[Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

[Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

I tried to install a package using the package manager (Brook framework).
The package manager tells me the compile failed.

How can I see what the actual error is ?

Or must I open the package manually, compile manually to see the error ?

If so, why isn't there a 'open this package' entry in the list of packages ?

I have no easy way of locating the package.
In the options, I found where the OLPM downloads the packages,
but to get there on a mac involves an insane amount of clicking,
provided I managed to remember the location where the package is supposed to
be...

A browser's 'downloads' window allows you to open the file or open the file
location. I think this could be a good addition to the OLPM.

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi Michael,

I tried to install a package using the package manager (Brook framework).
The package manager tells me the compile failed.
How can I see what the actual error is ?
The Message Window is not obscured by OPM, usually I check the error messages there.
Ideally you shouldn't see any error messages :), however there are too many Lazarus/FPC version/widgetsets. I cannot check each package on every single platform. This should be the package maintainers job.
In Lazarus trunk there is a small improvement though, if a package is not tested against a specific widgetset/Laz/FPC version, OPM will warn you, that the package compile might fail.

Or must I open the package manually, compile manually to see the error ?
If so, why isn't there a 'open this package' entry in the list of packages ?
 This is a good idea, I can add an "open this package" entry.

have no easy way of locating the package.
In the options, I found where the OLPM downloads the packages,
but to get there on a mac involves an insane amount of clicking,
provided I managed to remember the location where the package is supposed to
be...
Please click the "Local Repo" button(see attachment) , it will open a file manager window with the folder where the packages are installed.

regards,
Balázs.

Hi,

OPM.png (59K) Download Attachment

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> I tried to install a package using the package manager (Brook framework).
>> The package manager tells me the compile failed.
>> How can I see what the actual error is ?
>>
> The Message Window is not obscured by OPM, usually I check the error
> messages there.

Duh !  I should have checked that...
The message window was obscured in my case.
Damn this docked IDE, I can't get used to it ;-)

> Ideally you shouldn't see any error messages :), however there are too many
> Lazarus/FPC version/widgetsets. I cannot check each package on every single
> platform. This should be the package maintainers job.
> In Lazarus trunk there is a small improvement though, if a package is not
> tested against a specific widgetset/Laz/FPC version, OPM will warn you,
> that the package compile might fail.

OK, seems like a good idea.

BTW, the message was not meant to point out that there is a broken package.
I understand perfectly you cannot check every possible package out there.
I simply didn't see the messages window.

for completeness sake, here is the actual error:

brookfclfcgibroker.pas(23,12) Fatal: Cannot find CustFCGI used by BrookFCLFCGIBroker of package BrookRT.

> Or must I open the package manually, compile manually to see the error ?
>> If so, why isn't there a 'open this package' entry in the list of packages
>> ?
>>
> This is a good idea, I can add an "open this package" entry.

Yes, please. That would be really handy ! See below.

> have no easy way of locating the package.
>> In the options, I found where the OLPM downloads the packages,
>> but to get there on a mac involves an insane amount of clicking,
>> provided I managed to remember the location where the package is supposed
>> be...
>>
> Please click the "Local Repo" button(see attachment) , it will open a file
> manager window with the folder where the packages are installed.
Yes, I did that before mailing.

But when I open a package in this dialog, it shows me an empty file list :(

So, in order to open the package, I must then
* remember the location
* close this dialog and go to the 'open package file' dialog in the package menu.
* Browse to home directory.
* Enable showing hidden files with Cmd-Shift-Period to be able to select the .lazarus
directory (this is Mac!)
* Continue to correct directory
* Open package file.
And then I see the correct file list in the package...

Now you will understand why I think the 'open this package' entry is a good idea ;-)

Thanks for looking at this :-)

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Hi all.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 7:50 AM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I tried to install a package using the package manager (Brook framework).
The package manager tells me the compile failed.

I took a look at the version available in OPM and noticed it provides the outdated version, available only for historical purposes.

New applications have to use Brook Tardigrade, available at risoflora/brookframework (with a branch for minor changes: risoflora/brookframework/tree/v5.1). The OPM is supposed to provide it, named as "Brook Framework".

