[Lazarus] Lazarus program files very big, why?

[Lazarus] Lazarus program files very big, why?

Bo Berglund
I installed Lazarus on my Pi2B (see other therad) and am now using fpc
3.1.1 and Lazarus 1.5. I also installed tightvnc for GUI access via
VNC from my Win7 PC.

My first test program on the Pi2B is a GUI application with 2 edit
boxes and 2 buttons to test MD5 calculations. One button calculates
MD5 of a text in one edit box and displays on the other.
The other button calculates the MD5 of the Application.Exename (its
own executable file) and displays the executable file name in one edit
box and MD5 in the other. Total lines of code in the two events are 7.

Amazingly this little program is 24.5 Mbytes as shown:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24493881 Oct  3 21:35 project1

So my questions are:
1) Why is Lazarus creating such an enormously big executable file?
2) Why is it placing the project files in /root/tmp?
Why not in /home/pi/something_or_other?

Is this normal or have I installed Lazarus in some strange way that
bypasses the user Pi?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus program files very big, why?

Luca Olivetti
El 04/10/15 a les 00:06, Bo Berglund ha escrit:

> Amazingly this little program is 24.5 Mbytes as shown:
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24493881 Oct  3 21:35 project1

http://bfy.tw/26s2

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus program files very big, why?

Mark Morgan Lloyd
Bo Berglund wrote:

> I installed Lazarus on my Pi2B (see other therad) and am now using fpc
> 3.1.1 and Lazarus 1.5. I also installed tightvnc for GUI access via
> VNC from my Win7 PC.
>
> My first test program on the Pi2B is a GUI application with 2 edit
> boxes and 2 buttons to test MD5 calculations. One button calculates
> MD5 of a text in one edit box and displays on the other.
> The other button calculates the MD5 of the Application.Exename (its
> own executable file) and displays the executable file name in one edit
> box and MD5 in the other. Total lines of code in the two events are 7.
>
> Amazingly this little program is 24.5 Mbytes as shown:
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24493881 Oct  3 21:35 project1
>
> So my questions are:
> 1) Why is Lazarus creating such an enormously big executable file?
> 2) Why is it placing the project files in /root/tmp?
> Why not in /home/pi/something_or_other?
>
> Is this normal or have I installed Lazarus in some strange way that
> bypasses the user Pi?

Remove debug into at the project level, or run strip on the binary. note
the  install  program's -s option, but that usually assumes that it can
call  strip  to do the work which might not be the case on a
non-development machine.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus program files very big, why?

leledumbo
Administrator
> 1) Why is Lazarus creating such an enormously big executable file?

Always read FAQ before asking:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_Faq#Why_are_the_generated_binaries_so_big.3F

> 2) Why is it placing the project files in /root/tmp?
Why not in /home/pi/something_or_other?

The setting is in Tools->Options->Environments->Files->Directory for building test projects, which defaults to tmp folder of your currently logged in user account.

Other than FAQ, reading other existing documentation is essential:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/IDE_Window:_Environment_Options#Files

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus program files very big, why?

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 00:06:00 +0200
Bo Berglund <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> 2) Why is it placing the project files in /root/tmp?
> Why not in /home/pi/something_or_other?

The default is ~/tmp. If you start Lazarus as root and root's home
is /root then this is /root/tmp.