[Lazarus] Online Package Manager

 I decided to implement the online package manager(opkman) or at least give it a try. The first stable(alpha) version is ready and it works like this: the packages are zipped and stored in a webserver(repository) along with a json file. I chose zip to minimize server load. The json file contains all the necessary info about the packages. Once installed into the IDE, the opkman downloads, then serialize the json file into a package list. The list is  displayed in a tree. On request the packages can be downloaded or/and installed. For now the repository is read-only, it contains only eight, well known(I guess?) packages. The nature/type of the eight package is irrelevant for now, since we are only testing the functionality of the opkman. Few notes:

 1. Supported versions: Laz 1.6+(FPC 3.0.0+). I did the implementation/testing with Lazarus trunk(FPC 3.0.0)
 2. Tested under the following widgetsets: Win32/64, GTK2, Carbon
 3. After install, you can find opkman in the "Package" menu
 4. Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Me_c5onmWoVXU3Y1N2dk8xWDQ/view?usp=sharing

 Please test! Suggestions are welcome.

 PS: Big thanks to @Leledumbo for hosting the repository.

 regards,
 Balázs

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 2016-10-04 13:11, Balázs Székely via Lazarus wrote:
>  I decided to implement the online package manager(opkman) or at least give
> it a try.

Not to deter from all your efforts, but I think there is already a
brilliant solution called "Delphinus". It is an open-source replacement
to the ridiculous one included with newer Delphi versions as standard.

All that would be required is to port that code to work with Lazarus IDE
(instead of Delphi IDE - or possible work with both IDE's).

So, what's the benefit of Delphinus:
  * there is _no_ central repository!
  * You can publish new project without notifying the Delphinus
    author
  * It hooks into the Github API, so everything is automated.
  * You can have a console app or IDE add-on to install
    packages.

See the second link for how simple it is to publish a new project.

Delpinus (website and code repository)
   https://github.com/Memnarch/Delphinus

Publishing your Project for Delphinus
   https://github.com/Memnarch/Delphinus

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi Graeme,

Thanks for the feedback! "Delphinus" is indeed an interesting project, let's hope somebody will have the time and energy to convert it to Lazarus. Personally I prefer a central repository, so each package can be checked individually. I'm not a control freak, I just want to make sure that each package in the repository can be compiled/installed.

Balázs

My public PGP key:  http://tinyurl.com/graeme-pgp

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Balázs Székely via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Thanks for sharing it, it's really a great job! :-)

Some suggestions:

* allow the user to use Lazarus-CCR/Github/Bitbucket/GitLab as component server; (it allows anyone to publish their components)
* rename it to something like LazGetIt or LPM (Lazarus package manager) etc., try to send it to be distributed in the Lazarus /components folder, or try to ask Lazarus team about how to improve it, so that it comes installed as default in the official Lazarus IDE; (Lazarus needs a official solution like Delphi's GetIt or Delphinus)
* add the "Uninstall", "Remove", "Download" and "Info" buttons; (Uninstall - just uninstall it from Lazarus IDE; Remove - uninstall and remove all downloaded files; Download - just download the component sources without install it; Info - show the component README/overview)
* synchronize it to show some already installed component; (it avoid conflict with another installed user component)
* allow it to use HTTPS.

Anyway, I've not seen the sources, I've just installed it on my IDE taking the following awesome window: https://img42.com/6axLU .

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:43:18 -0300
silvioprog via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> * rename it to something like LazGetIt or LPM (Lazarus package manager)

Note: the IDE's package manager is named Lazarus package manager.

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 2:02 PM, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2016 13:43:18 -0300
silvioprog via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> * rename it to something like LazGetIt or LPM (Lazarus package manager)

Note: the IDE's package manager is named Lazarus package manager.

