[Lazarus] Modal windows on Cocoa

I am not sure whether this is a bug of the cocoa widgetset, or whether this
is a general limitation of the Mac.

Imagine a main form, which shows a modal form. The modal form shows a
message dialog (ShowMessage or MessageDlg, it makes no difference).

This works perfectly on Linux and Windows.

If you do this on a Mac, then the program hangs: there is no way to press
the OK button in the message dialog.

Is this a limitation of the Mac ?
I have never seen a Mac program do this kind of thing, so I could imagine
that this is a limitation, but admittedly my experience on the Mac is not
as big as on PC...

I made a small sample program to demonstrate the issue:
http://www.freepascal.org/~michael/modalbug.zip

If this is supposed to work, and it's actually a bug in the cocoa widgetset
I will post it to the bugtracker.

[Lazarus] {Spam?} Re: Modal windows on Cocoa

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On 13.11.2016 19:52, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure whether this is a bug of the cocoa widgetset, or whether this
> is a general limitation of the Mac.
>
> Imagine a main form, which shows a modal form. The modal form shows a
> message dialog (ShowMessage or MessageDlg, it makes no difference).
>
> This works perfectly on Linux and Windows.
>
> If you do this on a Mac, then the program hangs: there is no way to press
> the OK button in the message dialog.
>
> Is this a limitation of the Mac ? I have never seen a Mac program do
> this kind of thing, so I could imagine
> that this is a limitation, but admittedly my experience on the Mac is
> not as big as on PC...

I'm still using Qt-4.8.6 (QtCarbon 32bit) for production under mac and
it does not have single problem with such windows, also tested with
Qt-5.6.2 (QtCocoa 64bit) and there it works correct too, so doesn't look
like limitation :)

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] {Spam?} Re: Modal windows on Cocoa

On Sun, 13 Nov 2016, zeljko wrote:

> On 13.11.2016 19:52, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am not sure whether this is a bug of the cocoa widgetset, or whether this
>> is a general limitation of the Mac.
>>
>> Imagine a main form, which shows a modal form. The modal form shows a
>> message dialog (ShowMessage or MessageDlg, it makes no difference).
>>
>> This works perfectly on Linux and Windows.
>>
>> If you do this on a Mac, then the program hangs: there is no way to press
>> the OK button in the message dialog.
>>
>> Is this a limitation of the Mac ? I have never seen a Mac program do
>> this kind of thing, so I could imagine
>> that this is a limitation, but admittedly my experience on the Mac is
>> not as big as on PC...
>
> I'm still using Qt-4.8.6 (QtCarbon 32bit) for production under mac and it
> does not have single problem with such windows, also tested with Qt-5.6.2
> (QtCocoa 64bit) and there it works correct too, so doesn't look like
> limitation :)

I didn't know that Qt could be used for mac.

It made me realize that I assumed I was using Cocoa, so I checked, and it
turns out it is Carbon, not cocoa :/

When I tried to change it, the IDE sends me to 'Additions and overrides'
But when I press 'Set LCLWidgetType', nothing visible happens, and the
IDE becomes unresponsive. (Presumably some dropdown list is hidden behind
the modal project options dialog...)

I need to switch to another application and back to the IDE, then it becomes
responsive again. Since the IDE is built using Carbon, it seems safe to
assume there is a bug in the Carbon widgetset.

On 14.11.2016 8:11, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> When I tried to change it, the IDE sends me to 'Additions and overrides'
> But when I press 'Set LCLWidgetType', nothing visible happens, and the
> IDE becomes unresponsive. (Presumably some dropdown list is hidden behind
> the modal project options dialog...)
>
> I need to switch to another application and back to the IDE, then it
> becomes
> responsive again. Since the IDE is built using Carbon, it seems safe to
> assume there is a bug in the Carbon widgetset.

This is a bug in 1.6.0. It's been already fixed so wait for 1.6.2 or use
1.6 fixes branch. I assume the modal problem is the same bug as well.

Ondrej

On Mon, 14 Nov 2016, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus wrote:

> On 14.11.2016 8:11, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
>> When I tried to change it, the IDE sends me to 'Additions and overrides'
>> But when I press 'Set LCLWidgetType', nothing visible happens, and the
>> IDE becomes unresponsive. (Presumably some dropdown list is hidden behind
>> the modal project options dialog...)
>>
>> I need to switch to another application and back to the IDE, then it
>> becomes
>> responsive again. Since the IDE is built using Carbon, it seems safe to
>> assume there is a bug in the Carbon widgetset.
>
> This is a bug in 1.6.0. It's been already fixed so wait for 1.6.2 or use
> 1.6 fixes branch. I assume the modal problem is the same bug as well.

Good news. When is 1.6.2 expected ?

On 14.11.2016 8:18, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> Good news. When is 1.6.2 expected ?

It's been already tagged so expect it soon. 1.6.2 took so long because
we waited for FPC 3.0.2.

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] {Spam?} Re: Modal windows on Cocoa

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, 14 Nov 2016 09:01:03 +0100
Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14.11.2016 8:18, Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus wrote:
> > Good news. When is 1.6.2 expected ?
>
> It's been already tagged so expect it soon. 1.6.2 took so long because
> we waited for FPC 3.0.2.

And stopped waiting and use 3.0.0 for 1.6.2.