[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 3 of 2.0

[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 3 of 2.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
The Lazarus team is glad to announce the third release candidate of
Lazarus 2.0.

This release was built with FPC 3.0.4.
The previous release Lazarus 1.8.4 was built with FPC 3.0.4 as well.

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 2.0.x:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0_fixes_branch

Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_2.0.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.4

The release is available for download on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

Choose your CPU, OS, distro and then the "Lazarus 2.0RC3" directory.

Checksums for the SourceForge files:
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=checksums#2_0_0RC3

Minimum requirements:

Windows:
  2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
  gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.6 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

Mac OS X:
  10.5 to 10.12; Carbon (32bit), Cocoa (64bit, beta), qt and
  qt5 (32 or 64bit).

The svn tag is
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_2_0_0_RC3

For people who are blocked by SF, the Lazarus releases from SourceForge
are mirrored at: ftp://ftp.freepascal.org/pub/lazarus/releases/
and later at (after some time for synchronization)
http://mirrors.iwi.me/lazarus/

== Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==

In the past weeks the Lazarus team has stabilized the 2.0 fixes branch.
The resulting 2.0RC3 is now stable enough to be used by any one for
test purposes.

However many of the fixes and new features that where committed since
the release of 1.8 required changes to the code of existing features
too. While we have tested those ourself, there may still be problems
that only occur with very specific configurations or one project in a
million.

Yes, it may be that you are the only person with a project, that will
not work in the new IDE. So if you do not test, we can not fix it.

Please do not wait for the final release, in order to test. It may be
too late. Once the release is out we will have to be more selective
about which fixes can be merged for further 2.0.x releases. So it may
be, that we can not merge the fix you require. And then you will miss
out on all the new features.

== How to test ==

Download and install the 2.0 RC3.
- On Windows you can install as a 2ndary install, that will not affect
  your current install:
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Installation_of_multiple_Lazarus
- On other platforms, if you install to a new location you need to use
--primary-config-path

In either case you should make backups. (including your primary config)

Open your project in the current Lazarus (1.8.x), and use "Publish2
Project" from the project menu. This creates a clean copy of your
project.

You can then open that copy in the RC3. Please test:
- If you can edit forms in the designer
  - rename components / change properties in Object inspector / Add new
    events
  - Add components to form / Move components on form
  - Frames, if you use them
- If you can navigate the source code (e.g. jump to implementation)
- Auto completion in source code
- Compile, debug and run
- Anything else you use in your daily work

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 3 of 2.0

In this test installation of Lazarus 2.0.0RC3 the IDE does not show the
components palette, and under View -> Components the lists are empty.

This I did: Installed Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-Bit on an old x86 notebook.
Downloaded fpc-laz_3.0.4-1_i386.deb, fpc-src_3.0.4-1_i386 and
lazarus-project_2.0.0RC3-0_i386.deb from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/.

Then I installed the three deb files with GDebi and started the Lazarus
IDE. A warning "directory lcl not found" appeared. I clicked on "Start IDE".
Under Tools -> Options -> Environment, the field  "Lazarus directory" is
empty.

Regards --  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 3 of 2.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 21:36:58 +0100
Joe via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In this test installation of Lazarus 2.0.0RC3 the IDE does not show
> the components palette, and under View -> Components the lists are
> empty.
>
> This I did: Installed Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-Bit on an old x86
> notebook. Downloaded fpc-laz_3.0.4-1_i386.deb, fpc-src_3.0.4-1_i386
> and lazarus-project_2.0.0RC3-0_i386.deb from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/.
>
> Then I installed the three deb files with GDebi and started the
> Lazarus IDE. A warning "directory lcl not found" appeared. I clicked
> on "Start IDE". Under Tools -> Options -> Environment, the field
> "Lazarus directory" is empty.

If you installed Lazarus the first time on this computer, on start you
should see "Welcome to Lazarus 2.0.0RC3" and the Lazarus directory
should be set to" /usr/share/lazarus".

Are you sure you installed it for the first time?
Close the IDE, remove the ~/.lazarus directory and then start the IDE
again.

