[Lazarus] MariaDB, SQLConnection - Suse vs Debian

[Lazarus] MariaDB, SQLConnection - Suse vs Debian

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I have a project which uses a TMySQL56Connection to work with a MariaDB version 10.0.28 For unrelated reasons I moved it from an OpenSUSE LEAP 42.1 box to a Debian 8 one.

They have the same version of MariaDB (mysql -V reports "version 15.1 Distrib 10.0.28-MariaDB" in both cases).

Lazarus/FPC etc are installed in a private directory, not shared. I simply copied the dirtecory across. I can create and execute other projects as normal.

I transferred the databases, and using mysql from the command line everything looks as expected.

But when I attempt to access the databases from my project the MySQL 5.6 connector throws an error: "Cannot work with installed MySQL Client version; got 5.5.0 expected 5.6"

Using TMySQL55Connection doesn't work either: there is a more general error message, basically "unable to connect".

Identical dev. environment, code and databases - what's different?

Any thoughts?
TIA
Gordon

Re: [Lazarus] MariaDB, SQLConnection - Suse vs Debian

On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 8:28 PM, Gordon Findlay via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This means , without hesitation , MariaDB is not compliant to MySQL :

https://www.google.com/#q=compliant+meaning

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

Re: [Lazarus] MariaDB, SQLConnection - Suse vs Debian

leledumbo
Administrator

MariaDB 10.0 indeed maps to MySQL 5.6. But the installed client library is of version 5.5.0, which the connector refuse to use due to version difference. Install the same version for both client and server.

Re: [Lazarus] MariaDB, SQLConnection - Suse vs Debian

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
​​
Thanks - that is the problem.

In case anyone else encounters this, the issue is that Debian 8.0 (Jessie) installs Maria 10.0.28, which is MySQL 5.6 compatible, but version 5.5 of libmysqlclient18.so

Version 5.6 is available in the jessie-backports repository (see https://packages.debian.org/jessie-backports/libmysqlclient18