[Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

[Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I have installed FPC 3.0.4/Lazarus 2.0.6 from sources retrieved by SVN
onto a repurposed HP EliteBook 8440w laptop where I have installed
Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.

Lazarus starts up OK and I can build an application, which I have
created in Windows (project sources retrieved via SVN onto the
laptop). Things seem to work pretty well, if not perfect.

However I have been annoyed by one thing that is really disturbing:

If I minimize Lazarus using the minimize button in the upper right
corner of the main window (where the menu and all component tabs are)
then all other windows are also minimized as expected.
But if I restore the main window by clicking on its placeholder in the
bottom bar, then ONLY that window appears, all others remain minimized
and I have to click on each and every of these to get them back.

What have I missed here? Is there a setting I have overlooked?

I have never seen this in Windows and also not on RaspberryPi with
Raspbian Wheezy-Jessie-Pixel-Buster. All have worked the same as on
Windows in this respect.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
I use /lazarus/components/anchordocking/design/anchordockingdsgn.lpk and
there is in Kontextmenue of minimized App "restore all"

Perhaps useful ?!!

Am 12.04.20 um 11:45 schrieb Bo Berglund via lazarus:

> I have installed FPC 3.0.4/Lazarus 2.0.6 from sources retrieved by SVN
> onto a repurposed HP EliteBook 8440w laptop where I have installed
> Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
>
> Lazarus starts up OK and I can build an application, which I have
> created in Windows (project sources retrieved via SVN onto the
> laptop). Things seem to work pretty well, if not perfect.
>
> However I have been annoyed by one thing that is really disturbing:
>
> If I minimize Lazarus using the minimize button in the upper right
> corner of the main window (where the menu and all component tabs are)
> then all other windows are also minimized as expected.
> But if I restore the main window by clicking on its placeholder in the
> bottom bar, then ONLY that window appears, all others remain minimized
> and I have to click on each and every of these to get them back.
>
> What have I missed here? Is there a setting I have overlooked?
>
> I have never seen this in Windows and also not on RaspberryPi with
> Raspbian Wheezy-Jessie-Pixel-Buster. All have worked the same as on
> Windows in this respect.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 11:53:36 +0200, John Landmesser via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 12.04.20 um 11:45 schrieb Bo Berglund via lazarus:
>> I have installed FPC 3.0.4/Lazarus 2.0.6 from sources retrieved by SVN
>> onto a repurposed HP EliteBook 8440w laptop where I have installed
>> Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
>>
>> Lazarus starts up OK and I can build an application, which I have
>> created in Windows (project sources retrieved via SVN onto the
>> laptop). Things seem to work pretty well, if not perfect.
>>
>> However I have been annoyed by one thing that is really disturbing:
>>
>> If I minimize Lazarus using the minimize button in the upper right
>> corner of the main window (where the menu and all component tabs are)
>> then all other windows are also minimized as expected.
>> But if I restore the main window by clicking on its placeholder in the
>> bottom bar, then ONLY that window appears, all others remain minimized
>> and I have to click on each and every of these to get them back.
>>
>> What have I missed here? Is there a setting I have overlooked?
>>
>> I have never seen this in Windows and also not on RaspberryPi with
>> Raspbian Wheezy-Jessie-Pixel-Buster. All have worked the same as on
>> Windows in this respect.

 Changing from top- to bottom-posting to make it more readable..

>I use /lazarus/components/anchordocking/design/anchordockingdsgn.lpk and
>there is in Kontextmenue of minimized App "restore all"
>
>Perhaps useful ?!!

Well, I don't know...

The way Lazarus works now is like Delphi7 used to work and I was put
off when they introduced Delphi2006, with the integrated window where
the components panel disappeared too. I suspect that the anchordocking
does just what D2006 did?

I just wondered why in Ubuntu the minimize-restore operation does not
work when it does on Windows and Raspbian...

Especially if there is a user setting I have overlooked somewhere?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

El 12/4/20 a les 11:45, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha escrit:

> I have installed FPC 3.0.4/Lazarus 2.0.6 from sources retrieved by SVN
> onto a repurposed HP EliteBook 8440w laptop where I have installed
> Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
>
> Lazarus starts up OK and I can build an application, which I have
> created in Windows (project sources retrieved via SVN onto the
> laptop). Things seem to work pretty well, if not perfect.
>
> However I have been annoyed by one thing that is really disturbing:
>
> If I minimize Lazarus using the minimize button in the upper right
> corner of the main window (where the menu and all component tabs are)
> then all other windows are also minimized as expected.
> But if I restore the main window by clicking on its placeholder in the
> bottom bar, then ONLY that window appears, all others remain minimized
> and I have to click on each and every of these to get them back.
>
> What have I missed here? Is there a setting I have overlooked?
>
> I have never seen this in Windows and also not on RaspberryPi with
> Raspbian Wheezy-Jessie-Pixel-Buster. All have worked the same as on
> Windows in this respect.

