[Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

theo
I have an OpenSUSE 10.2 where I succeded to run Lazarus 0.9.31 up to now.
After upgrading to 29544, I'm getting this error when trying to build a
project

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0

Strange thing is, the IDE has no problems to build itself and is
obviously not missing libgdk_pixbuf-2.0

I know I should probably upgrade this Linux Installation, otoh, if a
simple solution exists...
Does anybody know what's wrong here?

Thank you
Theo

Lazarus 0.9.31 r29544 FPC 2.4.2 i386-linux-gtk 2


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Mark Morgan Lloyd
theo wrote:

> I have an OpenSUSE 10.2 where I succeded to run Lazarus 0.9.31 up to now.
> After upgrading to 29544, I'm getting this error when trying to build a
> project
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0
>
> Strange thing is, the IDE has no problems to build itself and is
> obviously not missing libgdk_pixbuf-2.0
>
> I know I should probably upgrade this Linux Installation, otoh, if a
> simple solution exists...
> Does anybody know what's wrong here?
>
> Thank you
> Theo
>
> Lazarus 0.9.31 r29544 FPC 2.4.2 i386-linux-gtk 2

Does  ls -l /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0*  tell you anything useful?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

[Opinions above are the author's, not those of his employers or colleagues]

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

theo
Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Does  ls -l /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0*  tell you anything useful?

No, this lib doesn't seem to be installed here, but this was no problem so far.
I haven't even changed the compiler (*2.4.2 [2010/11/22] for i386)
I have only upgraded Lazarus from one of the first 0.9.31 versions to *0.9.31 r29544, and
now the linker wants libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.
As I said, this is when I try to build even the simplest project, the IDE itself builds and runs without complaining about this lib,
so it is not strictly necessary it seems.

Thank you
Theo



--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

theo
In reply to this post by Mark Morgan Lloyd
I was wrong. The libs are there, but they are in /opt/gnome/lib on this
system.
For a reason, the latest version doesn't find them like the versions
before.
If  I add -Fl/opt/gnome/lib, everything is fine.

Thank you
Theo


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Mattias Gaertner
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:27:22 +0100
theo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was wrong. The libs are there, but they are in /opt/gnome/lib on this
> system.
> For a reason, the latest version doesn't find them like the versions
> before.
> If  I add -Fl/opt/gnome/lib, everything is fine.

Ah, I thought this was obsolete.

I added it to the LCL.


Mattias

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

theo
> Ah, I thought this was obsolete.
> I added it to the LCL.

Thank you, problem solved.

Theo



--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Juha Manninen
In reply to this post by theo
theo kirjoitti maanantai 14 helmikuu 2011 16:15:15:
> I know I should probably upgrade this Linux Installation, ..

FYI: OpenSUSE 10.2 supports "zypper dup" (= Distro Update).
You don't need to download and burn CD images to update your system.
It works also in practice, unlike a similar feature in some other distros.
Maybe wait till the new version 10.4 before updating.

Juha

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Burkhard Carstens
In reply to this post by Mattias Gaertner
Am Montag, 14. Februar 2011 20:00 schrieb Mattias Gaertner:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:27:22 +0100
>
> theo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I was wrong. The libs are there, but they are in /opt/gnome/lib on
> > this system.
> > For a reason, the latest version doesn't find them like the
> > versions before.
> > If  I add -Fl/opt/gnome/lib, everything is fine.
>
> Ah, I thought this was obsolete.
>
> I added it to the LCL.

Could you please add it for gtk1, too?

Thanks,
 Burkhard


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Mattias Gaertner

 

 

Burkhard Carstens <[hidden email]> hat am 15. Februar 2011 um 11:07 geschrieben:

> Am Montag, 14. Februar 2011 20:00 schrieb Mattias Gaertner:
> > On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:27:22 +0100
> >
> > theo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > I was wrong. The libs are there, but they are in /opt/gnome/lib on
> > > this system.
> > > For a reason, the latest version doesn't find them like the
> > > versions before.
> > > If  I add -Fl/opt/gnome/lib, everything is fine.
> >
> > Ah, I thought this was obsolete.
> >
> > I added it to the LCL.
>
> Could you please add it for gtk1, too?

Yes, done.

Although I think it would be better to add the path to the fpc.cfg.

Mattias


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Hans-Peter Diettrich
In reply to this post by Juha Manninen
Juha Manninen schrieb:
> theo kirjoitti maanantai 14 helmikuu 2011 16:15:15:
>> I know I should probably upgrade this Linux Installation, ..
>
> FYI: OpenSUSE 10.2 supports "zypper dup" (= Distro Update).
> You don't need to download and burn CD images to update your system.
> It works also in practice, unlike a similar feature in some other distros.
> Maybe wait till the new version 10.4 before updating.

I was happy with 10.3 for a long time, but all newer versions sucked so
much that I stopped using OpenSuse at all. After trying Kubuntu (KDE) I
finally arrived at Ubuntu and Gnome. At least Ubuntu supports all the
KBD and GUI features that have been dropped from OpenSuse 11.

And beware, installing OpenSuse 11 in a multi-boot environment damaged
my disk system, making all other previously installed systems unusable!
This may be a new version Grub issue...

DoDi


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

theo
In reply to this post by Juha Manninen
 > Maybe wait till the new version 10.4 before updating.

You probably mean 11.4. Yes, I think I'll install this version when it's
out.

Thanks
Theo


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Juha Manninen
theo kirjoitti tiistai 15 helmikuu 2011 19:42:59:
>  > Maybe wait till the new version 10.4 before updating.
>
> You probably mean 11.4. Yes, I think I'll install this version when it's
> out.

Sorry yes. I mixed the numbers. It means my original claim was not true
either.  IIRC "zypper dup" works starting from OpenSuse 11.1.
I don't have OpenSuse currently in my main machine but I am planning to switch
back.

I read about DoDi's hardware related problems. It can be that OpenSuse doesn't
support all HW combinations as well as some other distros. I didn't experience
that myself though.

Juha

--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Lazarus] Old OpenSUSE 10.2 and Laz 29544

Hans-Peter Diettrich
Juha Manninen schrieb:

> I read about DoDi's hardware related problems. It can be that OpenSuse doesn't
> support all HW combinations as well as some other distros. I didn't experience
> that myself though.

I cannot see hardware problems here. I had a working system with
Windows, Suse 10.3 and other Linux systems on it, that rejected to boot
any system after an attempt to install openSuse 11.0 till 11.2.

DoDi


--
_______________________________________________
Lazarus mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/mailman/listinfo/lazarus