[Lazarus] Lazbuild and configuration files

[Lazarus] Lazbuild and configuration files

Mark Morgan Lloyd
I've got a handful of systems here where, for various reasons, I run
lazbuild rather than the IDE when I want to compile a project for test
purposes. In general this works well.

A couple of days ago I ran lazbuild on a system where I do occasionally
run the IDE, but found myself in trouble because I had changed the name
of the Lazarus directory.

In a situation like this, the options appear to be (i) run the IDE or
(ii) edit the XML configuration file by hand. Is there a (iii), e.g. a
parameter to lazbuild that tells it to update a configuration file
before it uses its contents?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Lazbuild and configuration files

Mattias Gaertner
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 22:39:47 +0000
Mark Morgan Lloyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a handful of systems here where, for various reasons, I run
> lazbuild rather than the IDE when I want to compile a project for test
> purposes. In general this works well.
>
> A couple of days ago I ran lazbuild on a system where I do occasionally
> run the IDE, but found myself in trouble because I had changed the name
> of the Lazarus directory.
>
> In a situation like this, the options appear to be (i) run the IDE or
> (ii) edit the XML configuration file by hand. Is there a (iii), e.g. a
> parameter to lazbuild that tells it to update a configuration file
> before it uses its contents?

Not yet.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazbuild and configuration files

Marcos Douglas
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a handful of systems here where, for various reasons, I run
> lazbuild rather than the IDE when I want to compile a project for test
> purposes. In general this works well.
>
> A couple of days ago I ran lazbuild on a system where I do occasionally run
> the IDE, but found myself in trouble because I had changed the name of the
> Lazarus directory.
>
> In a situation like this, the options appear to be (i) run the IDE or (ii)
> edit the XML configuration file by hand. Is there a (iii), e.g. a parameter
> to lazbuild that tells it to update a configuration file before it uses its
> contents?

I use my Lazarus in my PC, of course, and from HD external too.
This HD always have to execute in W: driver, on Windows. So, I made a
BAT to not have config files errors:
@echo off

set mypath=%cd%
set mylaz=%mypath%\ide\laz\0.9.29

cd \

if /i %cd% equ W:\ (
  cd %mylaz%
  start lazarus --pcp=%mypath%\ide\laz\config
) else (
  echo "invalid driver"
  pause
)

Marcos Douglas

Marcos Douglas wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've got a handful of systems here where, for various reasons, I run
>> lazbuild rather than the IDE when I want to compile a project for test
>> purposes. In general this works well.
>>
>> A couple of days ago I ran lazbuild on a system where I do occasionally run
>> the IDE, but found myself in trouble because I had changed the name of the
>> Lazarus directory.
>>
>> In a situation like this, the options appear to be (i) run the IDE or (ii)
>> edit the XML configuration file by hand. Is there a (iii), e.g. a parameter
>> to lazbuild that tells it to update a configuration file before it uses its
>> contents?
>
> I use my Lazarus in my PC, of course, and from HD external too.
> This HD always have to execute in W: driver, on Windows. So, I made a
> BAT to not have config files errors:
> @echo off
>
> set mypath=%cd%
> set mylaz=%mypath%\ide\laz\0.9.29
>
> cd \
>
> if /i %cd% equ W:\ (
>   cd %mylaz%
>   start lazarus --pcp=%mypath%\ide\laz\config
> ) else (
>   echo "invalid driver"
>   pause
> )

I've got several different versions of Lazarus, each with its preferred
version of FPC and each started with --pcp. That works fine, but then I
went and changed a directory name from \usr\local\share\lazarus-testing
to \usr\local\share\lazarus-newstable and recompiled, whereupon all the
binaries were fine but the configuration file needed changing.

Now it happens that on that machine I could have run the IDE to make the
changes, but on a couple of others doing that would be inconvenient or
impossible.