I suppose it depends on the window manager/desktop environment.
FWIW it doesn't happen here with kubuntu 19.10 and lazarus 2.0.6 (though
I compiled it with fpc 3.2RC1 instead of 3.0.4 but I don't think that
makes a difference).

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 21:38:25 +0200, Luca Olivetti via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>El 12/4/20 a les 11:45, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha escrit:
>> I have installed FPC 3.0.4/Lazarus 2.0.6 from sources retrieved by SVN
>> onto a repurposed HP EliteBook 8440w laptop where I have installed
>> Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS.
>>
>> Lazarus starts up OK and I can build an application, which I have
>> created in Windows (project sources retrieved via SVN onto the
>> laptop). Things seem to work pretty well, if not perfect.
>>
>> However I have been annoyed by one thing that is really disturbing:
>>
>> If I minimize Lazarus using the minimize button in the upper right
>> corner of the main window (where the menu and all component tabs are)
>> then all other windows are also minimized as expected.
>> But if I restore the main window by clicking on its placeholder in the
>> bottom bar, then ONLY that window appears, all others remain minimized
>> and I have to click on each and every of these to get them back.
>>
>> What have I missed here? Is there a setting I have overlooked?
>>
>> I have never seen this in Windows and also not on RaspberryPi with
>> Raspbian Wheezy-Jessie-Pixel-Buster. All have worked the same as on
>> Windows in this respect.
>>

>I suppose it depends on the window manager/desktop environment.
>FWIW it doesn't happen here with kubuntu 19.10 and lazarus 2.0.6 (though
>I compiled it with fpc 3.2RC1 instead of 3.0.4 but I don't think that
>makes a difference).

I have a standard Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS desktop install except I have
also installed the classic gnome extension in order to get an
application menu, which I am used to.
I did this:

sudo apt install gnome-shell-extensions

Then I had to log out and back in after changing the desktop I was
logging on to on the login screen.

Now my Lazarus shows up in the Programming category of the main menu
as it should.

If I log on to the normal Ubuntu then I have to search for Lazarus
every time I want to start it, which is very strange.

I did a test now and logged on to the standard desktop and started
Lazarus.
Then I minimized it and when I clicked on the Lazarus icon on the
sidebar (where running applications are shown) a new panel popped up
where I could choose from the 5 different windows Lazarus had
created...
The one I clicked on would show up alone, not very useful...

Even if I select the main window then only that will be shown.

I don't know if this is a problem with Ubuntu or with Lazarus on
Ubuntu but it is rather annoying in any case.
A workaround would be useful (maybe use Linux Mint instead?)

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 22:16:06 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I don't know if this is a problem with Ubuntu or with Lazarus on
>Ubuntu but it is rather annoying in any case.

I found a setting I believed to handle this:
Tools/Options/Window
There is a setting "Show single button in TaskBar"

It looked promising but I checked it and all looked and worked as
before even after restarting Lazarus...

What is the purpose of this setting?

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 12/4/20 a les 22:24, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha escrit:

> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 22:16:06 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this is a problem with Ubuntu or with Lazarus on
>> Ubuntu but it is rather annoying in any case.
>
> I found a setting I believed to handle this:
> Tools/Options/Window
> There is a setting "Show single button in TaskBar"
>
> It looked promising but I checked it and all looked and worked as
> before even after restarting Lazarus...
>
> What is the purpose of this setting?

As I said I use kubuntu (ubuntu with kde desktop) where this problem
doesn't arise (but only if I restore the main window, any other window
only restores itself), so I suppose it's a similar feature of the kde
taskbar, its purpose it to show only one instance of various similar
windows on the taskbar to save space.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Ubuntu 18 does not restore all minimized windows with the main window

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 23:22:48 +0200, Luca Olivetti via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>El 12/4/20 a les 22:24, Bo Berglund via lazarus ha escrit:
>> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 22:16:06 +0200, Bo Berglund via lazarus
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if this is a problem with Ubuntu or with Lazarus on
>>> Ubuntu but it is rather annoying in any case.

>As I said I use kubuntu (ubuntu with kde desktop) where this problem
>doesn't arise (but only if I restore the main window, any other window
>only restores itself), so I suppose it's a similar feature of the kde
>taskbar, its purpose it to show only one instance of various similar
>windows on the taskbar to save space.

Hi Luca!
I have now solved this problem by installing the MATE desktop handler
in my Ubuntu 18.04 laptop!
https://itsfoss.com/install-mate-desktop-ubuntu/

After it was done I now have a much more useful environment (in my
view as a programmer in any case) and there is no more
minimize/restore problem. It works exactly as in Windows and Raspbian
Buster concerning the window handling.

So I did not have to start over altogether but can still keep what I
have done so far.