[Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

[Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

How can one include a new package in the Online Package Manager repository ?

on

https://wiki.freepascal.org/Online_Package_Manager

There is somewhere

'Upload somewhere the files and send the link to [hidden email] or
press the submit button, the files are directly uploaded to a remote
server.'

Is this still the official procedure ?

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi Michael,

'Upload somewhere the files and send the link to [hidden email] or
press the submit button, the files are directly uploaded to a remote
server.'
Is this still the official procedure ?
Yes, pretty much. The most popular way is a dedicated thread in the forum( https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.0.html ).
All I need is a link to the package, I will try to add it to OPM in less then 24 hours. [hidden email] is also a valid alternative.

regards,
Balázs

Hi,

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> 'Upload somewhere the files and send the link to [hidden email] or
>> press the submit button, the files are directly uploaded to a remote
>> server.'
>> Is this still the official procedure ?
>>
> Yes, pretty much. The most popular way is a dedicated thread in the forum(
> https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,34297.0.html ).
> All I need is a link to the package, I will try to add it to OPM in less
> then 24 hours. [hidden email] is also a valid alternative.
Sure, thank you. It's for the lazarus book, I wanted to be sure the
instructions are correct.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
It's for the lazarus book
Cool. Thank you.

I wanted to be sure the instructions are correct.
The instructions are correct, however that [hidden email] it's kinda silly looking email. Perhaps we should switch to something more official like: [hidden email] or something similar. I must talk to @Marc, maybe he can create an email account.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

>> It's for the lazarus book
>>
> Cool. Thank you.
>
> I wanted to be sure the instructions are correct.
>>
> The instructions are correct, however that [hidden email] it's kinda
> silly looking email. Perhaps we should switch to something more official
> like: [hidden email] or something similar. I must talk to @Marc, maybe
> he can create an email account.
I think that would be an excellent idea.
Not sure if lazarus-ide.org has a mailer.
I hope so, but if not, I can always create a [hidden email] or somesuch.

Please let me know, so I can correct the text if need be :-)

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 2:12 PM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think that would be an excellent idea.
Not sure if lazarus-ide.org has a mailer.
I hope so, but if not, I can always create a [hidden email] or somesuch.

Please let me know, so I can correct the text if need be :-)

Michael.

What do you think about to create a new project "OPM" at bugs.freepascal? ☺ This way, the package's author just opens an new issue categorized with "OPM" providing steps/requirements he wants to upgrade his package, making it public and available for future consultation/reference.

(MinGW follows something like this, allowing merging from Github's PRs to their upstream)

--
Silvio Clécio

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:47 PM silvioprog via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
What do you think about to create a new project "OPM" at bugs.freepascal? ☺ This way, the package's author just opens an new issue categorized with "OPM" providing steps/requirements he wants to upgrade his package, making it public and available for future consultation/reference.

That sounds dangerous. We would get bug reports of components delivered by OPM although they are maintained elsewhere. Actually it has happened already.

(MinGW follows something like this, allowing merging from Github's PRs to their upstream)

Then they both must be in the same source tree somehow. I don't know about their process.
Note, the sources of packages delivered by OPM are not merged to Lazarus source tree. They are just copied.

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:47 PM silvioprog via lazarus <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What do you think about to create a new project "OPM"
>> at bugs.freepascal? ☺ This way, the package's author just opens an new
>> issue categorized with "OPM" providing steps/requirements he wants to
>> upgrade his package, making it public and available for
>> future consultation/reference.
>>

> That sounds dangerous. We would get bug reports of components delivered by
> OPM although they are maintained elsewhere. Actually it has happened
> already.
I am also not in favour of such an approach.
It's a bugtracker, not an upgrade manager.

I have not used the OPM extensively, but I think that once a package has
been registered/accepted, I think the original author must be able to upload his
own changes.

Part of the registration procedure could be uploading a public key for
packages, which could be used to verify an upload. The OPM can generate this
key (together with a private key, obviously) and sign the zips.

I have seen that you can also have a JSON file with update instructions, but
this seems a little abnormal to me, forcing the package creator to have some
infrastructure in place for downloads.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 4:22 PM Juha Manninen via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:47 PM silvioprog via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
What do you think about to create a new project "OPM" at bugs.freepascal? ☺ This way, the package's author just opens an new issue categorized with "OPM" providing steps/requirements he wants to upgrade his package, making it public and available for future consultation/reference.

That sounds dangerous. We would get bug reports of components delivered by OPM although they are maintained elsewhere. Actually it has happened already.

Indeed, it would be a big problem.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 6:11 PM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:47 PM silvioprog via lazarus <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What do you think about to create a new project "OPM"
>> at bugs.freepascal? ☺ This way, the package's author just opens an new
>> issue categorized with "OPM" providing steps/requirements he wants to
>> upgrade his package, making it public and available for
>> future consultation/reference.
>>

> That sounds dangerous. We would get bug reports of components delivered by
> OPM although they are maintained elsewhere. Actually it has happened
> already.