Am 02.02.2019 um 21:36 schrieb Joe via lazarus:

> Hi,
>
> In this test installation of Lazarus 2.0.0RC3 the IDE does not show
> the components palette, and under View -> Components the lists are empty.
>
> This I did: Installed Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-Bit on an old x86
> notebook. Downloaded fpc-laz_3.0.4-1_i386.deb, fpc-src_3.0.4-1_i386
> and lazarus-project_2.0.0RC3-0_i386.deb from
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/.
>
> Then I installed the three deb files with GDebi and started the
> Lazarus IDE. A warning "directory lcl not found" appeared. I clicked
> on "Start IDE".
> Under Tools -> Options -> Environment, the field  "Lazarus directory"
> is empty.
>
> Regards --  Joe

This problem depends on the user type of the logged on user. If we work
as Administrator or Desktop-Benutzer, the components are accessible. If
we work as a user of user type Default User, the components are not offered.

Joe

Am 02.02.2019 um 21:59 schrieb Mattias Gaertner via lazarus:

> On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 21:36:58 +0100
> Joe via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In this test installation of Lazarus 2.0.0RC3 the IDE does not show
>> the components palette, and under View -> Components the lists are
>> empty.
>>
>> This I did: Installed Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-Bit on an old x86
>> notebook. Downloaded fpc-laz_3.0.4-1_i386.deb, fpc-src_3.0.4-1_i386
>> and lazarus-project_2.0.0RC3-0_i386.deb from
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/.
>>
>> Then I installed the three deb files with GDebi and started the
>> Lazarus IDE. A warning "directory lcl not found" appeared. I clicked
>> on "Start IDE". Under Tools -> Options -> Environment, the field
>> "Lazarus directory" is empty.
> If you installed Lazarus the first time on this computer, on start you
> should see "Welcome to Lazarus 2.0.0RC3" and the Lazarus directory
> should be set to" /usr/share/lazarus".
>
> Are you sure you installed it for the first time?
> Close the IDE, remove the ~/.lazarus directory and then start the IDE
> again.
>
> Mattias

Hello, Mattias,

maybe (am not sure) in a first attempt  I had installed and deinstalled
Lazarus 1.6, which  is offered by this distro. Later when I tried to
install RC3, GDebi told me, there was an package conflict with fpc. I
did  sudo apt-get purge fpc and then sudo apt-get autoremove. Now RC3
could be installed.

Following your advice, I removed the ~/.lazarus directory of the default
user, and the problem was gone.

--  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 3 of 2.0

Two minor test findings:

Projekt -> Projekt veröffentlichen -> Zielverzeichnis: If the user
selects an empty directory, nevertheless a question window "Verzeichnis
leeren?" appears. Nonsense in this situation.
When a "Debuggerfehler" happens, the user is told "... Drücken Sie
<<Stop>>", but there is no Stop button, only a "Weiter"-Button and a
"Halt"-Button.

--  Joe

On 03/02/2019 00:48, Joe via lazarus wrote:

When a "Debuggerfehler" happens, the user is told "... Drücken Sie <<Stop>>", but there is no Stop button, only a "Weiter"-Button and a "Halt"-Button.

That must be an issue in the translation.

There are a "More" and a "Stop" button in the English version.

[Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

If for any reason the '.compiled'-file of a test project can't be
written, during compiling a message window "Fehler beim Schreiben der
Datei" appears. It contains two buttons: "Abbruch" und "Abbrechen"
(something like "Cancellation" and "Cancel").

-- Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:56 PM Joe via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> If for any reason the '.compiled'-file of a test project can't be
> written, during compiling a message window "Fehler beim Schreiben der
> Datei" appears. It contains two buttons: "Abbruch" und "Abbrechen"
> (something like "Cancellation" and "Cancel").

#: lclstrconsts.rsmbabort
msgid "Abort"
msgstr "Abbruch"

#: lclstrconsts.rscancelrecordhint
msgctxt "lclstrconsts.rscancelrecordhint"
msgid "Cancel"
msgstr "Abbrechen"

#: lclstrconsts.rsmbcancel
msgctxt "lclstrconsts.rsmbcancel"
msgid "Cancel"
msgstr "Abbrechen"

So there seems to be a dialog with [mbCancel,mbAbort] somewehere?
(From your post I gather there ar _only_ 2 buttons?)

If you set language to English, what do the buttons say?

B.t.w. Google translate suggest "Abtreibung" as translation for Abort
(it does not give any other suggestions), at least we don't use that
one ;-)
--
Bart

Am 04.02.2019 um 22:56 schrieb Bart via lazarus:
> So there seems to be a dialog with [mbCancel,mbAbort] somewehere?
> (From your post I gather there ar_only_  2 buttons?

