[Lazarus] New XML format for project info files - disabled by default

[Lazarus] New XML format for project info files - disabled by default

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hello Juha & Werner,

I see you disabled the new item format for project info files by default
on Werner's request. I understand that the first version wasn't ideal -
if you needed to open a project in 2.1 and 2.0/1.8 you always had to
check the compatibility mode when opened in 2.1.

But the current version is not ideal either - most people do not open
projects in legacy versions and they have to disable compatibility mode
for every new project manually.

I came up with a reasonable solution:
1.) set CompatibilityMode automatically for legacy projects.
2.) disable CompatibilityMode for new projects.

That should be good for everybody - the CompatibilityMode flag doesn't
get lost if you open&save a project in a legacy Lazarus version and new
projects use the new format.

See https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35262

Best
Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] New XML format for project info files - disabled by default

Am 24.03.2019 um 10:51 schrieb Ondrej Pokorny via lazarus:

> Hello Juha & Werner,
>
> I see you disabled the new item format for project info files by
> default on Werner's request. I understand that the first version
> wasn't ideal - if you needed to open a project in 2.1 and 2.0/1.8 you
> always had to check the compatibility mode when opened in 2.1.
>
> But the current version is not ideal either - most people do not open
> projects in legacy versions and they have to disable compatibility
> mode for every new project manually.
>
> I came up with a reasonable solution:
> 1.) set CompatibilityMode automatically for legacy projects.
> 2.) disable CompatibilityMode for new projects.
>
> That should be good for everybody - the CompatibilityMode flag doesn't
> get lost if you open&save a project in a legacy Lazarus version and
> new projects use the new format.
>
> See https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35262
>
> Best
> Ondrej

Yes, sounds reasonable.

Re: [Lazarus] New XML format for project info files - disabled by default

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 5:06 PM Werner Pamler via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, sounds reasonable.
+1
The report is actually

As Werner noted earlier, the package .lpk files and parts of project
.lpi files should also be changed.
Namely:
- RequiredPackages
- Debugging/Exceptions
- RunParams/Modes

I am planning to do so in future. If Ondrej wants to look at it, fine
with me, too.

On 24.03.2019 17:25, Juha Manninen via lazarus wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 5:06 PM Werner Pamler via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes, sounds reasonable.
> +1
> The report is actually
>   https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35267
>
> As Werner noted earlier, the package .lpk files and parts of project
> .lpi files should also be changed.
> Namely:
> - RequiredPackages
> - Debugging/Exceptions
> - RunParams/Modes
>
> I am planning to do so in future. If Ondrej wants to look at it, fine
> with me, too.

Yes, there are several places where numbered item lists are used that
are still a To-Do. I plan to do it, if you won't be faster. It's good
that we have now the basic feature in trunk to test.

Ondrej