[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

[Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list

The Lazarus team is glad to announce the first release candidate of
Lazarus 1.8.

This release was built with FPC 3.0.2.
The previous release Lazarus 1.6.4 was built with FPC 3.0.2 too.
The Linux releases are built with FPC 3.0.3 r36152 due to bug

Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 1.8.x:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.8_fixes_branch

Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.8.0_release_notes
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.2

The release is available for download on SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/

Choose your CPU, OS, distro and then the "Lazarus 1.8 RC1" directory.

Checksums for the SourceForge files:
http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=checksums#1_8_0

Minimum requirements:

Windows:
  2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.

FreeBSD/Linux:
  gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.2 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

Mac OS X:
  10.5 to 10.12, LCL only 32bit, non LCL apps can be 64bit.

The svn tag is
http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/lazarus_1_8_0_RC1

For people who are blocked by SF, the Lazarus releases from SourceForge are mirrored at:
ftp://freepascal.dfmk.hu/pub/lazarus/releases/
and later at (after some time for synchronization)
http://mirrors.iwi.me/lazarus/

== Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==

In the past weeks the Lazarus team has stabilized the 1.8 fixes branch. The resulting 1.8RC1 is now stable enough to be used by any one for test purposes.

However many of the fixes and new features that where committed since the release of 1.6 required changes to the code of existing features too. While we have tested those ourself, there may still be problems that only occur with very specific configurations or one project in a million.

Yes, it may be that you are the only person with a project, that will not work in the new IDE. So if you do not test, we can not fix it.

Please do not wait for the final release, in order to test. It may be too late. Once the release is out we will have to be more selective about which fixes can be merged for further 1.8.x releases. So it may be, that we can not merge the fix you require. And then you will miss out on all the new features.

== How to test ==

Download and install the 1.8 RC1.
- On Windows you can install as a 2ndary install, that will not affect your current install:
  http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Multiple_Lazarus#Installation_of_multiple_Lazarus
- On other platforms, if you install to a new location you need to use --primary-config-path

In either case you should make backups. (including your primary config)

Open your project in the current Lazarus (1.6.x), and use "Publish Project" from the project menu. This creates a clean copy of your project.

You can then open that copy in the RC1. Please test:
- If you can edit forms in the designer
   - rename components / change properties in Object inspector / Add new events
   - Add components to form / Move components on form
   - Frames, if you use them
- If you can navigate the source code (e.g. jump to implementation)
- Auto completion in source code
- Compile, debug and run
- Anything else you use in your daily work

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

On 17.05.2017 14:39, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:

> The Lazarus team is glad to announce the first release candidate of
> Lazarus 1.8.
>
> This release was built with FPC 3.0.2.
> The previous release Lazarus 1.6.4 was built with FPC 3.0.2 too.
> The Linux releases are built with FPC 3.0.3 r36152 due to bug
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=31629
>
> Here is the list of fixes for Lazarus 1.8.x:
> http://wiki.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.8_fixes_branch
>
> Here is the list of changes for Lazarus and Free Pascal:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Lazarus_1.8.0_release_notes
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/User_Changes_3.0.2
>
> The release is available for download on SourceForge:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazarus/files/
>
> Choose your CPU, OS, distro and then the "Lazarus 1.8 RC1" directory.
>
> Checksums for the SourceForge files:
> http://www.lazarus-ide.org/index.php?page=checksums#1_8_0
>
> Minimum requirements:
>
> Windows:
>   2k, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, 32 or 64bit.
>
> FreeBSD/Linux:
>   gtk 2.8 for gtk2, qt4.5 for qt, qt5.2 for qt5, 32 or 64bit.

Not good. Qt-5.6 is minimum required version (5.6.xx is LTS) not qt5.2 :)

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

El 17/05/17 a les 14:39, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:

> == Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==

I didn't test it yet but I checked it out from svn and I see that the
patch here

isn't included.

Is this version still supposed to work with fpc 2.6.4?

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 16:31, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus ha escrit:

> El 17/05/17 a les 14:39, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:
>
>> == Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==
>
> I didn't test it yet but I checked it out from svn and I see that the
> patch here
>
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30931
>
> isn't included.
>
> Is this version still supposed to work with fpc 2.6.4?

