[Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

[Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Now it happened again!
I closed Lazarus on a Raspberry Pi4 accessed via VNC. Then I started
it again and now only the code editor window appears, all other
windows for my desktop have disappeared!!! :(

Question:
---------
In which file is the desktop settings saved?
I need to restore that file so I don't have to frequently start over
with a botched Lazarus desktop and reconfigure it as I like.

Note that the editor settings seem OK, at least by my custom color
scheme, which is present in the single window that now appears.

I did copy all of the *files* in ~/.lazarus_2.0.8 into archive
settings_20201221.tgz in a backup subdirectory on Dec 21, but I do not
know in which file Lazarus stores the desktop settings so I can
restore that file.

At the time I had saved the custom desktop by a name but that is no
longer available when I look at "Tools/Desktops.../Manage Desktops".

Lazarus 2.0.8 / Fpc 3.0.4 on Raspberry Pi4 (4GB RAM)

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I guess this settings are saved in the .lps file of your project.

In my own lps files, I can find the units opened in the code editor, my
debug watches ...

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 07:43:54 +0100, Jean SUZINEAU via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I guess this settings are saved in the .lps file of your project.
>
>In my own lps files, I can find the units opened in the code editor, my
>debug watches ...

I think I stated that the code editor is the *only window* that is now
visible and it contains the units I had open when I closed the
project.
All of that is present, but EVERYTHING ELSE I had set up is gone!

I was told earlier that the window arrangement (project options,
object inspector, code explorer, messages etc, etc) would be saved and
possible to return to if one saved the desktop under a name other than
default.

One can have several such desktops to choose from (optimized for GUI
app development or console app etc).

And the desktops are not tied to the projects, they are a Lazarus
configuration like the color scheme of the source editor etc.
So I assume the only related item that would be found in the project
lps file should be the *name* of the desktop to use.

So I saved my configured environment under such a name and it was
returned when I closed and then opened my project until yesterday when
it no longer was....

I want to restore it from my backup of Lazarus settings but I don't
know where Lazarus saves this information...

And I woud like to know *why* Lazarus loses this information, it is
not the first time it happened...

In fact I just opened a related Lazarus project (the client) on my
Windows 10 PC where I run the same 2.0.8/3.0.4 version of Lazarus.
Ant it too had lost its desktop settings and is now only displaying
the code editor, no other window visible!!!!!

Next I started Lazarus 2.0.10 on Windows 10 to check if that too has
lost the desktops, but in that case it has not!

Is this a known bug in Lazarus 2.0.8?

For example if the IDE is open across midnight and then closed does it
lose its desktop configuration? I have used both of the 2.0.8 Lazarus
(Windows and Raspberry) yesterday and I made sure to close them before
I want to bed since my PC would run a weekly backup overnight (not so
on the RPi).
So both were active at midnight but closed a bit later.
But my 2.0.10 Lazarus was *not* running, last time I used that was
yesterday morning.

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:12:20 +0100, Bo Berglund via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I want to restore it from my backup of Lazarus settings but I don't
>know where Lazarus saves this information...

So I searched in the config files that had changed the last day and
found environmentsoptions.xml contains a section for Desktop entries.
So I could restore that file from my backup made back in October and
now the Lazarus desktop operates properly again on Raspberry.

>And I would like to know *why* Lazarus loses this information, it is
>not the first time it happened...

Still what I need to know to understand what I should not do with
Lazarus since this has happened way to many times now.

On Windows I restored from the weekly backup made Dec 21st and got
that back too. When I did so I noticed that the timestamp of the file
(modification) was from October even though the backup is from Dec
21st.

But on both of my Lazarus 2.0.8 installs (Windows and Raspberry) the
timestamp had been set to today on the broken file, so obviously the
environment file was rewritten in the last 24 hours for some strange
reason on both Windows and Raspberry and losing the desktop settings
at that time.

WHY?

THe only item I have changed recently on both of the installations is
the number of recent projects to show in the list from the default 5
to 10.
I believe I have modified that on both Windows and Raspberry possibly
causing a rewrite of the environment file (and then losing the
desktops).

I have both the broken and the backed up file available if someone is
able to use that to decode what could have happened...

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 00:11:45 +0100
Bo Berglund via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now it happened again!
> I closed Lazarus on a Raspberry Pi4 accessed via VNC. Then I started
> it again and now only the code editor window appears, all other
> windows for my desktop have disappeared!!! :(
>
> Question:
> ---------
> In which file is the desktop settings saved?

environmentoptions.xml

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:12:20 +0100
Bo Berglund via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> And I woud like to know *why* Lazarus loses this information, it is
> not the first time it happened...

