDE called "Dev C++", which by itself was a fork of an abandoned Open Source C++ IDE called "Bloodshed C++". And that one was written in Delphi starting back in 1998, many, many moons ago. Lazarus had it's first beta version out in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dev-C%2B%2B

Ralf