The old version is available at risoflora/brookfreepascal, however, it is not maintained so often.

cheers

--
Silvio Clécio

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, silvioprog via lazarus wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 7:50 AM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried to install a package using the package manager (Brook framework).
>> The package manager tells me the compile failed.
>>

> I took a look at the version available in OPM and noticed it provides the
> outdated version, available only for historical purposes.

As you are the author, I think it is your responsability to update the
package entry, no ?

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
@Michael

I implemented the 'open package entry' feature in  r.62959. If a package is available locally, you can open it by clicking the Open button or double click the selected package(screenshot1). More over if a package compile/install fails, OPM will offer you to open the package(screenshot2).

@silvioprog
I will update Brook framework soon.

OPM2.png (35K) Download Attachment
OPM1.png (62K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

> @Michael
>
> I implemented the 'open package entry' feature in  r.62959. If a package is
> available locally, you can open it by clicking the Open button or double
> click the selected package(screenshot1). More over if a package
> compile/install fails, OPM will offer you to open the package(screenshot2).

Nice :-) Great job !

While we're at it: meanwhile I enabled the 'Package maintainer' profile.
I get then the option to specify files/directories that should be excluded
from zip files.

I see no need to make this 2 lists ?
.gitignore and friends also don't need 2 separate lists.

One list of names/masks should suffice, don't you think ?
Or is there a reason for having the 2 lists separate ?
(maybe I fail to see something)

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 11:56 AM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
As you are the author, I think it is your responsability to update the
package entry, no ?

hm... I never published a package at OPM repository before, so I don't know how to do that (yet). 😅

In next message Balázs wrote he will update it soon, so I would appreciate to help him on that.

I have a naive suggestion for OPM. I'm going to talk about that a little in next message ...

--
Silvio Clécio

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 1:58 PM Balázs Székely via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
@silvioprog
I will update Brook framework soon.

Thank you very much for maintaining OPM! And feel absolutely free to ask any question about the package if you need. 👍

I have a naive suggestion for OPM. Some components depends on external libraries/binaries (libffi, openssl, libsagui etc.), so it would be nice any field like "Libraries", or "Dependencies", or even "External files" inside the "Package info", providing previous information that the package needs external libraries/files to work properly. (sorry if it is already implemented, I'm using Lazarus 2.0.6)

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
@Michael
Or is there a reason for having the 2 lists separate ?
Other then visually separate files from folders there is no reason.

One list of names/masks should suffice, don't you think ?
Yes I agree, it can be done with a single list. I add it to my "to do list" :)

@silvioprog
I updated Brook framework, by default win32/win64 and gtk2 are the supported widget sets. If your package works on other platform too, like: qt5, gtk3, cocoa, please let me know so I can update in OPM.

I have a naive suggestion for OPM. Some components depends on external libraries/binaries (libffi, openssl, libsagui etc.), so it would be nice any field like "Libraries", or "Dependencies", or even "External files" inside the "Package info", providing previous information that the package needs external libraries/files to work properly. (sorry if it is already implemented, I'm using Lazarus 2.0.6)
Thanks for the suggestion. In my opinion the external libraries should be shipped with the package(if possible). Adding a new entry in the package tree it's not a problem, it can be done in 15-20 minutes, however the list already has a "Christmas tree" feeling to it. Any extra info should be added to the "package description"  or "community description" entries, which can be opened in a separate form.

Balázs Székely via lazarus <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020, 20:08:

I have a naive suggestion for OPM. Some components depends on external libraries/binaries (libffi, openssl, libsagui etc.), so it would be nice any field like "Libraries", or "Dependencies", or even "External files" inside the "Package info", providing previous information that the package needs external libraries/files to work properly. (sorry if it is already implemented, I'm using Lazarus 2.0.6)
Thanks for the suggestion. In my opinion the external libraries should be shipped with the package(if possible). Adding a new entry in the package tree it's not a problem, it can be done in 15-20 minutes, however the list already has a "Christmas tree" feeling to it. Any extra info should be added to the "package description"  or "community description" entries, which can be opened in a separate form.

I don't agree. Especially on Linux (and the BSDs probably as well) that is part of the OS' package manager, even for macOS there is an open source one that one can install to handle such things. So a list of required dependencies would be enough.

This list would also be useful for deployment of the final application however so that one can either set up an installer / package correctly or report to the user in a Readme or so what libraries are required.