OK, I see now that it doesn't build with fpc 2.6.4 :-(

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

On Wed, 17 May 2017 16:31:33 +0200
Luca Olivetti via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El 17/05/17 a les 14:39, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:
>
> > == Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==
>
> I didn't test it yet but I checked it out from svn and I see that the
> patch here
>
> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30931
>
> isn't included.
>
> Is this version still supposed to work with fpc 2.6.4?

Yes.

I applied the patch. Thank You!

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 16:39, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:

> On Wed, 17 May 2017 16:31:33 +0200
> Luca Olivetti via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> El 17/05/17 a les 14:39, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:
>>
>>> == Why should everybody (including you) test the release candidate? ==
>>
>> I didn't test it yet but I checked it out from svn and I see that the
>> patch here
>>
>> https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30931
>>
>> isn't included.
>>
>> Is this version still supposed to work with fpc 2.6.4?
>
> Yes.

Well, in that case you'll have to comment/ifdef the use of "Default" in
components/codetools/finddeclarationtool.pas
It seems it's just used to silence a warning.

> I applied the patch. Thank You!

Thank you

--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

On Wed, 17 May 2017 16:34:14 +0200
Luca Olivetti via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:

>[...]
> > Is this version still supposed to work with fpc 2.6.4?
>
> OK, I see now that it doesn't build with fpc 2.6.4 :-(

Fixed.

The Lazarus devels only support the last two FPC releases, which means
3.0.0 and 3.0.2.
But as long as FPC 2.6.4 only needs a few IFDEFs, patches are welcome.

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 16:48, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:

> On Wed, 17 May 2017 16:34:14 +0200
> Luca Olivetti via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>>> Is this version still supposed to work with fpc 2.6.4?
>>
>> OK, I see now that it doesn't build with fpc 2.6.4 :-(
>
> Fixed.
>
> The Lazarus devels only support the last two FPC releases, which means
> 3.0.0 and 3.0.2.
> But as long as FPC 2.6.4 only needs a few IFDEFs, patches are welcome.
Ok.
A thing that broke from lazarus 1.6.4 is TLabel.OptimalFill.
It seems that, depending on the width of the label it just uses a tiny
amount of space, e.g., I put a label with the caption xxxx, height 140.
With width 200 the four x fill all the horizontal space, if I change it
to 300 they just occupy the top left corner (see attached image).
See also the bogus handles (is that the correct name?) in the middle of
the label. I saw those for quite a while (in lazarus 1.6.4) but it
didn't bother me.
This is on windows 7 32 bits.

Bye

optimalfill.png (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 17:29, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus ha escrit:

> El 17/05/17 a les 16:48, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus ha escrit:
>> On Wed, 17 May 2017 16:34:14 +0200
>> Luca Olivetti via Lazarus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> OK, I see now that it doesn't build with fpc 2.6.4 :-(
>>
>> Fixed.
>>
>> The Lazarus devels only support the last two FPC releases, which means
>> 3.0.0 and 3.0.2.
>> But as long as FPC 2.6.4 only needs a few IFDEFs, patches are welcome.
>
> Ok.
> A thing that broke from lazarus 1.6.4 is TLabel.OptimalFill.
> It seems that, depending on the width of the label it just uses a tiny
> amount of space, e.g., I put a label with the caption xxxx, height 140.
> With width 200 the four x fill all the horizontal space, if I change it
> to 300 they just occupy the top left corner (see attached image).
FWIW it does the same with linux/gtk2 and, boy, the ide is *ugly*:
giant, blurred, icons everywhere, giant fonts in the tabs of the
components' palette, giant fonts in the object inspector...you get the
drift.
The fonts in the editor seems fine, but maybe it's because I changed the
default a long time ago.

uglyide.png (82K) Download Attachment

On 17.05.2017 17:38, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
> FWIW it does the same with linux/gtk2 and, boy, the ide is *ugly*:
> giant, blurred, icons everywhere, giant fonts in the tabs of the
> components' palette, giant fonts in the object inspector...you get the
> drift.
> The fonts in the editor seems fine, but maybe it's because I changed
> the default a long time ago.

What is your DPI settings?

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 17:43, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:
> On 17.05.2017 17:38, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>> FWIW it does the same with linux/gtk2 and, boy, the ide is *ugly*:
>> giant, blurred, icons everywhere, giant fonts in the tabs of the
>> components' palette, giant fonts in the object inspector...you get the
>> drift.
>> The fonts in the editor seems fine, but maybe it's because I changed
>> the default a long time ago.
>
> What is your DPI settings?