Mattias

Indeed. :-)

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

@Silvio
>allow the user to use Lazarus-CCR/Github/Bitbucket/GitLab as component server; (it allows anyone to publish their components)
It would take a lot of effort, the project is already complex, although I only completed about 30%. I might add support for Github later, Delphinus is already there and is a great tool.
> rename it to something like LazGetIt or LPM (Lazarus package manager) etc.
In my opinion the name is irrelevant for now, it can be renamed later to anything except LazGetit, it sounds like a copy of Delphi's GetIt. It's entirely different project, concept.
> add the "Uninstall", "Remove", "Download" and "Info" buttons
"Download To" and "Clean up" buttons are already there. I will add the others soon.
>synchronize it to show some already installed component; (it avoid conflict with another installed user component)
It does show you if the component is installed or not, more over you can see the installed version(the second column, with bold). See attachment.
> allow it to use HTTPS
Already supported! You need the install the OpenSSL libraries though.

Thank you for the feedback.

opkmani.png (51K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
The online package manager works well and its operation is smooth
thanks to threaded code.

Earlier discussions have recommended fppkg.
 http://free-pascal-lazarus.989080.n3.nabble.com/Lazarus-An-online-package-manager-tt4043469.html#none
I discussed with GetMem earlier and he says fppkg is not very well
suited here. I must take his word on this issue because he is the only
person so far to make a functional online package manager.
"Lazarus packagemanager" from Darius Blaszyk uses fppkg but does not work.
The "Aarre" initiative from Mattias and myself has no functional code either.
Several people (including myself) had plans to write such a package
manager ... but nobody did until now.

My goal is to include this GetMem's work in Lazarus sources. It also
means commit access for him.

Now the code has copies of some FCL classes and a copy of
VirtualTreeview. These can be seen as temporary copies.
The goal is to integrate management of online package and local
packages. The Install/Uninstall Packages window in Lazarus would then
show also online packages and this new VirtualTreeview based GUI would
show local packages. In essence the new GUI will be an alternative to
the old GUI. Competition is good.

What do you people say?

On Fri, 7 Oct 2016, Juha Manninen via Lazarus wrote:

> The online package manager works well and its operation is smooth
> thanks to threaded code.
>
> Earlier discussions have recommended fppkg.
> http://free-pascal-lazarus.989080.n3.nabble.com/Lazarus-An-online-package-manager-tt4043469.html#none
> I discussed with GetMem earlier and he says fppkg is not very well
> suited here. I must take his word on this issue because he is the only
> person so far to make a functional online package manager.
> "Lazarus packagemanager" from Darius Blaszyk uses fppkg but does not work.
> The "Aarre" initiative from Mattias and myself has no functional code either.
> Several people (including myself) had plans to write such a package
> manager ... but nobody did until now.
>
> My goal is to include this GetMem's work in Lazarus sources. It also
> means commit access for him.
>
> Now the code has copies of some FCL classes and a copy of
> VirtualTreeview. These can be seen as temporary copies.
> The goal is to integrate management of online package and local
> packages. The Install/Uninstall Packages window in Lazarus would then
> show also online packages and this new VirtualTreeview based GUI would
> show local packages. In essence the new GUI will be an alternative to
> the old GUI. Competition is good.
>
> What do you people say?

The info regarding the fppkg manager is not quite correct.
There is a testing website for submitting fppkg packages (it's not yet
published, though). So why fppkg  is not suitable is a bit of a mystery to me.

[Lazarus] Cannot config 2nd toolbar of Coolbar

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I opened today options of Coolbar of ide (using rt-click on toolbar's grip lines),
and cannot select 2nd toolbar (1st toolbar is selected always with carrot BG color, cant select 2nd).
And cant configure it.
It is bug?
Ubuntu 14.04 gtk2

Alexey

Re: [Lazarus] Cannot config 2nd toolbar of Coolbar

On Sun, Oct 9, 2016 at 4:15 AM, Alexey via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I opened today options of Coolbar of ide (using rt-click on toolbar's grip lines),
and cannot select 2nd toolbar (1st toolbar is selected always with carrot BG color, cant select 2nd).
And cant configure it.

