[Lazarus] Now Available Raspberry Pi 4

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
For those of you that use Lazarus on the Raspberry Pi, you might be pleased to learn that the Raspberry Pi 4 was revealed a hour ago and is available for order.

Improvements include a 3x performance boots, up to 4 GB of RAM, USB 3.0, dual HDMI out, a new 3D graphics core, and more.

With these changes I can see the Pi now as a complete desktop replacement computer. That is, something which is capable of doing everything you need with a computer. It should have no problem quickly lading multiple web pages, playing web video, running all the normal desktop applications such as Gimp, Audacity, and Lazarus.

I will be ordering one as soon as I can get the new case without buying the full kit. I will also be updating my download page to include a special version of FPC and Lazarus more suited to the Pi 4.

Cheers,
Anthony

Re: [Lazarus] Now Available Raspberry Pi 4

On 24/06/2019 8:17 am, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
> With these changes I can see the Pi now as a complete desktop replacement
> computer.

And only starting at $35 - mind blowing stuff!  :-)

ps:
  Thanks for the announcement.

Regards,
  Graeme

On 6/24/2019 12:21 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus wrote:
> On 24/06/2019 8:17 am, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
>> With these changes I can see the Pi now as a complete desktop replacement
>> computer.
>
> And only starting at $35 - mind blowing stuff!  :-)

Well, "starting at"...

The 4GB version ("wenn schon, denn schon"... ;-) ) is $55, add to that
that you need also a 5V/3A power supply, a SD card and now new (mini)
HDMI cables or adapters. Add a screen/monitor to it, and/or a camera,
keyboard, mouse and you are north of $100, in range where you get a low
end notebook these days...

Nevertheless, it is a nice step of evolution, specially now that it has
a dedicate Gigabit Ethernet and WiFi chip and doesn't (ab)use the USB
controller for that as on previous models. Wish they could decide to
make a 2 or 3 Ethernet port model, so you can build a really nice and
handy firewall/VPN gateway... :P

That said, Lazarus was workable on a RPi3B+, with just 1GB of RAM...

Ralf

---

Re: [Lazarus] Now Available Raspberry Pi 4

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Ralf, if you already have a Pi 3 power adapter, you can buy an official Pi tip to convert the micro USB to USB C for only $1. It's on their store. Also, this Pi has power over ethernet, so you can power it using that instead of the USB headers. Finally, if you were powering a Pi 3 via GPIO, nothing changes.

On 6/24/2019 4:00 PM, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:
Ralf, if you already have a Pi 3 power adapter, you can buy an official Pi tip to convert the micro USB to USB C for only $1. It's on their store. Also, this Pi has power over ethernet, so you can power it using that instead of the USB headers. Finally, if you were powering a Pi 3 via GPIO, nothing changes.

I read the specs that came out last night, that not only the connector for the power changed, but also that it needs a stronger power supply. PoE is a dud option, beside that you need the addition PoE hat, and power via GPIO is not a "simple" one for someone who's looking into a desktop PC...

Ralf

Re: [Lazarus] Now Available Raspberry Pi 4

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Ralf, the recommended power adapter for a rpi3 was 3 amp, the same as the rpi4.

On 24/06/2019 10:58 pm, Ralf Quint via lazarus wrote:
> The 4GB version ("wenn schon, denn schon"... ;-) ) is $55, add to that
> that you need also a 5V/3A power supply, a SD card and now new (mini)
> HDMI cables or adapters. Add a screen/monitor to it, and/or a camera,
> keyboard, mouse and you are north of $100, in range where you get a low
> end notebook these days...

I get what you are saying, but simply reusing a mobile phone charger or
Macbook/laptop charger for power should do. Most RPi users should
already have a SD card and other peripherals lying around - or simply
RDP/SSH into the PRi and no extra peripherals are needed.

One or two less takeaway Lattes (coffee) for one month and you paid for
your HDMI cable or dedicated power supply. ;-)

I still think the RPi is an amazing accomplishment. My old company has
done some amazing things with the original RPi v1's (I still have one too).

Regards,
  Graeme

Re: [Lazarus] Now Available Raspberry Pi 4 /Lazarus has problem with it

Am 24.06.2019 um 09:17 schrieb Anthony Walter via lazarus:
[...]

Hi, all,

with the Pi 4 a new OS version appeared, Raspian Buster. On this I selected "Add/Remove Software" and clicked on "IDE for Free Pascal - Suite / lazarus -2.0-2.0.0-dfsg-2".

Lazarus 2 was installed and I clicked on "IDE starten". But then this error message appeared:

"The package EditorMacroScript (pascalscript macros) has detected a problem and was deactivated. The package failed it's selftest with the message 'Replace All [Exc: True / Got_ False]'"

How to fix?

Regards --  Joe

Regards --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Now Available Raspberry Pi 4

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 06:35:40 +0100, Graeme Geldenhuys via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I still think the RPi is an amazing accomplishment. My old company has
>done some amazing things with the original RPi v1's (I still have one too).

Me too!
I think I have 10+ RPi units now, probably from all versions including
the one one had to que for when it was initially released.

Can´t wait until the RPi4 is available in a store near me....