[Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Michael Schnell
I switched from Open Suse 11.1 to open Suse 11.4.

I reinstalled fpc and Lazarus from the svn.

Now I recompiled my EventTest application and found some funny stuff.

1) I can't compile it with fpGZUI and GTK (1) Widget Type any more.

I was able (auto-) compile the appropriate packages before the switch

2) When compiling it with the gkt2 (default) Widget Type I find that the
CheckBox buttons are bigger than I was used to.

What forces this different look ?

3) with GTK2 TThread.Synchronize and PostMessage now seem to work fine.

Did anybody fix this bug recently ?

4) QueAsyncCall still does not work. (A call is only issued when some
GUI event happens.)

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Juha Manninen
Michael Schnell kirjoitti maanantai 14 maaliskuu 2011 16:09:42:
> I switched from Open Suse 11.1 to open Suse 11.4.

I tried it also but some webmail pages don't work with any browser there.
I can run the same pages with my Fedora which otherwise needs lots of
tweaking.
I have no idea how to fix the issues in OpenSuse.
I will try Kubuntu next. Pity, OpenSuse is very polished otherwise.

> I reinstalled fpc and Lazarus from the svn.
> Now I recompiled my EventTest application and found some funny stuff.
> 1) I can't compile it with fpGZUI and GTK (1) Widget Type any more.
> I was able (auto-) compile the appropriate packages before the switch

I broke it temporarily when changing Assertions to DebugLns.
Should be fixed now.
Can you test with the latest trunk and tell where you have problems.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

zeljko
 On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:09:42 +0100, Michael Schnell
 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I switched from Open Suse 11.1 to open Suse 11.4.
>
> I reinstalled fpc and Lazarus from the svn.
>
> Now I recompiled my EventTest application and found some funny stuff.
>
> 1) I can't compile it with fpGZUI and GTK (1) Widget Type any more.
>
> I was able (auto-) compile the appropriate packages before the switch

 Juha already mentioned why it is so.

> 2) When compiling it with the gkt2 (default) Widget Type I find that
> the CheckBox buttons are bigger than I was used to.
>
> What forces this different look ?

 Gtk2 theme can do that.

> 3) with GTK2 TThread.Synchronize and PostMessage now seem to work
> fine.
>
> Did anybody fix this bug recently ?

 Yes, I've fixed that few months ago.

> 4) QueAsyncCall still does not work. (A call is only issued when some
> GUI event happens.)

 Don't know anything about this.

 zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Henry Vermaak
On 14 March 2011 15:31,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:09:42 +0100, Michael Schnell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I switched from Open Suse 11.1 to open Suse 11.4.
>>
>> I reinstalled fpc and Lazarus from the svn.
>>
>> Now I recompiled my EventTest application and found some funny stuff.
>>
>> 1) I can't compile it with fpGZUI and GTK (1) Widget Type any more.
>>
>> I was able (auto-) compile the appropriate packages before the switch
>
> Juha already mentioned why it is so.
>

>> 2) When compiling it with the gkt2 (default) Widget Type I find that
>> the CheckBox buttons are bigger than I was used to.
>>
>> What forces this different look ?
>
> Gtk2 theme can do that.
>

>> 3) with GTK2 TThread.Synchronize and PostMessage now seem to work fine.
>>
>> Did anybody fix this bug recently ?
>
> Yes, I've fixed that few months ago.
>

>> 4) QueAsyncCall still does not work. (A call is only issued when some
>> GUI event happens.)
>
> Don't know anything about this.

I think he means this:  http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=13120

It's wrong to say "still does not work", though, especially if there
are easy workarounds.

Henry

On 03/14/2011 03:22 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:

> I tried it also but some webmail pages don't work with any browser there.
> I can run the same pages with my Fedora which otherwise needs lots of
> tweaking.
> I have no idea how to fix the issues in OpenSuse.
I don't see how FireFox would run different in Suse than in Fedora.