You can select it by clicking the empty area at right side of the icons.

It is bug?

Yes, the behavior is counter-intuitive. Clicking the icons should also select it.
If somebody wants to fix it, a patch is welcome.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Balázs Székely

We have made considerable progress with the online package manager. Next week the central repository will be populated with 30+ packages. Here is a short video(please watch it in 700p).

https://youtu.be/y_hT8u2u5bU

Suggestions are welcome.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Very nice work!

On 28.10.2016 8:20, Balázs Székely via Lazarus wrote:
> Suggestions are welcome.

Just a note: please mind the image policy of Lazarus - see
trunk\images\README.txt (if you haven't done it already). Especially
please keep track of image sources you use (e.g. in some kind of
INFO.txt or whatever) - it's easy when you add images but hard after
some years are gone :)

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Balázs Székely
Hi Ondrej,

Thanks for the feedback!
I only download/use free icons(free as a free beer :) ) from sites like this one:
https://www.iconfinder.com/iconsets/32x32-free-design-icons
It clearly states: "License: Free for commercial use (Include link to authors website)". I suppose it's ok to use them, if we leave a txt with a link?

Balázs

On 28.10.2016 9:56, Balázs Székely via Lazarus wrote:
> I only download/use free icons(free as a free beer :) )

Be aware that CC license is not "free as a free beer" :)

> from sites like this
> one:
> https://www.iconfinder.com/iconsets/32x32-free-design-icons
> It clearly states: "License: Free for commercial use (Include link to
> authors website)". I suppose it's ok to use them, if we leave a txt with a
> link?

Exactly. Keep track of used icons and list them by license/author in
some text file. See e.g. lcl\images\copyright.txt . It makes things a
lot easier in the future. Thanks!

+ Also make sure that you don't list iconfinder.com as a source but the
original author - e.g. in case of your link above it's
http://www.small-icons.com/packs/32x32-free-design-icons.htm .

Ondrej

On Fri, October 28, 2016 12:20 am, Balázs Székely via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We have made considerable progress with the online package manager. Next
> week the central repository will be populated with 30+ packages. Here is a
>  short video(please watch it in 700p).
>
> https://youtu.be/y_hT8u2u5bU
>

> Suggestions are welcome.

Now all that is needed is something like Torry.net which indexes and
offers search for all the components.  This is something that has kept me
using delphi/lazarus instead of Visual C++, as visual C++ has absolutely
nothing for websites offering components... I have no clue where msvc
users get their components from, they seem to roll their own or use
codeproject.com

The current lazarus code repository on sourceforge and spread about
throughout the wiki is good, but a website like torry.net that centrally
indexes the stuff would be great. In fact I was interested in working on
such a project at one time but paid projects were more of a priority so I
put it on the back burner.

Also, interesting that Torry still has no real lazarus section AFAIK...
it's almost as if torry doesn't much care about fpc/lazarus. There were
rumors that they were going to add it at some point; not sure whatever
happened.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Online Package Manager shows the packages with "new" icon if the latest
release time was in the given number of days, but shows them with normal
icon if they are older than that days regardless if they are up-to-date
or not.
I my opinion:
- It would be better to show up-to-date packages with normal icon
and
- Show all packages with "new" icon if their last release is newer than
the installed one...

--
Péter Gábor

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Online Package Manager shows the packages with "new" icon if the latest
release time was in the given number of days, but shows them with normal
icon if they are older than that days regardless if they are up-to-date
or not.
I my opinion:
- It would be better to show up-to-date packages with normal icon
and
- Show all packages with "new" icon if their last release is newer than
the installed one...

The idea was to notify the user if something has changed in the main repository. With your method non-installed packages wouldn't show up as "new" packages. For example if a completely new package is added to the main repository, you cannot see it as new, which is not optimal in my opinion.Beside if a new update is available a bold NEW text appears in the update column(see attachment).

--
Péter Gábor

OPM.png (100K) Download Attachment
12