Maybe your windows are on another screen.
Try in menu  Window / Center a lost window / ...

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 11:09:57 +0100, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 09:12:20 +0100
>Bo Berglund via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>[...]
>> And I woud like to know *why* Lazarus loses this information, it is
>> not the first time it happened...
>
>Maybe your windows are on another screen.
>Try in menu  Window / Center a lost window / ...
>
>Mattias

Well, restoring the environmentoptions.xml from my most recent backup
on both the Win10 and RPi4 systems gave me back my desktop with all of
the expected windows and placements.

Note that when I discovered this problem there was a smaller file
dated "just now" in the pcp directory and it contained no trace of the
desktop I used.
So the environment file had for some reason been rewritten with a
default content on *both* of my separate systems at the same basic
time....
Very strange.

And restoring from the last backup which held older files than the
backup date fixed the problem....

So now I have scripted the backup of the config dir so it is easier to
make a backup (on the RPi4).

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 12:31:48 +0100
Bo Berglund via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> Note that when I discovered this problem there was a smaller file
> dated "just now" in the pcp directory and it contained no trace of the
> desktop I used.

When the IDE starts, and there is no environmentoptions.xml file it
copies it from the secondary config directory. Maybe you are seeing
that?

When there is no desktop in the environmentoptions.xml the IDE should
show the default layout.

On 12/27/20 5:15 PM, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
> When the IDE starts, and there is no environmentoptions.xml file it
> copies it from the secondary config directory. Maybe you are seeing
> that?

i think one of the main questions is "how does that file come up missing on a
long time working installation in the first place?" especially since Laz is the
only thing to touch it...

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:58:58 -0500
wkitty42--- via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/27/20 5:15 PM, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
> > When the IDE starts, and there is no environmentoptions.xml file it
> > copies it from the secondary config directory. Maybe you are seeing
> > that?
>
> i think one of the main questions is "how does that file come up
> missing on a long time working installation in the first place?"
> especially since Laz is the only thing to touch it...

Was the file missing, or only the desktop node?

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 01:35:54 +0100, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:58:58 -0500
>wkitty42--- via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 12/27/20 5:15 PM, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
>> > When the IDE starts, and there is no environmentoptions.xml file it
>> > copies it from the secondary config directory. Maybe you are seeing
>> > that?

Where is this "secondary config dir" located?
I did not know it exists...

>> i think one of the main questions is "how does that file come up
>> missing on a long time working installation in the first place?"
>> especially since Laz is the only thing to touch it...
>
>Was the file missing, or only the desktop node?

Impossible to know since I do not look in the config dir every time
before starting Lazarus...

The file had changed its date from an earlier time (months ago) to the
current time, and there was no sign of any custom desktop settings in
it.

The only thing I think is in common between these instances, which
happened on both Windows and Linux, is that I have used the
Tools/Options to increase the count for recent projects from the
default 5 to 10. I always seem to get a project I want to open
disappear from that list when it only holds 5 recent projects.

I believe I did so on both Lazarus installations.

So what does Lazarus do when one changes this value?
Does it rewrite the environment file based on the default or what?
I made a test to check this (since using the backup file brought back
the 5 files limit):
It seems like it rewrites the environment fiile by changing the 5 to
10 but also by changing the sequence of some xml nodes...

But it does not visibly affect the way Lazarus looks when starting up
again.

Re: [Lazarus] Losing desktop when restarting Lazarus - where are desktop settings saved?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 11:21:00 +0100
Bo Berglund via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 01:35:54 +0100, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 18:58:58 -0500
> >wkitty42--- via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Where is this "secondary config dir" located?

See
View - IDE Internals - About IDE

>[...]
> The only thing I think is in common between these instances, which
> happened on both Windows and Linux, is that I have used the
> Tools/Options to increase the count for recent projects from the
> default 5 to 10. I always seem to get a project I want to open
> disappear from that list when it only holds 5 recent projects.

Same here. I have 30,30.
This is unrelated with the desktop issue.
The env file is written pretty often.

>[...] I believe I did so on both Lazarus installations.
>
> So what does Lazarus do when one changes this value?
> Does it rewrite the environment file based on the default or what?
> I made a test to check this (since using the backup file brought back
> the 5 files limit):
> It seems like it rewrites the environment fiile by changing the 5 to
> 10 but also by changing the sequence of some xml nodes...

If your backup is months old, then maybe some functions in the IDE
changed, changing the order.

> But it does not visibly affect the way Lazarus looks when starting up
> again.

Restart lazarus making sure the config is working.
Make a backup of environmentoptions.xml.
When the next time it happens, send the backup and the current
version.