[Lazarus] Linux GNU Debugger Freezing App on Run

[Lazarus] Linux GNU Debugger Freezing App on Run

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Has anyone else experienced the following problem?

I continually have a problem where running a program on Linux with the GNU debugger through Lazarus results in either no control showing on my form or controls show but everything is frozen.

This happens occasionally, probably on about 50% of the times I run and program through Lazarus with debugging on. This happens with any program I create with Lazarus on Linux when running an app through the IDE with debugging on. If I turn off debugging or run my application through the Linux desktop, it runs fine without any of the freezing.

So it would seem this problem is tied to Lazarus and how it interacts with the GNU debugger. I have tried many version of Lazarus through SVN and I get the same behavior. I am on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit Linux.

My gdb debugger version is GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.11.1-0ubuntu1~16.5) 7.11.1
My Linux kernel version is Linux 4.15.0-88-generic

Re: [Lazarus] Linux GNU Debugger Freezing App on Run

On 09/03/2020 11:45, Anthony Walter via lazarus wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced the following problem?
>
> I continually have a problem where running a program on Linux with the
> GNU debugger through Lazarus results in either no control showing on
> my form or controls show but everything is frozen.
>
> This happens occasionally, probably on about 50% of the times I run
> and program through Lazarus with debugging on. This happens with any
> program I create with Lazarus on Linux when running an app through the
> IDE with debugging on. If I turn off debugging or run my application
> through the Linux desktop, it runs fine without any of the freezing.
>
> So it would seem this problem is tied to Lazarus and how it interacts
> with the GNU debugger. I have tried many version of Lazarus through
> SVN and I get the same behavior. I am on Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit Linux.
>
> My gdb debugger version is GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.11.1-0ubuntu1~16.5) 7.11.1
> My Linux kernel version is Linux 4.15.0-88-generic

What happens if you start your app in gdb, but outside Lazarus?
gdb -i mi ./project1

Additionally please provide (for a frozen run):
https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/GDB_Debugger_Tips#Log_info_for_debug_session

If your app contains private data, and you are concerned about any of it
leaking in the log, feel free to sent the log in private mail.
(Same if it is too big for the list)

Re: [Lazarus] Linux GNU Debugger Freezing App on Run

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Thanks for that help Martin. It would seem gdb itself is hanging and it's tied to some code in my library that was problematic previously. I don't believe I am doing anything wrong, but it's related to a problem I had with gdb. I will research further to try to isolate the exact cause.