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 3:08 PM Balázs Székely via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
@silvioprog
I updated Brook framework, by default win32/win64 and gtk2 are the supported widget sets. If your package works on other platform too, like: qt5, gtk3, cocoa, please let me know so I can update in OPM.

Thanks for updating! However, I would like to do some changes in "Package info / Community description" info soon. Where can I change this?

Regarding qt/gtk/cocoa, the component doesn't depend on any widget.

I have a naive suggestion for OPM. Some components depends on external libraries/binaries (libffi, openssl, libsagui etc.), so it would be nice any field like "Libraries", or "Dependencies", or even "External files" inside the "Package info", providing previous information that the package needs external libraries/files to work properly. (sorry if it is already implemented, I'm using Lazarus 2.0.6)
Thanks for the suggestion. In my opinion the external libraries should be shipped with the package(if possible). Adding a new entry in the package tree it's not a problem, it can be done in 15-20 minutes, however the list already has a "Christmas tree" feeling to it. Any extra info should be added to the "package description"  or "community description" entries, which can be opened in a separate form.

It is not often possible to distribute libraries due to license issues, so something clear alerting about required libraries would be great.

--
Silvio Clécio

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020, Sven Barth via lazarus wrote:

> Balázs Székely via lazarus <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mo.,
> 13. Apr. 2020, 20:08:
>

>> I have a naive suggestion for OPM. Some components depends on external
>>> libraries/binaries (libffi, openssl, libsagui etc.), so it would be nice
>>> any field like "Libraries", or "Dependencies", or even "External files"
>>> inside the "Package info", providing previous information that the package
>>> needs external libraries/files to work properly. (sorry if it is already
>>> implemented, I'm using Lazarus 2.0.6)
>>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. In my opinion the external libraries should be
>> shipped with the package(if possible). Adding a new entry in the package
>> tree it's not a problem, it can be done in 15-20 minutes, however the list
>> already has a "Christmas tree" feeling to it. Any extra info should be
>> added to the "package description"  or "community description" entries,
>> which can be opened in a separate form.
>>

> I don't agree. Especially on Linux (and the BSDs probably as well) that is
> part of the OS' package manager, even for macOS there is an open source one
> that one can install to handle such things. So a list of required
> dependencies would be enough.
>
> This list would also be useful for deployment of the final application
> however so that one can either set up an installer / package correctly or
> report to the user in a Readme or so what libraries are required.
+1.

Don't distribute binaries, only sources. The binary may not work on all
distributions, you'd need to provide one for all platforms (which you may
not have yourself). It may be outdated, no security fixed applied etc..

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
@Sven, @silvioprog, @Michael
OK. No binaries then. Obviously I'm a "windows minded" person, with little experience on other platforms.
As a side node, OPM filters out binaries by default, however for a few well known packages, dlls were allowed, which turned out great and was appreciated by users. Hence my (wrong) suggestion.

@silvioprog
Thanks for updating! However, I would like to do some changes in "Package info / Community description" info soon. Where can I change this?
You're welcome. Just tell me what to change and I will change it. Unfortunately there is no automatic mechanism for now(see my reply in the other thread).

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
@silvioprog
I added the "external dependencies" node  to OPM, so it can be used in the future.

OPM.png (63K) Download Attachment

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 12:23 AM Michael Van Canneyt via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1.

Don't distribute binaries, only sources.

Please notice I'm not suggesting to distribute binaries, but only some field to indicate the package depends on external libraries/binaries, like other package managers and distribution methods does (appimage/.deb/.rpm/getit/npm/nuget/cmake and so on), i.e. make it easy to the programmer known about required dependencies.

--
Silvio Clécio

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 3:02 AM Balázs Székely via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
You're welcome. Just tell me what to change and I will change it. Unfortunately there is no automatic mechanism for now(see my reply in the other thread).

Thank you!

(is the [hidden email] created? :-) )

--
Silvio Clécio

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 4:18 AM Balázs Székely via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
@silvioprog
I added the "external dependencies" node  to OPM, so it can be used in the future.

Wow, it is exactly I'm looking for! Thank you more one time! 😀

I'm going to send the description and external dependencies I would like to add for the Brook package ... (should I send to [hidden email]?)

--
Silvio Clécio

Re: [Lazarus] Online Package Manager errors ?

@Silvio
(is the [hidden email] created? :-) )
No, not yet :). Hopefully in a few months, each package maintainer will be able to update they own packages.