Is this the correct way to check?
$ xdpyinfo | grep dots
   resolution:    143x144 dots per inch

Bye

On 17.05.2017 17:47, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:

> El 17/05/17 a les 17:43, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:
>> On 17.05.2017 17:38, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>>> FWIW it does the same with linux/gtk2 and, boy, the ide is *ugly*:
>>> giant, blurred, icons everywhere, giant fonts in the tabs of the
>>> components' palette, giant fonts in the object inspector...you get
>>> the drift.
>>> The fonts in the editor seems fine, but maybe it's because I changed
>>> the default a long time ago.
>>
>> What is your DPI settings?
>
> Is this the correct way to check?

Yes it is.

> $ xdpyinfo | grep dots
>   resolution:    143x144 dots per inch

You use 150% scaling (96 DPI = 100%), so Lazarus is also scaled by 150%.

It's a new feature :)

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 17:52, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:

> On 17.05.2017 17:47, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>>>
>>> What is your DPI settings?
>>
>> Is this the correct way to check?
>
> Yes it is.
>
>> $ xdpyinfo | grep dots
>>   resolution:    143x144 dots per inch
>
> You use 150% scaling (96 DPI = 100%), so Lazarus is also scaled by 150%.
>
> It's a new feature :)

Well, if it is, it's broken: every other application (either kde or gtk)
shows fine, the only ugly one is lazarus :-(
OTOH in the plasma control panel I see no option to set the dpi, the
only one I could find is "screen scaling" which is set at the lowest
possible value (1), if I set it to 3 the preview shows elements (fonts,
tabs, buttons, etc.) 3 times as big (duh!).
There's a section to select the gtk theme but it doesn't have an option
to select the dpi either (just the gtk2 theme, the gtk3 one and the font).

Bye

On 17.05.2017 18:55, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:

> El 17/05/17 a les 17:52, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:
>> You use 150% scaling (96 DPI = 100%), so Lazarus is also scaled by 150%.
>>
>> It's a new feature :)
>
> Well, if it is, it's broken: every other application (either kde or
> gtk) shows fine, the only ugly one is lazarus :-(
> OTOH in the plasma control panel I see no option to set the dpi, the
> only one I could find is "screen scaling" which is set at the lowest
> possible value (1), if I set it to 3 the preview shows elements
> (fonts, tabs, buttons, etc.) 3 times as big (duh!).
> There's a section to select the gtk theme but it doesn't have an
> option to select the dpi either (just the gtk2 theme, the gtk3 one and
> the font).

It looks to me like this issue:
https://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=31199

Linux is doing something very not-standard again :/ (Having various
settings for DPI...)

Ondrej

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

El 17/05/17 a les 18:55, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus ha escrit:

> El 17/05/17 a les 17:52, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:
>> On 17.05.2017 17:47, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>>> El 17/05/17 a les 17:43, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:

>>> Is this the correct way to check?
>>
>> Yes it is.
>>
>>> $ xdpyinfo | grep dots
>>>   resolution:    143x144 dots per inch
>>
>> You use 150% scaling (96 DPI = 100%), so Lazarus is also scaled by 150%.
>>
>> It's a new feature :)
>
> Well, if it is, it's broken: every other application (either kde or gtk)
> shows fine, the only ugly one is lazarus :-(
> OTOH in the plasma control panel I see no option to set the dpi, the
> only one I could find is "screen scaling" which is set at the lowest
> possible value (1), if I set it to 3 the preview shows elements (fonts,
> tabs, buttons, etc.) 3 times as big (duh!).
> There's a section to select the gtk theme but it doesn't have an option
> to select the dpi either (just the gtk2 theme, the gtk3 one and the font).
The ide compiled with the qt widgetset doesn't show the same problem
(though it doesn't seem to be using the same fonts as other kde
applications)

Bye

notsouglybutnotquiteright.png (27K) Download Attachment

On 17.05.2017 19:08, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:

> The ide compiled with the qt widgetset doesn't show the same problem
> (though it doesn't seem to be using the same fonts as other kde
> applications)

KDE Plasma is using Qt5, but ide is Qt4, so in Qt4 config you can set
same fonts as they are in KDE Plasma and they will be exactly same.
It's bug in KDE, since applying any setting to Qt5 (via KDE settings),
should apply same applicable settings for Qt4 applications.
Besides that, you can build cbindings for Qt5 and rebuild lazarus
against Qt5 widgetset to see if there's any difference.

zeljko

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

El 17/05/17 a les 19:05, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:

> On 17.05.2017 18:55, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>> El 17/05/17 a les 17:52, Ondrej Pokorny via Lazarus ha escrit:
>>> You use 150% scaling (96 DPI = 100%), so Lazarus is also scaled by 150%.
>>>
>>> It's a new feature :)
>>
>> Well, if it is, it's broken: every other application (either kde or
>> gtk) shows fine, the only ugly one is lazarus :-(
>> OTOH in the plasma control panel I see no option to set the dpi, the
>> only one I could find is "screen scaling" which is set at the lowest
>> possible value (1), if I set it to 3 the preview shows elements
>> (fonts, tabs, buttons, etc.) 3 times as big (duh!).
>> There's a section to select the gtk theme but it doesn't have an
>> option to select the dpi either (just the gtk2 theme, the gtk3 one and
>> the font).
>
> It looks to me like this issue:
> https://mantis.freepascal.org/view.php?id=31199
>
> Linux is doing something very not-standard again :/ (Having various
> settings for DPI...)

Could be (though I'm using kubuntu instead of ubuntu so the settings are
different) but every other application shows (apparently) fine....

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

El 17/05/17 a les 19:19, zeljko ha escrit:

> On 17.05.2017 19:08, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>
>> The ide compiled with the qt widgetset doesn't show the same problem
>> (though it doesn't seem to be using the same fonts as other kde
>> applications)
>
> KDE Plasma is using Qt5, but ide is Qt4, so in Qt4 config you can set
> same fonts as they are in KDE Plasma and they will be exactly same.
> It's bug in KDE, since applying any setting to Qt5 (via KDE settings),
> should apply same applicable settings for Qt4 applications.
> Besides that, you can build cbindings for Qt5 and rebuild lazarus
> against Qt5 widgetset to see if there's any difference.

It took me a while to see that the c bindings are included, the
README.txt in the lcl/interfaces/qt5 directory just says:

"To use them you also need to download and install
at appropriate place the libQt5Pas.so (linux)
or Qt5Pas.dll (ms windows) or Qt5Pas.framework (Darwin).

For more information see:
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Qt_Interface"

So, after unsuccessfully compiling the beta version from
http://users.telenet.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/fpcqt4.html I finally
found http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qt5_Interface which says that
the bindings are included :-/
They're building now.

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 19:59, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus ha escrit:

> El 17/05/17 a les 19:19, zeljko ha escrit:
>> On 17.05.2017 19:08, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus wrote:
>>
>>> The ide compiled with the qt widgetset doesn't show the same problem
>>> (though it doesn't seem to be using the same fonts as other kde
>>> applications)
>>
>> KDE Plasma is using Qt5, but ide is Qt4, so in Qt4 config you can set
>> same fonts as they are in KDE Plasma and they will be exactly same.
>> It's bug in KDE, since applying any setting to Qt5 (via KDE settings),
>> should apply same applicable settings for Qt4 applications.
>> Besides that, you can build cbindings for Qt5 and rebuild lazarus
>> against Qt5 widgetset to see if there's any difference.
>

> It took me a while to see that the c bindings are included, the
> README.txt in the lcl/interfaces/qt5 directory just says:
>
> "To use them you also need to download and install
> at appropriate place the libQt5Pas.so (linux)
> or Qt5Pas.dll (ms windows) or Qt5Pas.framework (Darwin).
>
> For more information see:
> http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/Qt_Interface"
>
> So, after unsuccessfully compiling the beta version from
> http://users.telenet.be/Jan.Van.hijfte/qtforfpc/fpcqt4.html I finally
> found http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Qt5_Interface which says that
> the bindings are included :-/
> They're building now.

Excellent, this is OK, with my selected fonts and correctly sized icons.
It still has the problem with optimalfill, so it's definitely not
platform specific.

Meanwhile I see that in the plasma font setting I have the dpi forced to
96, a setting that apparently is respected both by qt4 and qt5 (as well
as gtk applications).

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.3010)  Fax +34 93 5883007

Re: [Lazarus] Lazarus Release Candidate 1 of 1.8.0

Free Pascal - Lazarus mailing list
El 17/05/17 a les 20:16, Luca Olivetti via Lazarus ha escrit:
> Excellent, this is OK, with my selected fonts and correctly sized icons.
> It still has the problem with optimalfill, so it's definitely not
> platform specific.

See https://youtu.be/NFZGVx7V2C0

Bye