Yes, the dialog with title "Fehler beim Schreiben der Datei" has only
two buttons.
I beg your pardon for this silly question: Where do I set the language
of Lazarus to English?

--  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:10 PM Joe via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yes, the dialog with title "Fehler beim Schreiben der Datei" has only
> two buttons.

That by itself is silly.

> I beg your pardon for this silly question: Where do I set the language
> of Lazarus to English?

> lazarus mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.lazarus-ide.org/listinfo/lazarus

Menu->Tools->Options->Environment->General: select "English [en]" from
the dropdownlist.
You'll have to restart the IDE for the language to change.

--
Bart

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 10:56 PM Bart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So there seems to be a dialog with [mbCancel,mbAbort] somewehere?
> (From your post I gather there ar _only_ 2 buttons?)
>
> If you set language to English, what do the buttons say?

Just tested:

[Window Title]
Error writing file

[Content]
Unable to write state file for project Project
Error: Unable to create file ".... test.compiled"

[Cancel] [Abort]

--
Bart

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:21 PM Bart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > So there seems to be a dialog with [mbCancel,mbAbort] somewehere?

function TLazarusBuilder.SaveIDEMakeOptions(Profile: TBuildLazarusProfile;
  Flags: TBuildLazarusFlags): TModalResult;
var
  Filename: String;
  fs: TFileStreamUTF8;
  OptionsAsText: String;
  except
    on E: Exception do begin
      Result:=IDEMessageDialog(lisLazBuildErrorWritingFile,
        Format(lisLazBuildUnableToWriteFile, [Filename, LineEnding])
        +E.Message,
        mtError,[mbCancel,mbAbort]);  <<<=====  There it is
      exit;
  Result:=mrOk;
end;

It does not seem to matter wether the user clicks Cancel or Abort in
this dialog though ;-)

--
Bart

[Lazarus] Lazarus 2 RC3 Bug or my fault?

I have a TListBox called LogBox in a test project and write strings with
LogBox.Items.Add(stringvar) to LogBox. But the lines don't follow each
other without space. There is space with approximately a half line hight
between them. In Delphi, the lines in TListBox follow each other without
this space.  Is this a Lazarus bug or did I miss something?

--  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:25 PM Bart <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry, not this one:

> function TLazarusBuilder.SaveIDEMakeOptions(Profile: TBuildLazarusProfile;
>   Flags: TBuildLazarusFlags): TModalResult;

but this one (in ide/project.pp):

function TProject.SaveStateFile(const CompilerFilename, CompilerParams: string;
  Complete: boolean): TModalResult;
  except
    on E: Exception do begin
      Result:=IDEMessageDialog(lisPkgMangErrorWritingFile,
        Format(lisProjMangUnableToWriteStateFileForProjectError,
               [IDAsString, LineEnding, E.Message]),
        mtError,[mbAbort,mbCancel]); <<== here
      exit;
  Result:=mrOk;

Bart

Re: [Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
And there seem to be at least 3 more dialogs with [mbCancel,mbAbort]
as buttons in the ide directory ...

Bart

Am 04.02.2019 um 23:34 schrieb Bart via lazarus:
> And there seem to be at least 3 more dialogs with [mbCancel,mbAbort]
> as buttons in the ide directory ...
>
> Bart

Very interesting finding, Bart.

--  Joe

Re: [Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 11:36 PM Joe via lazarus
<[hidden email]> wrote:

I asked on devel ML.

--
Bart

Re: [Lazarus] Translation Problem or IDE Error in Lazarus 2.0 RC3?

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 23:34:51 +0100
Bart via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> And there seem to be at least 3 more dialogs with [mbCancel,mbAbort]
> as buttons in the ide directory ...

On hindsight it probably would be wiser to use mbIgnore and mbAbort.

On 04/02/2019 23:43, Mattias Gaertner via lazarus wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 23:34:51 +0100
> Bart via lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And there seem to be at least 3 more dialogs with [mbCancel,mbAbort]
>> as buttons in the ide directory ...
> On hindsight it probably would be wiser to use mbIgnore and mbAbort.
>
> Mattias

InputFileDialog

Reading the code for InputFileDialog....
InputFileDialog is a modal form itself, and if you press ok, it does
some tests.
If the tests fail, it asks in another modal dlg. (the one with
mbAbort/mbCancel
Abort =>  InputFileDialog  closes with mrCancel
Cancel =>  InputFileDialog   stays open, and lets you select again

So maybe some of them did/do diff things, and other got copied and pasted?