I am also not in favour of such an approach.
It's a bugtracker, not an upgrade manager.

I have not used the OPM extensively, but I think that once a package has
been registered/accepted, I think the original author must be able to upload his
own changes.

Me too. Many other PMs allows the component/library authors to upgrade their packages. I personally would like to use any procedure instead of sending e-mail.

Part of the registration procedure could be uploading a public key for
packages, which could be used to verify an upload. The OPM can generate this
key (together with a private key, obviously) and sign the zips.

I have seen that you can also have a JSON file with update instructions, but
this seems a little abnormal to me, forcing the package creator to have some
infrastructure in place for downloads.

Michael.

Signed packages (tar.gz or zips) really would be very useful.

--
Silvio Clécio

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 8:05 PM silvioprog <[hidden email]> wrote:
Me too. Many other PMs allows the component/library authors to upgrade their packages. I personally would like to use any procedure instead of sending e-mail.

I meant "... to upgrade their packages by themselves."

--
Silvio Clécio

@Michael

@silvioprog
Me too. Many other PMs allows the component/library authors to upgrade their packages. I personally would like to use any procedure instead of sending e-mail.

Creating such an infrastructure would require a lot of work and time. First you need a registration/login system for the package developers, a database to store information about the packages, a mechanism to find dependencies(currently is done by parsing a json), quotas for users, etc. More over OPM shouldn't connect directly to the database, you need a third application running on server side via cgi, also you need some kind of traffic encryption. Definitely not a one man job.

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

> @Michael
> I have not used the OPM extensively, but I think that once a package has
> been registered/accepted, I think the original author must be able to
> upload his
> own changes.
>
> @silvioprog
> Me too. Many other PMs allows the component/library authors to upgrade
> their packages. I personally would like to use any procedure instead of
> sending e-mail.
>
> Creating such an infrastructure would require a lot of work and time. First
> you need a registration/login system for the package developers, a database
> to store information about the packages, a mechanism to find
> dependencies(currently is done by parsing a json), quotas for users, etc.
> More over OPM shouldn't connect directly to the database, you need a third
> application running on server side via cgi, also you need some kind of
> traffic encryption. Definitely not a one man job.
You are aware that Joost has already a completely function system for this ?

We're going to roll it out for FPC after 3.2, and I suppose you could piggy-back on it
for the OPM. As far as I know joost has been working actively on bridging
the lazarus package system with the fppkg system in lazarus,
so I imagine it should not be too much work for you.

I still need to rewrite the web-front end in pas2js, but from what I've seen
that should also not be too much work. It's in my top-3 TODO when the texts
for the Lazarus book are done.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
You are aware that Joost has already a completely function system for this ?
No. I mean, I was aware that Joost is working on a package manager for fpc, but I didn't know any details about his work. Unfortunately this wasn't properly communicated between the two teams.

We're going to roll it out for FPC after 3.2, and I suppose you could piggy-back on it
for the OPM. As far as I know joost has been working actively on bridging
the lazarus package system with the fppkg system in lazarus,
so I imagine it should not be too much work for you.
That would be awesome. I will check the package manager with FPC 3.2. Thanks for the information.

I still need to rewrite the web-front end in pas2js, but from what I've seen
that should also not be too much work. It's in my top-3 TODO when the texts
for the Lazarus book are done.
You're writing the whole book alone, or do you have dedicated chapters?

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager question

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

>> You are aware that Joost has already a completely function system for this
>> ?
>
> No. I mean, I was aware that Joost is working on a package manager for fpc,
> but I didn't know any details about his work. Unfortunately this wasn't
> properly communicated between the two teams.

Well, Joost finished not so long ago, and there are still some issues, but
it's all coming together now.

> We're going to roll it out for FPC after 3.2, and I suppose you could
>> piggy-back on it
>> for the OPM. As far as I know joost has been working actively on bridging
>> the lazarus package system with the fppkg system in lazarus,
>> so I imagine it should not be too much work for you.
>>
> That would be awesome. I will check the package manager with FPC 3.2.
> Thanks for the information.

You're welcome.

The idea is to need  as little human intervention as possible.
Only approving a new package would require admin intervention.

> I still need to rewrite the web-front end in pas2js, but from what I've seen
>> that should also not be too much work. It's in my top-3 TODO when the texts
>> for the Lazarus book are done.
>>
> You're writing the whole book alone, or do you have dedicated chapters?

Oh no, I'm not writing alone, but meanwhile I do think I wrote the biggest part.
but I'm not exactly sure. Only when the final version is there will I know,
but that should be really soon now... :)

On 13/04/2020 10:11 pm, Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus wrote:
> I have not used the OPM extensively, but I think that once a package has
> been registered/accepted, I think the original author must be able to upload his
> own changes.

Just curious - does the OPM support multiple versions of a package? eg:
If the package includes code breaking changes in a newer version,
developers could still choose to use a older version that doesn't break
there code.  Think Maven packages where any release version can be
chosen by developers using that package.

Regards,
  Graeme