Suse 11.4 comes with FireFox 4 Beta. While I did not see many issues
with same, I am sure that there are some. But you should be able to
downgrade to 3.x.

> Should be fixed now.
> Can you test with the latest trunk and tell where you have problems.
Did not work yet.

I'll retest tomorrow...

On 03/14/2011 04:31 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Yes, I've fixed that few months ago.

A few months ????

I tested this I think two weeks ago and it did not work and I posted my
results here.

Seemingly something with my upgrading did not work as expected :-( .

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Michael Schnell
On 03/14/2011 04:31 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Yes, I've fixed that few months ago.
>

>> 4) QueAsyncCall still does not work. (A call is only issued when some
>> GUI event happens.)
>
> Don't know anything about this.

I feel that PostMessage and TApplication.QueueAsyncCall, which
essentially do the same stuff, are closely connected. Maybe you are able
to fix QueueAsyncCall, as well, or reimpliment one or both of these
functions doing PostMessage on top of QueueAsyncCall (or maybe vice versa).

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Michael Schnell
On 03/14/2011 03:22 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Should be fixed now.
> Can you test with the latest trunk and tell where you have problems.
I just testes with the latest fpGUI from the git. gitk shows the latest
commit by 2001-03-08, so the files I have do not show your changes.

The error message I get is:

PPU Loading
/home/mschnell/Downloads/svn/lazarus/trunk/lcl/units/i386-linux/fpgui/fpg_impl.ppu
PPU Source: fpg_impl.pas not found
Recompiling fpg_impl, checksum changed for System
fpgui/corelib/fpg_base.pas(27,3) Fatal: Can't find unit fpg_impl used by
fpg_base

Noneheless, when ctrl-clicking "fpg_impl" in uses, it takes me to the file.

-Michael

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Graeme Geldenhuys
Op 2011-03-15 10:47, Michael Schnell het geskryf:
> I just testes with the latest fpGUI from the git. gitk shows the latest
> commit by 2001-03-08, so the files I have do not show your changes.

             ^^^^^^^^^^^
I hope you meant 2011. ;-)

Regards,
   - Graeme -

Michael Schnell kirjoitti maanantai 14 maaliskuu 2011 18:31:13:

> On 03/14/2011 03:22 PM, Juha Manninen wrote:
> > I tried it also but some webmail pages don't work with any browser there.
> > I can run the same pages with my Fedora which otherwise needs lots of
> > tweaking.
> > I have no idea how to fix the issues in OpenSuse.
>
> I don't see how FireFox would run different in Suse than in Fedora.
>
> Suse 11.4 comes with FireFox 4 Beta. While I did not see many issues
> with same, I am sure that there are some. But you should be able to
> downgrade to 3.x.

Downgrading is not possible from Suse repos. Installing it from elsewhere
(even from source) is possible though.

I suspected plugin issues. Java or Flash support is often broken.
However the web-mail page is supposed to have only JavaScript. The page shows
but e-mail messages not. It only shows a "wait"-cursot eternally.
It happens with 2 different popular e-mail services. GMail and many others
work.

I have no idea how to fix it.
WWW and also Java are supposed to be platform independent. I was thinking
already a long time ago how Linux improves and will work for any task.
It seems the web-related things have gone worse, not better.

I even installed OpenSuse 11.4 to a friend of mine. I said you can do almost
anything with Linux that you can do with Windows.
Now neither his e-mail nor his online bank work. Right...
(The online bank is a complex Java app loaded by browser).
I will recommend Windows to everybody in future. At least all web-pages work
there.

For my own machine I will try Mint instead of Kubuntu. I need a system that
"just works". I need my brain capacity for other things than tweaking the OS.

> > Should be fixed now.
> > Can you test with the latest trunk and tell where you have problems.
>
> Did not work yet.

I hope the issues got solved and work now.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Suse 11.4

Michael Schnell
Silly me forgot to do" make" in the fpGUI directory.

-Michael