[Lazarus] Lazarus on Raspberry Pi

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
Hi All,

I haven't been active on this list for a long time, but I have been
still been using FPC/Lazarus - many thanks to all who who have been
making all the improvements.

I recently dipped my toe into Raspberry Pi, and successfully built
FPC (3.0.4) / Laz (2.0.8) using the instructions here:

https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Build_current_FPC_and_Lazarus_for_Raspbian

I have just upgraded my installation using the previously built FPC
(3.0.4) to build FPC 3.2.0 / Laz 2.0.10 (rather than go through the
process of getting the bootstrap compiler again as per the instructions)
I presume this is legitimate - it certainly worked - and if so, would it
be worth my writing this up on the wiki ?  I was all set to do so, but
I noticed a note at the end of the process suggesting one should repeat
the entire process each time.

cheers,
John Sunderland

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Raspberry Pi

On 2020-08-22 06:04, John via lazarus wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I haven't been active on this list for a long time, but I have been
> still been using FPC/Lazarus - many thanks to all who who have been
> making all the improvements.
>
> I recently dipped my toe into Raspberry Pi, and successfully built
> FPC (3.0.4) / Laz (2.0.8) using the instructions here:
>
> https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Build_current_FPC_and_Lazarus_for_Raspbian
>
> I have just upgraded my installation using the previously built FPC
> (3.0.4) to build FPC 3.2.0 / Laz 2.0.10 (rather than go through the
> process of getting the bootstrap compiler again as per the
> instructions)
> I presume this is legitimate - it certainly worked - and if so, would
> it
> be worth my writing this up on the wiki ?

Yes, any titles like "For version such and such" on the wiki
with instructions would be useful, as I have been meaning
to install these on my Pi's recently and haven't found much
a few months back.

Thanks

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Raspberry Pi

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 21:04:36 +1000, John via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I recently dipped my toe into Raspberry Pi, and successfully built
>FPC (3.0.4) / Laz (2.0.8) using the instructions here:
>
>https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Build_current_FPC_and_Lazarus_for_Raspbian

That is NOT an instruction on how to install Fpc/Lazarus on a
Raspberry Pi!
Rather it is an instruction on how to build an installation package
for the same platform. Used in order to *distribute* Fpc/Lazarus to
other users mainly.

Big difference and much more work than needed....

If you want to install Fpc/Lazarus in order to use it yourself and
update them going forward then the much simpler way to go is to:

- Check out sources from svn (also done in the instructions)
- Install the build essentials and dependencies via apt
- Get the seed compiler (needed only once on any given system)
- Use the make command in the source dirs to build
- Use the make command in the source dirs to install in your system
- Create the desktop entry for starting Lazarus

All of this can be done in a fairly small script which gives you an
upgradable installation based on svn updates.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

>I recently dipped my toe into Raspberry Pi, and successfully built
>FPC (3.0.4) / Laz (2.0.8) using the instructions here:
>
>https://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Build_current_FPC_and_Lazarus_for_Raspbian

That is NOT an instruction on how to install Fpc/Lazarus on a
Raspberry Pi!
Rather it is an instruction on how to build an installation package
for the same platform. Used in order to *distribute* Fpc/Lazarus to
other users mainly.

Big difference and much more work than needed....

If you want to install Fpc/Lazarus in order to use it yourself and
update them going forward then the much simpler way to go is to:

- Check out sources from svn (also done in the instructions)
- Install the build essentials and dependencies via apt
- Get the seed compiler (needed only once on any given system)
- Use the make command in the source dirs to build
- Use the make command in the source dirs to install in your system
- Create the desktop entry for starting Lazarus

All of this can be done in a fairly small script which gives you an
upgradable installation based on svn updates.

Is there such a published script which you can supply its link ?
If not , would you please add such a part into the above link ?

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus on Raspberry Pi

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:01:15 +0300, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>Is there such a published script which you can supply its link ?
>If not , would you please add such a part into the above link ?

I have published the link to my script and the seed compiler already
in this group.
But here is a link again:
http://blog.boberglund.com/